Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider from Eltham!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by LachyT44, Jul 25, 2016.

?
  1. Cruiser

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Sports bike

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Hey guys
    New to riding yet already addicted. Currently have a hyosung gv250 however I have my eye on a cbr500! Any thoughts or opinions on both bikes would be great
    22 years old and currently a 3rd year apprentice electrician, and very exited to get to a few track days.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome to NR from Adelaide. Well given a choice. The Honda would win.

3. Howdy and welcome to NR @Lachy44. Lot's of CB500 riders on board ready and willing to give it a huge thumbs up. (y)

4. Welcome mate, its a thumbs up from me, the CBR is a great bike, pop into a honda dealer and take one for a test ride:)

5. welcome aboard :)

6. Welcome mate :cool:

7. Welcome mate. Get yourself to Sat Morning practice at Elwood and you'll learn some essential skills and pick up good riding and roadcraft tips. Also Sat epic rides with uncle greguncle greg go from there - great chance to get out on rides and meet a bunch of like-minded riders.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome to NR...

Try to come around to the Saturday practice sessions if/when you can...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Welcome to the nuthouse!

10. Welcome to NR mate, as to bikes don't limit yourself to just one choice, get your butt on as many different LAMS bikes as possible, go with the one that fits you the best and feels right.
    The Hyos are ok but are very dated in comparison to the many many other choices out there, look for ABS, as late a model as possible (new best).
    Honda are having a few manufacturing issues at the moment but the CBR500s are a reasonable choice, also check out the Kawasaki LAMS range, Yamaha are making some great LAMS models now, Suzuki are dragging the chain a bit but do have a couple of models, then there's the KTM 390s, Ducati baby monster, BMWs G650 and G310, Benelli BN300 and BN600 and the list goes on, try em then decide!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Wow love all the responses!
    Wasn't sure what to think when I joined the page but obviously the Melbourne riding community is thriving.
    And yeah looks like the cbr500 is the way to go but I'll have to go and check out as many bikes as I can!

Can you test ride a bike while still on learners?

Cheers!

12. Gday mate. I'm a new rider from next door Montmorency. Get in touch if you're ever heading down to the Elwood practice and we could ride together.

I've got a few more dates with an empty carpark before I'm ready to ride that far, but hopefully will do so in the next few weeks.

I test rode my bike at PS Ringwood in the carpark next door, so you certainly can on just a learners permit. They make you sign a waiver with a fat excess, so it's more about your confidence than their risk.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Oh yeah ripper I'll definitely get down, what bike did you decide on?
    I'm still deciding haha

And yeah sounds fair!

14. Honda CB400. As of a few days ago it even turns on too! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. If it's LAMS should be fine.

16. Aloha LachyT44LachyT44 !

Don't limit yourself - throw your leg over as many as you can. Try out as many as you can.
    youll be surprised what you end up with and how many times you will change your mind the ought the process.

And it IS a learning process - all of it. Deliciously so. :)

Lots of top crazies in Melbs and some great group rides. Highly recommended :)
    Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Welcome LachyT44LachyT44
    Good luck with your shopping & pick.

18. gday LachyT44LachyT44 and welcome to NR - get the Honda it will not disappoint, will probably be more reliable and have better resale for you too!