Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider from Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by andmcg1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Hi all,

I'm a fairly new rider, I've been riding about 3 months and just got my license (still restricted for 3 years though).

I've mostly done the daily commute to work and a couple of cruises with friends on the weekends. A friend recommended the forum to find some weekend cruises and meet some new people.

I ride a 2012 Honda CBR250R. It's been a pretty good bike to learn on. It's not too forgiving with early gear changes, but otherwise has been great. It's fairly light and small, so the few occasions I've come close to dropping it (low speed), I've been able to save it. It's still fun to ride and fast enough to be exciting, so will probably hold on to it for a few more years before I pass it on to a new learner. :)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting up with some people for a beginner cruise and see some new and interesting places in Victoria!

• Like Like x 1
  2. G'day, Andrew.

Welcome to Netrider, pal.

You got the right attitude, and I don't want to sow the seed of doubt in your mind.

However, I'll be interested to know if you feel the bike is still exciting you in the next 12-18 months.

Some new riders feel the desire for more after the first 12 months.

Not the end of the world, though. Plenty of choice out there and a decent baby Ninja will always find a good home.
  3. Haha, cheers. And I think you're right - I'll probably end up getting myself a LAMS restricted 600cc in 6 months or so.
    But no rush - I'm still having heaps of fun and improving my riding on the 250. I'm certainly glad I didn't go for anything smaller though!
  4. Welcome mate, check out Saturday practice in Elwood, and subsequent rides. You'll find the threads easily enough....
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome mate.

Ahhh, the desires of upgrading. I said when I started on my L's in September ( P's in December ) that I was gonna stick with my current little Hyosung for as long as possible too, and I still intend to keep it until about the end of the year, but being a 6 foot four bloke weighing in over 120 kgs I think the poor little thing needs a rest.

Good luck with learning, and enjoy
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Welcome to NR..
  7. welcome aboard :)
  8. Howdy & Welcome to NR!
  9. Welcome :D
  10. You're not kidding anybody! You, like the rest of us, just want to upgrade!;)
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Welcome to NR!
  12. I'm hoping there was no unlicensed riding going on then. :sneaky: andmcg1andmcg1

But hey welcome to NR
  13. Welcome Andrew,
    Hope to see you out there.
  14. Welcome to NR a lot of great reading and best of all you get to hook up with your fellow Mexicans for fun rides in beautiful areas.
  15. Howdy and welcome to NR! Yup, the desire to upgrade. I"m not even a year in to riding and I'm on my second bike (still have bike 1) and already looking sideways at bigger bikes. Curse these new restrictions! :shifty:
  16. Haha no, I got my L's, bought a bike within a week, then got my license as soon as 3 months was up. I was keen to get it before the new rules/test came in. And wanted to start the 3 year restricted period as soon as possible.

Cheers all! I'm looking forward to going on some cruises and getting some advice on bikes, technique, etc etc.