Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider - GS500E questions

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by fozzy, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Hi Guys and Gals,

It seems that the GS500's rate very highly for a bit larger new rider. I am looking to purchase one and have come across a 92 500E with 49,000 Ks on it for around $2200
    Mechanically it looks great, started effortlessly and I can't see any leaks. Appearance wise it's a little sad - the paintwork on the top of the tank is badly crazed and the decals are pretty sad. It doesn't look like it's been for a slide, looks like it may have had a standing drop at some stage.

So a few questions:
    1. Is this good value?
    2. Is there anything in particular I should look out for on this year model?
    3. Any idea how much a respray would be likely to cost in Sydney?
    4. Should I buy this bike???

Also, I'm totally new to riding, so I will also need to have a big spend up on gear. Can anyone suggest a good dealer who will look after me on a bundle of everything I need head to toe?

Sorry for asking so many questions, but this forum has been awesome for a total newbie like me - I've learned so much! So - Thanks!

I'm really looking forward to meeting a few of you and enjoying my new found passion.

Cheers big ears!

2. Can't answer all those quesitons mate but a full respray in 1 colour - your looking at $700 and upto $1000 for a really good job.

GS500s are good reliable bikes, great to learn on, $2200 sounds like a fair price - if you can, get someone that knows about bikes to come and check it out with you cause it sounds like it hasn't had the greatest treatment in its life.
  3. Motorcycle Accesories Wharehouse in Castle Hill is quite decent. they gave me a learner discount and know about netrider. I have no affiliation with them so this is just my experience. MCAS Motorcycle Accesories Supermarket in Paramatta is also good in my experience.
  4. Woohoo!

Purchased the GS500 this afternoon. With a little TLC she'll be good as new soon.

Hmmm, now to get my licence...

:grin: :p

5. OK, I have just offloaded a 93 GS500E after 87,000kms so you probably have a fair bit of life left in it. Mine was using minimal oil after all that time and with some care and attention (that i could no longer be bothered giving it) then it had many miles to go yet....

Things worth checking:

Gearshift lever splines are ok?
    Gearbox output shaft (under the front sprocket) is ok?
    Discs are in good condition?

Thats about it.
  6. in regards to where you can get gear from. i went to bike biz in parramatta. they do deals if you want to buy a few things at once i.e helmet gloves jacket etc. not sure how comparable their prices are as i havnt really shopped anywhere else. but i got a helmet (hjc) a nice jacket and gloves for $450. if i added up all the prices seperatly i think i saved bout $200-$300 so not bad.
  7. Thanks Enzise - appreciate that, looks like they did you a great deal.

I've been looking at a few jackets today - there's lots to choose from.

I really like the concept of the Dririder Climate Control 2. They didn't have one in my size in stock, so it was hard to get a feel for the fit. Other thing is, it's a shorter jacket.

What have peoples experiences been with short vs long jackets?

Also, how important do you think armour is in a jacket? There's another Dririder that I really like but the armour feels flimsy and moves around.

BTW, certainly not fixed on Dririder, any other great jackets to suggest?

I'm also looking at trousers, thinking the Draggin jeans might not be the go, and perhaps a pair of armoured riding pants might be better? Joe Rocket have a great pair with a big zip out panel for ventilation (nothing like a wind up you shorts...) Any opinions here would be great too.

Thanks again guys!
  8. if you dont mind looking like a quambie, the textile armoured pants are a much better way to go. ive put holes through my draggins in offs. dririder is great gear, ive got the nordic pants and jacket, done many miles in em and they dont look too worse for wear. leather is better if you can afford it, but textile fairs better in a low speed prang. ie leathers will get scuffed up easily. the ixon stuff seems pretty good value for money aswell. you get what you pay for but, the more expensive, the more comfortable, the more protection. (too a point)