Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider bike advice

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by trustno1, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Hey all :)
    Im going for my ridersafe next month and im looking for a bike to buy.
    I have never ridden a motorbike before, my main use will be riding to work(15kms) and school(20kms) with maybe one or 2 road trips a year.
    My budget is $2000-2500, and as I dont earn much running costs should be as low as possible.
    Im putting serious at buying a new CB125E, I know this bike cops a lot of crap from the community but it sounds perfect for my needs, and as I dont weigh much(60kgs), from what ive read I should have no trouble on highways(Especially with my 100Kms learner restriction). Pros from my point of view are fuel efficiency, cost, insurance is dirt cheap and simplicity(I like to tinker), as for cons, any help here?
    I dont plan on keeping my first bike long, maybe 12-18 months tops, I will upgrade once I have more money available and have my R-Dates.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
  2. #2 GoldNine, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    Hi mate , welcome to NR ! Having ridden a CB125E (loan bike while mine was in shop for tyre fitting) , if you are serious about doing any touring I would look at something else.

Yes , you can tour on anything , but the bike is really only suited to urban running in my opinion . Personally I'd be looking elsewhere.

I'm guessing that you're in Adelaide from the Ridersafe reference.

Have you had a look on Gumtree or Bikesales ?
    I did a quick look on Bikesales putting in the parameters of SA , LAMS bike , 1500 to 2500 price range and came up with the following :

2006 Hyosung GT250R 11,000km - $2200

1999 Kawasaki ZZ-R250 12,262km - $1900

2010 Yamaha Scorpio 223 10,317km - $2200

2007 Honda CBF250 24,000km - $2500

A couple of these the sellers are moving interstate/overseas so possibility to haggle on price if they're wanting to sell - especially this time of year when bike sales are slower.

Obviously these are all 2nd hand , not new . Don't know if that is a consideration for you or not.

ps : just my 2 cents worth , happy bike hunting !!
  3. Thanks for the welcome :)
    May I ask why you say that?

Yes im from Adelaide :) Good guess.

Ive been looking on Gumtree and Bikesales quite regularly, but there isnt much point to doing so just yet because I wont be buying the bike for about another month, give or take. Thanks for the links though, Ill definitely take a look.

As for new vs used, Im on the fence, Obviously id like to buy new for the benefits but I would definitely look at being used before committing to anything.
  4. Well , as I mentioned , it's possible to tour on anything really - one of the long distance riding guy's on here has done some big distance rides on a 125 or 150 Yamaha just for the hell of it and the challenge . But , I noticed that the CB125E really struggled to hold even 80kph up hills just going down to the southern suburbs and back.
    Out on the highway dealing with trucks and impatient car driver's etc , in my opinion - and remember it is just my opinion - something a bit bigger would be beneficial for touring. Obviously , as you said, that would probably only be once or twice a year so I guess you need to balance your intended usage priorities and weigh up any decisions based on that.
  5. Don't get a cb125e mate . Buy the newest lowest klm bike u can. Like a gpx250, zzr250, ninja 250 etc
  6. Welcome to NR...

Suggestions as above are valid..

All the best.
  7. I had a Scorpio for a year.
    Quicker than walking, cheaper than the bus. Nothing broke on it. Less than 3L / 100 km.
    Will keep up with urban traffic. Will do freeway speed limit (I'm told tops out at 140 but that speed would be scary) most comfortable around 90.
    1 carb, 2 valves, air cooled single means DIY service is easy. Engine has been around forever as a trallie.
    No fairings to break or radiator to leak. Fairly crash resistant.
    Has a few extras like fuel gauge (a bit pessimistic), kickstart (in case of flat battery) and centrestand (useful for maintenance).
    Ergonomics typical of 1970s designs.
    To get you there and get you home day after day at minimal cost I would recommend.
  8. I am against buying new bikes mainly because you will be 'sucked in' to servicing with the dealer just to 'maintain warranty'. Servicing a bike on your own is a no brainer if you are handy with a socket and ratchet. Youtube is your friend. Even for cars it's easy enough, let alone bikes! There's decent oil from Penrite for cars which are also bike-compatible (JASO MA rating). Oil filters can be bought online at an okay price too. Imagine a servicing cost of just $40 (oil and filter) vs well over $200 at the dealer. Or buy used and support your local bike mechanic if you feel like it, I'm sure they will offer much better prices for servicing!

Try to get a mate who rides to screen through your used bike. The 2007 CBF 250 suggested above sounds like a decent option.

You can tour on whatever, but it's much better to have reserve power on tap. Having said that, I wouldn't slam the CB125E because it actually is quite decent value for money IMHO...

Btw I bought my first bike (used) just a few months back, but for me budget was a bit less of an issue. ;-). Not having to worry about warranty, or dropping a brand new bike is huge relief, and if things do go wrong, I've saved a fair bit and reckon that it's a small gamble worth taking
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Dealers can't force you to service with them.
  10. Of course, nobody can force anything. But the common refrain I hear is that people go back to the dealer to maintain the warranty. Whether that's necessary or not is debatable...

I've heard that one could technically insist on them honouring the warranty if they provide receipts for proper spare parts even if diy servicing is done. And if servicing is done by qualified mechanics, there's even less grounds for dealers to not honour the warranty, right?

Personally, I'd just avoid the grief and buy used, diy as much as I can. It's just a motorcycle, not a jet fighter.. Another side perk is that used stuff may come with useful accessories too. Got a GPS and Ventura rack/bag along with my bike. Not complaining there.

It boils down to whether one prefers to throw money to have things settled, or to save money by doing a little extra homework...
    • Like Like x 1
  11. One advantage of the CB125e is you can buy new now for a couple of grand, do all your license, move on and still get a good dollar back. If you find ridings not for you you can sell and still get a good dollar back. Advice here is always to go bigger and with good merit but there are plenty out there you would still leap at low k CB for learning.
  12. You don't have to go to the dealer to maintain warranty.

As for the bike, I saw one of these the other day in red, looked absolutely fantastic (and was in mint condition - I wonder if they can be had new??) There was this cute girl riding it, cute because she was so small she could hardly flat foot it!! :)

13. When I was looking for my first bike, which I still ride, every bike shop listed off three or four bikes but all of them mentioned the honda CB 250. I looked at something like the 125, but someone who knew the ride I would be taking every day encouraged me away from that, not so much because of the speed, but because it would be easily blown around on the highway. Something to consider if you're doing more than suburban riding.
    Hope you get something you can enjoy for a few years.
  14. I quite enjoy playing around with mechanics so servicing myself is definitely something ill be doing.

Thanks everyone for the tips and advice as well as recommendations :) As I said way back at the start im still a few weeks off actually buying anything so ill keep looking around for some good used deals and ill take a trip to the local Honda dealer to check out the CB125E, When I actually buy something ill be sure to post back and let you all know.
    Thanks again :)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. They're a bit older but I think the Honda Spada is still one of the best learner bikes out there.

250cc V-twin, aluminium frame (so light and easy to handle), cool bike!

You will get over the lack of power in the CBR125e very quickly. It's not just about peak power and top speed, but about comfort and feeling less vulnerable on the road. More power means more ability to get out of a bad situation. I remember feeling vulnerable on highways on an underpowered bike, it's just not fun.

The Honda Vtr250 is a more modern version of the Spada but I haven't ridden one. People who have rate it highly.

I agree with going with a second hand bike for your first. Dropping it is less upsetting and they will be worth the same when you sell it as what you bought it for.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. My only beef with the VTR 250 is that it's a bit dear for a basic first bike, and it does not come with ABS. But then I emptied the wallet and look what I got :wacky:

Having said that, I rode it for my license course and found it very good. It might not even scare the average rider on their first day of riding, but it's torquey, nice to handle, and very comfortable riding position. Power won't be generous at highway speeds but I think it's adequate, unless the rider is rather large. It was the only other bike I was seriously considering but I eventually ruled out non-ABS bikes. The Ninja 300 ABS was another of the bikes I was considering, but in the end I got the sensing that the CB400 would be the bike I am less averse to keeping after I am on a full license.
  17. Hey everyone,
    Just a quick update, I bought my bike on Monday, Its a Kawasaki ZZR250, Mechanically its pretty damn good, needs a little cosmetic work but it looks amazing and should last me :)

Thanks for all the tips and advice, I really appreciate it!
    • Like Like x 2
  18. ^^ looks pretty damn good mate , well done !
  19. Looks nice. Enjoy the ride.