Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by bluebelt, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Hi everyone. My name is Glen and I'm fairly new to riding at the ripe old age of 41. I'm a weekend rider and ride for pleasure. I've had my L's for about 6 months and will be doing the MOST in a couple of weeks. I've been practising the skills required for this test so hopefully, I'll pass on my first attempt.

I ride a Suzuki GS500. It's a great bike for beginners but sometimes I wish it had a bit more acceleration from a stand still. There is always some silly driver behind me who sees the L and thinks "I don't want to be stuck behind a learner. I'll just overtake him" and ends up doing something dangerous and life threatening (to me!). If I could get away quicker from idiots like these, I'd feel a little bit safer.

I've been reading these forums for a while now and have learned quite a few good tips from the New Riders and Riding Tips forum. I recommend it to all new riders.
  2. Welcome Glen, pop around to Homebush learners session to get a taste of the fully set up P test course
  3. Oh no, not another GS500 at Homebush :(

Just kidding, welcome to the forum, Glen
  4. welcome, to riding and to Netrider

I suspect that the greatest attraction of ending restrictions is being able to determine YOUR position in the queue, not someone else trying to do it for you; nothing is quite as much fun as being 100 metres ahead within 150 metres :LOL:
  5. G'day Glen

Fun Ha!
  6. Welcome Glen

I know how you feel and I'm sad to say it doesn't really end with your Ps mate. Just need to learn how to spot these guys (Sideways baseball caps and driving early BMWs are a giveaway) and just steer clear of them.

Just take off using half throttle and they can play "Where's Wally?" with your bike in the distance.

Come along to the L sessions at Homebush if you want some last minute practice or even come along for a chat as we go for a good afternoon ride following the session anyway.

7. Hi Glen, welcome mate !
  8. welcome mate you will fit right in at homebush with the gs 500 club theres heaps there
  9. Nonono, not another GS! My poor beemer feels lonely :D

Welcome Glen. Feel free to come down to Homebush where we have all the bits of the MOST laid out.