Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider in Brissy!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Captain115, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,

New Brisvegas rider here, just got my Honda CBF250 at the start of 2012 and my license about a week before that so I'm very fresh. Decided that I needed transport to uni (UQ) and this, coupled with the fact that parking at uni between 10-2 is horrendous, made me start to look at bikes. Plus parking works out to be $2 a week for me as opposed to what I would be paying in a car, $15+ a week.

Before doing my Qride course, I had only ridden around a couple of times on a mate's 1980s 2-stroke farm bike when I was 15. However my dad has been riding all his life and I've seen 6 or 7 bikes go through our house over the years (BMW R1200GS, F800GS, F650, Ducati 9-something, some old BMW touring bikes etc). As such, it wasn't really a struggle to convince my parents to give it their blessing ditto with the girlfriend.

Best of all, I've found that having a bike as a cheap commuter has an added benefit: it's ****ing awesome fun!!! So much so that my housemate bought a bike too (see: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=130035#.T0oRmvWD-9V) and another friend is seriously considering buying one.

All my gear seemed to appear out of nowhere: spare gloves, jacket, jeans from dad and my helmet was bought for my mother, however she only wore it once, and it luckily and surprisingly fits my head perfectly!

So now I've spent my time riding the new toy, reading about bikes, fixing/restoring my housemate's bike and generally loving life. This seems like a great community and one which I think I'll fit in perfectly.

Cheers everyone, thanks for reading.

2. Welcome to NR, John. Uni parking was the reason I originally got my first bike too - no regrets. :D
  3. Welcome John. Dan from Ipswich here. I've only been on netrider a week and have found it very useful and fun. Cheers
  4. Welcome to NR john, from sunny melbourne :)
  5. Hey John,

I also got my bike for UQ parking (Currently tutoring), been going at it since June last year now and loving every second of it. Nothing better than riding into uni and parking literally outside your building.
  6. Thanks for the replies everyone, this is a lovely community here :)!

Razorwire42, I know what you mean about the parking, and the fact it's so cheap also helps. Just wondering if you knew what the parking enforcing was like if you park your bike (that already has a permit etc) beside a bike park. Because there are these 4 parks near the psychology building I'd love to park in but are technically full. However you could easily fit another 6 or 7 more bikes in there. Thoughts?

Cheers everyone,
  7. Hey mate, did any of that gear I dropped around fit?

Also, we should go for a ride some time.

8. Welcome to NR. (y)
  9. Couldn't tell you from experience, but I have heard from a friend that the only time he got a motorbike ticket was when he didn't have a permit (The ticket costs more than the permit for the year too...)

The general opinion is that they never really specifically check the motorbikes unless they happen to be walking past anyway, and I can't see it being a problem if you have a permit unless you are blocking something.