Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider, Mid-lifer, Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by razorammo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Intro: 41, Sydney, been on my Ls for 3 weeks and riding every day (even in the rain) since. Picked up a little cruiser, Kawasaki VN250 - my first bike and couldn't be more proud of her!

I mentioned "mid-lifer", since I see that term in the forums. I'm not offended by it - it is what it is I guess? If its any help, riding a motorbike is something that's been in the works for the last 23 years. I traveled the USA last year in a convertible(mid-life-thing, I know) and only wish I did it on a motorbike. Maybe after 10-20 years from now my wife might realise that this is more than a mid-life-thing and something that I can incorporate in my lifestyle. This last 3 weeks being outside my comfort zone have been great! I'm looking forward to a leisurely ride to Canberra and maybe Melb end of the year.

Current issues: Stalling in intersections when I don't get to shift all the way down to 1st. Stalling when stopped on a incline. Going past 80km is a big deal for me still. :unsure: I think I'm shifting to 6th too early?

So, there's my long-courtesy-intro, looking forward to being part of the forums. I love the "New Riders and Riding Tips" - I've learned more there than the 7.5hr learner's training? ;) Thanks!!!

2. G'day, doesn't matter when you start as long as you have fun. Practice your skills, E braking etc.
    There is a lot of good stuff on here if you spend the time looking, read up then go put it into practice, you'll be surprised how quick you gain confidence.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions there are some experienced riders on here (myself not included) who seem happy to offer their advice.
    The dickheads, well you'll work out who they are pretty quickly :)
  3. welcome matey, your going to have a blast here, I know I am, And agree with the new riders forum, I'll probably read that long into my riding career!
  4. G'day champ. Similar story myself. Bought my first bike just in august. Unfortunately it's been having a few probs with the carbs. I've learnt a lot about them but have had to resign to leaving to the professionals to fix. It's been with motorcycle weaponry in mona vale for last two weeks whilst they try and get the parts :( I've heard good things about them and I'm sure it'll be fixed soon just frustrating not being on the bike!!
    Anyway enjoy netrider. Lots of good advice here and I welcome even the smallest bit. Add all the advice together and you get a great check list.
  5. Welcome!
    Since you are in Sydney get yourself to the learner sessions at Homebush. You'll find a thread on it. They might be able to help you out with those stalls to begin with and the course for the P's.
  6. welcome aboard mate ^^^ this and got to love your choice of bike (y) Ive got the EL model great little bikes
  7. Hello and welcome, I only started mid-year last year and it's been great.
  8. Welcome along. Enjoy the fun
  9. Welcome to NR and enjoy your ride.
  10. Welcome to NR and do visit the learner sessions at homebush even just to say hello but im sure you'll be tempted to give it a go. :)
  11. A "mid-lifer" would pick up a panigale and park it next to the nearest coffee shop.
  12. Welcome!

I'm new myself, and being late 30s, I can relate to what you've just said. Awaiting delivery of my bike soon, and can't wait!
  13. Welcome, there's many Sydney based riders here who can help you with your skills or just to ride along with you.

Do check out the Saturday sessions at Olympic park - there's many year's expertise just waiting to be tapped there - it's a great friendly atmosphere and completely safe (when Madazz isn't there :wacky: ).

Enjoy the ride.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Welcome to NR!
  15. Thanks everyone! Will definitely visit the olympic park riders next Saturday
    ...I feel so welcomed already :happy: