Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider Gear: Please critque

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Hypervisor, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Hey all,

This isn't real a A vs. B kind of Question, it's more a generalized - Is this "ok"/"overkill" etc. Below is my first lot of riding gear (soon to be Learner), just wondering if I'm going to look silly putting around looking like Rossi :p Any tips?

I will collect more stuff as i gain experience, for the time being I will stick to being a fair weather rider. Not riding too far from home & until i get more experience to ride in night/rain conditions.

Helmet: Bell RS-1 ($399)
    Helmet Visor: Clear Visor ($59)
    Gloves: Alpinestars SP-1 Black ($143)
    Jacket: Alpinestars GP-Plus Leather Jackets ($440)
    Shoes: Alpinestars Hydro-Sport Drysta ($265)
    Pants: Hornee Unisex Black Cargo ($199)
    Spine Guard: Alpinestars Bionic Back Protector ($179)

Total ($1684)

2. Shop around, try it on.
    To be honest, i was fairly dissapointed with the quality and feel of Alpinestar gear including the above in comparison to other manufacturers.
    Harsh and in my opinion overpriced for what it is.
    Some of the smaller companies such as Shark Leathers do some good value gear. Im very happy with my jacket and gloves so far.
  3. Is this stuff you have already bought or the shopping list?

Nothing wrong with the quality if you have the dosh ...

er ... have you ridden before?
  4. This is still a shopping list :) & I have the cash, I've always bought the cheapest cars < $2500 so i have some left over dosh.

I have ridden before, Postie & A little Honda Z50R - But nothing on the road. My major problem is convincing the family it's safe, So i'm trying to get some good gear, also to be safe too :rolleyes:

Do you think this is overkill? - I know it's not really comparable but i'm a competitive Road Cyclist, so i have balance and steering down.
  5. Nah not necessarily overkill ... if you have the $s go for what is good quality ... good gear is nice, real nice :) .. it usually fits well and has better finish than the cheap as chips stuff... not always but usually. You will end up with an assortment of gear after a while any ways, as one jacket may not suit all conditions and the summer v winter gloves debate will happen. Not to mention too much xmas food :oops:

The fact that you have previous experience with an inline two wheeled vehicle is to your advantage especially in terms of roadcraft. I would have thought being a road cyclist would expose you to much the same dangers (if not more) as a motorcyclist so your family is probably not being too logical. :D

Kudos to you for taking a mature approach to the matter. While I am, in general, an ATGATT advocate, I also know that it is that thing between your ears that counts the most as a safety device ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. would also depend on what riding you see yourself doing. If you are planning on doing a lot of 'sport style' riding then leathers are the way to go. If its more for commuting or touring the textile variety offer a number of options, including removable liners etc for summer riding etc. Good branded stuff would cost way less than leathers too. Gloves, helmets and boots would be common I guess to whatever you plan to ride. Since you are yet to get a bike you probably want to think that thru as well before buying the rest of the gear. Cheers.
  7. I would concentrate on gear that's comfortable and reasonably priced. You might find that your choice of gear changes as you get more riding experience and work out what suits you. The gear will help with protection if you come off, how you ride is what will make you safer.

Buy less expensive but good quality gear and spend the excess cash on training.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Thanks for the reply/info :) My Father is also a Cyclist, so he knows the risk; It's more my Mother hehe, I don't think many people realise how dangerous road cycling is (pedal powered) especially since the helmets weak; Protection is minimal, cagers just don't care and 85km/h on 1cm wide tyre is kinda sketchy :p

It will be more sports/pleasure riding - I work in I.T. and really wan't to cut loose some days, I think the bike would be fun and also some commuting around Sydney
  9. THe list seems fine.

You have the protection you need. You will soon find out if its right or not for you and buy more. Riding is a spend more money kind of thing, and we all love it
  10. before buying my bike i spent around $2000 on gear. alpinestars fit me best so i went with them. i also bought a spine protector at the same time. in my eyes you are doing exactly what every new rider should do. if you cant afford the good gear then maybe you shouldnt be riding.

if you can wait until the end of financial year sale then you will save alot of money. my jacket was $900rrp and i got it for $399
  11. 1000-1500 $AU would be considered reasonable? i.e. Shoes + Knicks + Helmet + Socks + Gloves can easily cost $500-1000 for road cycling (that's reasonable priced gear)

My plan for riding is going to be very similar to how i was taught to drive, I'm going to find a new housing division (roads only - no houses) and spend anywhere from 10-30 hours just learning how to use the Machine correctly with no pressure from road conditions and cagers.

Then, once i've forgotten how much I have spent on gear + bike, I'm going to spend some money on HART style courses and Saturdays in Sydney training as posted on these forums :][DOUBLEPOST=1356939796][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks aussieak :)

My thinking is also along the lines of what I do with my Computer Parts (i.e. Buying mid-range to good gear, taking good care of it and selling it if it's not exactly what I want). But as any hobby; Bigger, Better & Badder ($$$) :D

:( I've missed that, I actually was going to start riding a while ago (2 years) - But due to lack of funds while being an Undergrad i decided against it. Now i have the money I kinda want to jump into and make mistakes, otherwise I will spend copious amounts of time comparing and being indecisive. I'm willing to make mistakes now (i.e. Spend a bit too much) but i will have my eye out for 2013 EOFY sales. Thanks for the tip!
  12. I'd get a mesh jacket to learn with. You won't be going very fast if you crash and they are more than adequate to cope with low speed stuff (based on a few crashes by others at work, and general internetting). Having said that, you can only crash once in mesh whilst leather would let you crash many times. The problem with leather is the heat at low speeds on sunny days -- which seems to be your intention for riding.

I'd also get a tinted visor if you are just putting around on sunny days, not a big investment. Note that a tinted visor will make it harder for other road users to judge your intentions (like mirrored glasses on a pushy) but I think the benefits (good vision) outweigh the negatives.
  13. #13 NSSherlock, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Not sure if the Hornee jeans have knee protectors or provision for them, If not, you might like to consider under jean knee guards like RS Taichi ones. I use their soft ones in preference to the knee guards with my Motolegion Jeans and can basically have them on all day without discomfort although I can get them off under the jeans if I want to.

Comfort might be a compromise. Will you get enough air through that Jacket in Summer? I use a mesh jacket in Summer and a Cordura one when the need arises although I could just add the liner to the mesh jacket. Admittedly it's a bit warmer up here.
    It's great having a leather jacket but can be useless if it is just too hot to wear it or if you fatigue easily with it on in the heat.
  14. That's a lot of gear for a Vespa :bolt:
    More seriously it's good gear, but as others have said, try to save some money when the sales are on and invest in extra training. Are you familiar with the phrase ATGANFI?
  15. what this about only crashing once in mesh???? Sounds a bit odd to me. In the low speed offs that a learner is likely to do there shouldn't be a problem.

A learner is better off with a clear visor IMHO ... tinted is BS ... wear some sunnies if it's too bright.
  16. I'm using my own special jargon (which I know isn't clear). A "drop" is a low speed off that a learner could have but a "crash" is something a bit more exciting (say a 40 kph "put down" of the bike because you don't have the skills to just turn it around the corner).

Anyway, my tinted visor is getting a lot of love from me at the moment. It isn't much money to buy both.
  17. I think you'll end up buying more gear. Vented textile jacket, waterproof gloves, jacket, pants boots etc.

I honestly can't imagine having only one set of gear to wear. You'll need to adjust according to temperature and conditions.

Having best gear you can buy is great. But it's not going to help if you won't be able to feel comfortable in it.
    Even likely you will crash because of that.

So get the gear that fits well. And spare some money for the future things you'll feel you need.

For example, I have 3 pairs of gloves (waterproof, GP Pro and short ones for going to a shop), 2 jackets (mesh vented and waterproof for rainy/cold days). Dragging jeans + KNOX knee guards, textile pants etc, etc.

Also I personally had 2 crashes (1 on the road) with broken bones. I wish I had more impact protection.
    I didn't slide much. Any textile would withstand that.

Leathers mostly protect from sliding.
    Oon the road you are not going to slide far - there're trees, cars and all kinds of stuff that will "stop" you.
    More likely you'll hit something. Thus I'd recommend you to have better impact protection instead.

I'm not talking you out of leathers etc. By all means - it's the best material so far. But keep in mind what I've said above.[DOUBLEPOST=1356942577][/DOUBLEPOST]On the related note, I still keep looking at RS Taichi with TRAPS. Could have prevented my broken collarbone.
    Consider that too ;)
  18. ATGANFI - Hmm, I personally think that's a bit of a misnomer. In the world of Road Cycling normally that would be someone who rides a bike that out strips their ability (e.x. My bike cost $1500 while i rode in D-Grade, another guy in my grade had a bike worth $15,000 [yes a pushy], he was no good tbh).

No one ever says to other cyclists, your helmet is much better than your ability as we all slide the same@ 70km/h.

Where i will be riding the bike most of the time it's about 18-22 Degrees, down the coast. While getting to my training locations, I will be on 60-80km/h roads, I personally think the leather is ftw.[DOUBLEPOST=1356943758,1356943103][/DOUBLEPOST]@Dnagir - "I think you'll end up buying more gear"

100% I believe this, I think ill learn that the hardway though. I will buy the safest gear now, If it's too hot & shits me I will look at the alternates (sooner rather than later). Also this kinda saves me if for some reason I quickly exit cycling (injury/move country) etc.

This personally did it for me :playful:

[DOUBLEPOST=1356945795][/DOUBLEPOST]The other thing i was just pondering in my car is the real disconnect between what people can recommend vs. their personal experience.

A guy who rides around all day at 100km/h and never crashes would obviously recommend wearing undies is enough protection. While a guy who has had a couple of offs, would swear you need to gear up every ride.

I think i will stick with the ATGATT because i'm ugly enough - I don't need a smashed up face :p
  19. Use what you've chosen as a baseline and hunt around. A bit of luck and you'll knock $500 off the cost. WIth helmets, fit is more important than the brand. I don't like riding in jeans, kevlar or not. Prefer textiles or leather.
  20. #20 lucifer_mr2, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    I'll stick to an open face, fingerless gloves and a vest. Feel very safe in that gear. :p Well, not really, but we shouldn't advertise ATGATT. If you wear it, cool. If not, that's your own problem. And if it gets enforced, then the price will probably double.

I've come off a few times. Armour works. That CE stuff is good. Although mesh can leave you with friction burns, kevlar too. I like Ixon gear, it fit's me well and (if the right range is chosen) can be good in all weather. And I do mean all (between snow and the Hay plains in summer).