Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider - Bayside Brisbane

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Eckythump, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Good morning all Net Riders,
    I successfully completed my Q-Ride assessment on Saturday and got my RE license.
    I am an older dude (42) who recently decided to get his bike license (go ahead and call it a mid-life crisis, if you must).
    I did my Q-Ride course at Cycle Right in Ransome (on Brisbane's Bayside). They were outstanding and I can't recommend them highly enough. They were extremely thorough and as a motorbike novice (I had never stepped over a bike before in my life) were patient, diligent and supportive throughout my learning experience. Shout out's must go to all the team at Cycle Right but in particular to Steve (my instructor) and Shaun (owner) who were always professional, courteous and up for a laugh.
    I have bought myself a brand new CB300F. I plan on keeping this for the next couple of years. I want to get entirely capable on a small(er) capacity, lighter bike before I decide on what my next step will be. I will be using this mainly for commuting (to Brisbane CBD) but also for the occasional weekend de-stress.
    Anyhoo, enough about me. Look forward to being a part of this community and having many awesome riding adventures.
    Ecky

2. Hi Ecky congrats on the jump to the bike world. I commute to the city as well a good destresser I find is a quick lunch time blast over mount Coot-tha
    Azza

3. welcome aboard :]

4. Welcome Ecky from another Brisso, daily commuter and occasional lunchtime Coot-tharite (working at Toowong helps!)

5. Welcome to Netrider and riding Ecky!

6. Thanks all for your welcome!
    Took the CB300F for my first solo ride on Monday afternoon. Left home with 3km on the odo (love brand new things!) and got home with 35kms under it's belt. Went from my place (Birkdale) around to Lota, Manly, Wynnum (along the Esplande) then back home. Took it nice and easy (Esplande is only 50km/h anyway) with a couple of 70/80 km/h sections. Was so much fun. Had a big grin on my face when I got back home.
    Did this ride around 5:00pm, so had peak hour traffic around me for some of the time, which was a good introduction to commuting traffic. I think I'll do few more "neighbourhood" rides before I attempt the city commute though.
    The Honda was great. Clutch is super light (awesome for slow rides, friction point is very manageable), brakes pulled me up fine and the throttle was perfect. Torque off the line is excellent. I know it's a thumper, and some people don't like the sound, but I was quite enamored with the (stock) exhaust note.
    As I'm running the engine in, I didn't get too high in the rev range, but I didn't treat it too gently either.
    If the weather clears up, I'll go for a ride through Thorneside, Birkdale then down to Wellington Point, this afternoon after work.
    Safe riding.
    Ecky

• Like Like x 1
  7. Welcome to NR and to the fantastic world of motorbikes...

One thing I didn't like in your post..'I am an older dude (42)'

Is 42 considered old these days? :D

8. The way my kids make me feel sometimes, definitely. :woot:

9. There are some great places to go around here. Check Google Maps for Ford Road/Avalon Road, which won't be far from you. It is an excellent practice section mostly marked at 60kmh, with some at 80. Plus Mount Cotton Road, and West Mount Cotton Road when you're feeling more confident. Well done and keep it upright. Roadcraft is everything once you've mastered your basic bike controls. And Hondas rool.

10. Thanks for the tip. Just had a look on the map and Avalon/Ford Rd is quite close to home. Will take a spin through there for sure.
    Have driven Mt Cotton Road many times in a car and it does seem to be a bike magnet. Maybe when I get more experience under my belt, I'll give it a try. Thanks again!