Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider, First Bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Scramble, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Hi there guys and girls. First post, but been lurking here for a few months now.

I passed my learners test last week and am keen to get a bike ASAP so I can get plenty of off street practice in before summer hits.

The problem is it's so damn hard to pick a bike!

I've gone in to Peter Stevens and sat on a cbr250r and found it to be quite comfortable, and for a new bike the price is right. I've also considered getting a er-6nl or a Gladius because the looks appeal to me also the higher engine capacity and the 2 cylinders would make for a nicer and potentially longer term ride , but the price is a little high and would only consider buying one after a test right, which might be out of the question seeing as how I don't have any real riding experience yet.

As for 2nd hand bikes I have no real mechanical experience nor do I have any rider friends who could come and help inspect them, so that's a lot of private sales out. From what I've read places like Sumoto and Ray Quincey are out too as they can be quite dodgy towards newbies.

So how can I go about getting the best possible bike for the best price? Seems like a real minefield out there :p

Any advice would be helpful and I'm looking forward to becoming a part of the Netrider community in the future!
  2. Offer up a six-pack of beer (or better yet a slab) and you may soon find yourself a whole host of new friends willing to inspect some secondhand bikes for you :).

If an ER-6 or Gladius is what interests you then I'd be looking for 2nd hand examples that are within your price range. Neither of those bikes is really old enough for there to be that many complete basket cases out there.
  3. Welcome scramble dont worry to much about the lack of riding experience the longer you wait the more chances it will be you miss out on that 1 particular ride you really like. Treat it Just like you would if you were buying gear try em all out for size make a short list then test em all good luck (y)
  4. Congrats on the L's!

I just went through the first bike selection process myself, so I know what you're going through. I ended up with a Yamaha V-Star 650 in the end, but it doesn't sound like a cruiser's your thing.

You haven't mentioned your budget or whether you want new or used, but another bike that maybe worth looking at is the Suzuki GS500 (or GS500F if you prefer the faired look). Seems to be a popular LAMS choice at the bigger capacity end of the scale, and is probably what I would've ended up with if I hadn't gone the cruiser route. A good mate of mine has had one for a year now and has been really happy with it.

Just to confuse you more, Honda CB400 might also be worth a look.

Anyway, enjoy!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hi
    Welcome and where are you located!

I wouldn't buy your lams bike brand new.
    There is no need and you will probably upgrade first chance you get
    You can save $$$$ in a reasonably new bike and as previously suggested there are some cool folk here who would probably be happy to inspect with you
    (at the cost of a few cold ones, subject tto how much they can carry on bike)
  6. Hi scramble, welcome to the nuthouse. Put your location up then like minded people will probably offer to help. If you have a money tree buy new, if your like most of us buy 2nd hand, half the price, ride the bum off it then trade up to what you really want.
    Bigger bikes like the Suzuki and Kawasaki you mentioned will be restricted to comply with the LAMS p/w ratio so wont go much harder than the smaller 250's which you might find easier at first.
    Sit on lots, ride lots if you can. Get out there man.
  7. Cheers for the responses guys. Money wise I've got 3 grand saved and the rest can be sorted with a bank loan or finance. Looking to spend around $6-7k. The easy option is to go and get a cbr250r new and I'm quite happy to do that, but I can't help but feel I'd be missing out on something special by doing that.

BTW I'm located in melbourne, inner suburbs.
  8. For 3 grand you'll get a good Across (GSX250F) or similar vintage with enough left over for gear. Leaves you without any financial burden and with a bike that's easy to learn on- spoken from experience- and not so new and shiny that you'll be too tentative in case you drop it. When you get out of the initial phase and are more confident you'll also have a much better idea what you want and how to choose and you'll still be able to get most of your money back on the Across

MHO of course.

9. Do you need to fit gear into that budget as well or are you sorted on that front?

My advice would be to look around for something used, even if you're staying in the 250 market, unless money is really no object.

If you buy new, sure you will get something that is guaranteed not to have been thrashed or dropped, but you'll have to run it in, and you're going to lose around 20 percent of its value the minute you take it home.

If you buy used from a good dealer, you can likely get more bang for your buck.

Just my 2 cents.
  10. :shock: Just spend the 3k on a decent used 250, and save your money for a better bike later.

Consider that if you buy a new bike for 7k you'll lose a lot in depreciation, not to mention the interest/fees on the finance. So when you go to trade in on something better all you'll really have is a bike worth around 3k at best - even though you would have spent around 5k just repaying the loan. If you buy a bike for 3k instead, and save the money you would have spent in interest, then you'll have something worth at least 2k with 5k in the bank (of course if you wait twice as long you'll have a bike still probably worth 2k, but have 10k in the bank).

Just something to think about.
  11. One bike that piqued my interest was this.
    Bikesales 2001 VTR250
    2001 VTR 250. One owner 25,000 on the clock and $4k ride away.
    Price and condition look okay from the photos but I want to go in and give it a look before hand.

Then I think to myself, I can get a brand new honda 250 for only 2k more.
    As I mentioned earlier, i'm green when it comes to checking out a prospective 2nd hand bike, that's why I was tending to favor a brand new bike.
    All info has been taken on board though guys, cheers :)
  12. I feel your pain, mate. Everything your saying is exactly what went through my head a few weeks ago. I think I got VERY lucky with the bike I found. Right place at the right time.

At the end of the day, weigh up all your options and buy what you feel happy with.
  13. If that's the bike I think it is, I checked it out when I was buying my first bike a month ago. It wasn't in that great a condition when I looked at it in person, and there was no maintenance history. (It wasn't terrible but for the price, you'd expect better.) I ended up buying a slightly newer VTR250 in better condition for less money.
  14. Thanks for the heads up. Did you get your bike from a dealer or private sale?
    If it was a dealer care to name them?
  15. Private sale. It's a bit more of a risk, I guess, but I honestly don't trust most dealerships that much either.
  16. welcome!
    I really dont recommend spending big on a learner bike... you're gonna drop it. hopefully and probably not badly, but its gonna get scratched you might as well save the bucks for when you upgrade.
    I had a new cbr600rr as my learner bike (queensland)... i got knocked off by a car and scratched it and the bill came to nearly $5k just for superficial stuff.... it's just silly.
    now my gf is learning and i got her a third hand VTR250... it's naked, it's already scratched so its not gonna bust its cherry, and its an absolute ball to ride... and being a MADE IN JAPAN honda it's not going to die any time soon. careful, as a lot of the cheap new bikes are made in thaiwan to not quite the most stringent standards. It's part of why a VTR goes for $9k and a new CBR goes for $5k even with the pretty fairings.

get something naked that you wont cry if you drop and make sure its got oggy knobs.
  17. Some dealers are better than others, and some are just crap. They're used vehicle sales people though, so the mistrust is completely understandable :)

Here's some more thoughts...

With a dealer, you should be able to get at least some kind of warranty, though whether they honour it or not is debatable. 3 months is pretty standard.

You can take (or threaten to take) complaints to consumer affairs if they do the wrong thing, which you just can't do with a private seller.

Private seller doesn't care about repeat business or after-sales extras (gear, servicing etc.) whereas a dealer may want you as a long term customer, so they'll try and look after you on your initial purchase.

Whatever you choose, conduct a check on the bike for any problems, eg. Money owing, theft, writeoffs, compliance errors, rego doesn't match vin etc.

Get both the rego and VIN from the bike, then go online and pay the $3 for the check which will give you the results instantly. Sorry I don't have the lino but you cab get to it through vicroads website.
  18. ????
    Says who?

Just cause your new doesn't mean your going to drop it
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Would that be this link? http://vre.vicroads.vic.gov.au/

If you're getting second hand remember to check the little things... like the chain tension bolt isn't rounded off ](*,)

Ps. you can have my cbr250rr for 3K if I find a nice rvf400 :p
  20. I don't buy into the whole "You're GOING to drop it" thing. While it CAN happen, doesn't mean it WILL. While yes, a new rider is more likely to drop it in the first few months of getting their bike, I would say it's just a likely for any rider to drop theirs with a new bike as well..