Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

new rider intro

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by terrym, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Hi Folks,
    After a 10 year absence from the motorized two wheel scene I am back :). Rode a range of far too fast bikes when I was younger and my one regret is not actually getting my license back then. In those days ‘L’ plates lasted 12 months, had no points or restrictions (if you had a black car license) so there was no incentive (in fact big incentive against) getting you license. Now having had to go through the ‘L’ course and not looking forward to wasting time and money on the P course and test am I ever pissed at myself.
    I have joined the Scooter set this time round for my 10K commute from Frenchs Forest to Chatswood. My Scoot: The EVT 4000e, a full sized electric Scooter and I am having a ball riding this thing. It is a perfect match for my commute.
    It is roughly equivalent to a 50cc scoot (about 3Hp) and on the flat is does 65-70Klm/hr, yes it slows down on hills, and I cover two of the biggest hills on the North shore every day up and down from the Roseville bridge. But in reality, at the times that I ride, I am actually faster then the general traffic anyway, particularly in the mornings. In the evenings I am usually a bit slow going up the big hill (45Klm/hr – 50Klm/hr) but this is often behind a bus or not a problem as there are three lanes up the hill anyway.
    No it does not just ‘shift the carbon output’; the 40c of electricity that I use to charge creates far less carbon etc. than the equivalent distance traveled by a petrol vehicle. You can also offset this by choosing to have some of your power come from ‘green’ sources.
    No there is not a heavy metal problem with lead acid batteries; in fact lead acid batteries are one of the world’s most successful recycling stories, close to 95%. Most new batteries are 80% or more recycled lead.
    Range for my type of riding and terrain is about 30Klm, perhaps a bit more but this is perfect for my commute. Plug it in when I get home, unplug and go in the morning.
    Yes batteries are a cost at the moment, about 300-350 charges with a cost of $700 to replace, for me this means $2.30 odd per day. This is far less that it costs me to ride the bus and offset against fuel/servicing (of a petrol vehicle) and importantly future costs of the planet falling apart it is my donation to my kids future.
    I am hoping/betting that battery technology will improve and reduce in cost over the next 1.5 years so that my replacement costs will be less that the above figure as well as getting a little bit lighter.
    No, the prious and or the fabled hydrogen cars are not good ideas, in fact they a blinds set up by the entrenched interests to suck up all the monies allocated to solving the transport carbon problem to ensure that a solution is not found.
    I always wear my full face and proper jacket and gloves, don’t wear proper pants etc unless raining but still better than nothing ïŠ
    I am always very careful where and how I park my scoot, never taking up too much room or ever blocking someone else in. I never cut lanes if there is no blockage beyond the next intersection, in other words I am aware that I am on a slightly slower vehicle and never want someone to have to overtake me twice. Of course peak hour traffic with bumper to bumper as far as the eye can see is always fair game.
    On a final note I noticed someone posting that being silent is a bad thing, for goodness sake is that really the best you can come up with as an objection. By that logic push bikes should be banned as well (don’t alright, just don’t!). This sort of thinking and objections are going to create a real problem in the not too distant future, I am not a rqabid greeny, my other transport is somewhat less fuel eficiant than most, but ……

So I think that covers everything for those in this forum, those that visit from other forums and those that seem to have an axe to grind. I will be thinking of you all as I ride my magic carpet home this evening.

2. Welcome, Terry, and, please, step up for the prize of the longest first post of 2007 :LOL: :) :wink:.

Interesting stuff, and I can see you point about not needing much speed when you're sitting in traffic that's barely moving.
  3. Hi Terry, welcome to the forum! I have nothing against your ride, but since you invited a comeback, I will say that looking at the economics of all this, it would still be cheaper to run something like a postie or a new Sachs 150kn - if you say it works out to $2.30 per day, that same amount spent on petrol would buy you about 40kms on a small conventionally powered vehicle, and that on top of lower initial purchase cost (postie say around 1,200, Sachs brand new a bit over 2,000).

But it probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference. These scoots have their place, and I'm a great fan of choosing the right tool for the job rather than trying to turn your choice of ride into some sort of religion - I own a car, and a bike, and these days I'm in a lucky position where my place of work is less than 6kms from my home, so I just hop on a pushbike for my commute.

Enjoy your ride!
  4. Hi Terry,

Welcome to this forum. Glad you’re back on two wheels and enjoying your commute.

If Sydney drivers had better attitude, I would be still riding my now 25 years old pushbike (still operational!) for my daily 60k ride to work, however after being pushed off the road a few times, I decided (20 years ago) that it was time to switch the lightweight racer for the occasional weekend ride and commute with my motorbikes.

Happy scooting

5. Hey there! I'll wave when I pass you ;) I'm in narrabeen and commute to the city during uni semester.

And I think what people have said about them being silent is not an issue for the danger of others, but moreso an issue of danger for yourself as you don't have any sound pronouncing your location. Whereas slightly beefy sounding bikes can be heard or felt when close.

My mate has 5-6 priuses in his family/business. Under 4L/100kms when its freeway driving, 4-6L/100kms in normal city traffic. The extra cost of initial price + expensive and specialized and maintenance may indeed outway the benefits, but I think they are a good thing in some ways. Sure they might not be that much better than an average car when you factor in unique servicing, battery, build costs, etc. compared to a hatchback, but they are getting people aware of the importance of the issues.

Further, people buying them demonstrates that there is a market for alternative fueling technologies, something that is necessary for companies to spent millions on R&D for future projects.
  6. Hi Folks,
    Thanks for the welcome, funny how first posts end up. I had just found your forums and had read back over the last few months of posts and ended up putting my thoughts from all those other posts in a single reply.
    If you hadn't read the previous posts then some of the above may be a bit out of context. On top of this I had just finished watching 'who killed the electric car' and boy am I hopping mad about that one. Not what they did, still a free world, but the blatant openness in the way they operated.
    All aside what a wonderful morning in Sydney for a Scoot to work, almost turned off at the last intersection and headed for the beach.