Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider in Adelaide

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by LeelooDallas, Aug 2, 2014.

1. #1 LeelooDallas, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2014
    Hi cellipatch58
    I'm also from Adelaide. Might as well introduce myself here.
    Lately I've been getting obsessed with motorcycles and I blame motovloggers for this. I'm considering getting my learners but so far fear is stopping me.

Some advise from you and fellow forumheads would be greatly appreciated.

What did you think of the Rider Safe course? Can you seriously learn to ride in just 2 days? For someone who doesn't know any riders and has never even sat on a bike, this worries me. I have no idea how I will learn. I've had my full "cager" :p licence for about 5 years (manual). I don't think I drive like an idiot, never been in an accident or damaged my car. How, what, where huh ah le noob.

Justus: moved from cellipatch58's welcome thread

2. #3 cjvfr, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
    Welcome @LeelooDallas@LeelooDallas
    In answer to your question, riding is a continuous learning exercise. The two day course will give you the basics and from there on you need to work on it yourself. There are other riders on the site that have offered some great advice. If you put your hand up you may get one of the more experienced SA riders to come out and offer some tips.

In short, ease in to it i.e. don't immediately set off on a round Australia trip after your two day course, find some quiet places to practice, and don't be afraid just cautious. All the best.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Hi and welcome. Can you ride a bicycle ? If so you will be able to sit on and stay upright on a motorcycle. The trick is getting used to using the brakes and clutch while keeping your balance, this will be taught in the course. Remember in theory at least most people at the course on the first day will be in a similar position. Take it easy and stay calm you will be surprised how quickly you get the hang of it.
  4. Thanks everyone

Yeah I'll continue reading "New Riders and Riding Tips" even though it can be overwhelming sometimes.

Btw I felt a lot happier yesterday. It was a
    nice day in Adelaide so within 10 minutes of driving I've seen about 5 riders around my suburb. One of them even lives a few houses from me. I'll bug you all with question in the future or just stalk my neighbour hah
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome, I was nervous to start with, still am to a degree I guess. The course seemed satisfactory, taught the basics, the instructors were good. Something I found helped with confidence was going out to a quiet hills road with an 80kph limit sooner rather than later and getting comfortable with speed and lean; it made all my riding easier for some reason.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. welcome aboard :]
  7. Welcome to Nutrider! :wacky:
  8. Gurbachen I've been lurking here for long enough to know not to answer that question auch.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Boooooooooo!!! :p
  10. Hi, I'm a recently new rider, did the Rider Safe course about 3 months ago. I rode dirt bikes as a kid but that was quite a while ago so I considered myself to be a complete noob as well. I found the course was informative and well delivered (St Mary's venue) and gave me some confidence to get out on the road. Since then I've done a couple of 1000 km in city traffic and getting up into the hills. I have a couple of friends that ride and have done a few rides with them but predominantly ride solo. I've found some carparks that are empty at night and I find these are good for practising the basics as well.

Give it a go. Fear is healthy and helps keep you alert ;)
  11. Fear is UNhealthy and it causes riders to have reactions that can result in crashes (AKA survival responses, or SR's).

Ride such that you feel comfortable, with ability to spare "just in case" of emergency, and practice good technique. Speed will come with time and practice.

Fear kills riders. Fear is absolutely not healthy! If there's fear in your riding, you're getting it wrong, and you need to change what you're doing before it kills you.
  12. Traff what is Adelaide traffic like on 2 wheels? Have you found yourself in any tight situations because of other drivers? Is it my fear asking these questions haha

haha danny_tb now I will be afraid of being afraid jk :p I get what you're saying though. My problem is that my family and bf don't think it's a good idea so they constantly have negative stories to tell. Sometimes it can be difficult to ignore them.
  13. It's called phobophobia. :p

I don't think that there will be any experienced rider around here who would tell you that riding isn't dangerous to some degree (unless they're pulling your leg, or seriously deluded), but a life lived in fear is a life not lived. Heck, people die of heart attacks while playing lawn bowls! What is needed for riding is a healthy dose of sensibility. By this, I don't mean riding like a granny or grandpa. I mean riding within the limits of the rider, bike, and conditions, with 20% to 30% of your ability etc, up your sleeve to allow yourself the ability to react to emergency situations without getting out of your depth.

Will this mean that you're guaranteed not to crash? No, but it will give you the best chance of surviving unscathed possible. It won't even guarantee that you'll never have moments of fear while riding, but it will minimise them.

Of course, this is all just a strategic plan, and there are many riding, roadcraft, mental, and observational techniques that need to be learned too, so don't take it as the be-all and end-all. In fact, learning the techniques is part of the fun of riding (learning is ongoing, I might add), and there are many analogies that are relevant to general self-improvement for those who are interested in that type of thing.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Danny is right, you should be cautious not fearful. Fear will cause you to freeze up and not assess the situation as dispassionately as possible.

The situation with family is a common one, they want to keep you safe and perceive an increased risk in motorcycling. It never stops people will always believe they need to tell you that motorcycling is dangerous and you should stop riding. You need to show your family that you love the pastime, that it is part of your life and that you treat it seriously. If they are looking for a birthday or Christmas present for you hint they can buy you an intermediate riding course. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. If I might offer an answer; I haven't found myself in any tight(traffic) situations for a while because I've always focused on defensive riding in traffic. Things like avoiding blind spots, passing rapidly or not at all, if I see someone with a mobile or otherwise distracted I make a mental note to move away if possible. Knowing bits of road where people tend to make poor decisions like where a lane ends shortly after an intersection. It's more stressful riding in traffic sure but truth be told I'm more concerned the prospect of hitting gravel in the Hills. Mental peace through action or something.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hi leeloo.

I passed the rider safe course on June 1 and have been commuting from hills to city ever since, only avoiding really wet days. I bought a bike in may I think it was and did stick some Ls on and start riding around the back streets beforehand. The course was really good and having done day 1 twice I can say some instructors have more riding knowledge than others. However all three instructors were highly competent and professional. The Ls test is easy if you can operate a motorcycle safely which is exactly as it should be. From there you begin the life long journey of learning to ride a motorcycle.

I've found the traffic to be be easy. Adelaide drivers do get close on occasions but I have no incidents of note yet. I'm very defensive in my position on the road.

Eta. I had never ridden a bike before.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks for the replies guys. :)
    Reading what you're talking about on here and watching some motovloggers explaining the exact thing has been really helpful. Time to make that RiderSafe booking!
    @magicziggy@magicziggy :D that's what I wanted to hear.