Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider, maintenance lesson please.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Zugfrig78, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Hi OK, got my L's (tick) got a bike (tick) up and riding arround (tick) gaining confidence (tick) so i am getting there, baby steps. Importantly though being a new rider (all of 3 weeks) the teacher and hand book dont talk much about maintenance????

What should i be doing Daily/Weekly/Monthly even Yearly to the bike.

I have a 97 Virago, (l platers commodore) so general help as well as model specific help would be great. Oh and spell it out to i you could cause at the moment im looking down and i just see a lot of crome and wires (lol), i do however know where the petrol goes!!!!!!!

2. Check the chain weekly, and give it a spray every second.
    Tyre pressure weekly as well
    Change the oil every 5000k
    Change the filter every second service
    Spark plugs every 10k or so
    Valve Clearences at the same time with cam chain tension as well

That's about normal for a lot of people, I halve most of those.

3. If you feel the need to spray your chain every second, its time for a Scottoiler :LOL:

4. :p

Oh, and bleed the brakes every 6-9 months. Take a look at the wear indicators on your pads at the same time.

Whatever you do, never ever trust a mechanic with your bike.

5. some mechanics are fine

never trust a delership thou

6. True, I was probably wrong.

However, the odds that a mechanic will actually go near your bike are limited.

More than likely it'll be a pimply faced kid who couldn't give two shits about you and your mode of transport. It's in everybody's interest to try and tackle your bike yourself.

I personally have real trouble trusting somebody else with something i find so personal. But hey, that's me. And I don't own an inline four.

7. Z, have you got a bike manual? It has suggested weekly tasks.

Don't rely on a mechanic to clean and lube your chain. They'll give it a quick wipe and lather it in wax, which is about as useful as sand in your budgie smugglers.

You can avoid chain care and replace it and sprockets regularly, or learn to give it some TLC and ride around for a very long time before you need a replacement.