Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider experience

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Cheeks, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Got my L's a bout a ten days ago, bought a Kawasaki Z300, and have ridden every day since. Not ventured far, but a burst up Bell Street on a quiet Sunday morning had me grinning. I've tried to expose myself to traffic, so Sydney Rd, Lygon St., into the city where I study at RMIT at night. I've hit the tram tracks and other nasties and haven't had problems with stalling. The odd gear change the wrong way, and I'm trying to match the throttle to my downshifts (with some success and some godawful failures.) I haven't got the confidence to filter yet, as I can see myself stuck between unforging arseholes or in a fight with someone whose mirror I've brushed. I also find myself occasionally all at sea, and for a moment have to think through the mechanics of it all... throttle, clutch, brake, posture, balance, gear change... Then I'm right again in a flash. Mostly I feel comfortable and highly aware and can't wait to venture further and faster. The freeway calls me, but I resist. Can I really sit on an engine and go that fast? No cage? Far kin Jesus. I went for the Z300 as it had ABS and was close to the kind of naked look I'm attracted to. I absolutely love it. Mates who've ridden for years come back from a whirl and can't speak highly enough about it either. It's been a surreal week, but I don't yet feel at one with this newfound love. How long do people think it takes before you smooth out the rough edges and really feel at one with the bike? I'm not trying to get ahead of myself - I imagine I'll always be learning on a motorcycle. Just damn excited is all. Damn excited.

2. Good work mate. Give the Eastern a run out to Springvale rd one weekend, and try heading down to Warrandyte, kangaroo Ground etc, or even Yarra valley to Healesville if you feel confident. You'll come home feeling great and wanting more of the great roads out there....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nice work and congrats and a great bike.

I picked up my first bike a couple weeks back now and have been riding everyday (when it doesn't rain) as well. I managed to commute in to work through peak hour in Brisbane last week a few times. I'll be honest though, I very nearly didn't. Same as riding on the highway.....I very nearly didn't, but glad I did. My theory was if I do a bit of highway riding, riding at 60kmh will seem slow giving me more reaction time. It's true....at least IMO. The theory with riding in peak hour was, if I didn't start sometime I never would.

Honestly, after doing highway riding and peak hour riding this week, I feel confident enough to take my bike anywhere. There's no second thought now, it's just jump on and go. So my advice is......get out there, get on it and surprise yourself.

So to answer your question, I feel I've got the knack now, though still conscious of being inexperienced....it's been two weeks of riding everywhere all the time.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Welcome to the forum and a lifetime of addiction mate!

Trust me - we have all been where you are. Everybody (except maybe for Rossi) needs some time to adjust to riding. Just try to get some 'seat time' and the things you have to think about now will become automatic in future, freeing up your ability to take on new challenges like filtering etc.

Just remember to take it one ride at a time and to take some time afterwards to think about what you did and could do better in future.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Welcome to NR..
    • Like Like x 1
  6. welcome aboard :] congrats on the L's & the bike
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome to NR!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks everyone, the encouragement is fantastic. I will take on the freeway, there's no getting around them in Melbourne, so thanks for the suggested rides. I think a long burst on the Eastern is the go. Cheers all!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Definitely get up the Yarra Valley, it's a nice mix of faster sections for longer periods of time than you'll get in the stop/start of the city, and there's a lot less traffic (although some of the locals who've lived there and driven there all their lives but never been to Melbourne can have some strange driving habits, beware!)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Welcome Cheeks,
    Some people take to their bike really quickly, some take months.
    Don't rush it, just enjoy the ride.
    You definitely need to spend some time on roads without traffic lights every few hundred meters.
    Whether that's a freeway, or just some highway north of you, anything that leads to open roads and curves is the goal.
    Much more enjoyable than the city.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks Stever42 - agreed, I just had a coffee with a mate and organised a long ride after Easter. In the meantime I'll hit the Eastern and head out somewhere less congested. Great help from folks on this site. Y'all be good now.
  12. Being good can be difficult.... ;)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. CheeksCheeks it wasn't that long ago that I took on the freeway for the first time so I can relate. It was scary...and windy, and on a small bike. Sneak up on it slowly, outside of peak hour and before you know it, you'll look down at your speedo and say something like 'Aww crap, 100 already?' But it did take me a few weeks to feel ok at higher speeds, so just make sure you're comfortable.

I took my first night ride on a country road just tonight and I got that same feeling all over again. I took it a little slower than usual, stayed hyper vigilant for kangaroos, had to ring home to report in when I got to my destination :grumpy: but had a fine time .......:cat:
    • Like Like x 2
  14. You're right, no need to rush in... But I feel I've got to do a lot of making up for lost time. Patience is key. By the way, can you explain how I tag someone-? I can't find it anywhere. Thanks for responding,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. CheeksCheeks - tag by typing @ then the members name

16. Yup, familiar with that one too. But I’ve decided I want to ride for a long time not a good time. I was so frustrated with my first few weeks of not being able to get over 60kpm which stopped me getting out onto the 100 zone. I set myself a target to ride my local road until I felt comfortable at a higher speed every day until I reached 80 and was ok with it.

It does start to feel better with practice and the first trip out was slightly terrifying but hitting top gear for the first time had me grinning. I practiced outside of peak hours when traffic (especially trucks) was light. Trucks terrify me.

I’m also very aware that it will be a lifelong learning exercise and I’ll never consider myself truly experienced. And that’s fine too. I’m just happy to be riding! As chillibuttonchillibutton advised me in my early days when I complained that my high speed riding sucked...’Just relax’ and check your body for tension. If it feels wrong, back off a little until it feels right, shake the arms, sing a little ditty and stick with it until you’re comfortable.
  17. Thanks chillibuttonchillibutton.
  18. Good advice GoldenberriGoldenberri. I have every intention of hanging around for a long time. I'm going to do a short section of the Eastern out to Ivanhoe, where there are some nice windy roads for a novice to practice on.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Great insight into the mentality of a new rider. I feel much the same. Keen yet weary. Great thread. would be interested to hear how you feel 1 year on??
  20. One year on, after an accident that snapped my ACL, rehabbing the leg, I feel great. Got my P's which was surprisingly easy. I find I use the bike less for commuting than for weekend pleasure. Rode the Black Spur last Sunday, and have been out Yarra Valley way a lot. If feel comfortable on the freeway for the most, though merging in really heavy traffic at 100k's still gets my heart rate right up. I have retained my pushbike riders sense of placing myself where I can react to potential issues. I try to know where all vehicles around me are, and what the the traffic is doing several cars ahead. I don't ride too fast, only pushing it when the freeway is essentially deserted. On the twisties I let my mates get ahead and catch up at the end. I'm getting better, but have no desire to drop off the edge of a mountain! It is a thoroughly enjoyable pastime and I'm glad I took the leap. How about you netzairnetzair?
    • Like Like x 1