Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rider after enduro to suit short rider

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Dcog, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Hi guys, I'm a learner rider on the northern rivers. Chasing some ideas on bike selection, enduro/road registered. I'm 173cm tall and 95kg, was told to get a DRZ400, sat on my mates bike and one foot on the peg the other on tip toes. I know I can get a gel seat and lowering links just not sure if I should start out with a 250 or try and get used to the 400. Can I please have some opinions on 250s, at the moment I'm looking at CRF250L, TTR250, KLX250 and I think the wr250r is too expensive. Thanks

2. gday DcogDcog and welcome to NR - I can't advise you on the differences between those rides. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. best of luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. If your looking at tight single track the lighter the bike the better. I have seen experienced blokes tractor DRZs through over and up just about anything though. Just takes more physical effit,there a bit heavy. My cousin had a TTR 250 Yamaha and he suprised me with its all round ability.It even managed to tag alone on a road ride against a couple of much faster bikes , that was on The Old Rd so we were ham strung with its close coverage by the cops so no high speed stuff. So thats my experience, with those 2 all rounders. BTW the Suzuki has really good resale and more pretensal to cruise at higher speed with less engine stress,bigger capacity. Dont get a lowering link,that changes the rising rate of the rear suspension in a bad way. Terry Hays at Shock Treatment lowered my Husky,they do it all the time and its easy, does not compromise the suspension action but it does reduce ground clearance, thats a bad thing when your riding in ruts made by bikes that haven't been lowered.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm about the same size but about 10kg lighter and ride a DR650. I find I can stop at lights and stand fine even though getting on I have to stretch over a bit. The suspension is relatively soft so with your weight you'll push the suspension down and not have any problems. On the 400 it will be even better. The 650 is LAMS so you'd be fine learning on it and I do recommend getting a bit of extra oomph if you are going to be doing a reasonable amount of tar with your bike. The 650 is ~150kg so it's pretty light.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thanks I'm going to have a look at a dr650 tomorrow, I think I would grow out of a 250 too quick.

• Like Like x 1
  6. At your weight stay away from a 250. A 450 is a much better bike. U don't have to rev them as much making them easier to ride. The ktm and wr 450s are the best bush beasts money can buy but not really suited to doing heaps of Klms on the road imho. How much actually trail riding are u going to be doing ?

• Like Like x 1
  7. What about the KTM Freeride models, I think they're designed to be lower/lighter/narrower and easier to ride.
    They're not full on enduro bikes, more a cross between that and a trials bike, but they might be the go for a shorter rider.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Is it primarily going to be used on or off road?

• Like Like x 1
  9. The KLX250 can have a blue bill 351 big bore kit which makes it fun but it would be best to go for something like a WR450, however these don't last very long on roads...

• Like Like x 1
  10. DcogDcog I used to ride a DR 650 and (depending on whose doing the measuring) I'm between 170-172, didn't find it too much of a drama with that height. My brother is quite a bit shorter and used to ride a Tenere which is quite a bit taller, he used to just cock a cheek when he had to stop.

The DR went well, I used to ride it to work, then take it bush on the weekends (couldn't keep up with the 600 two strokes........funny that).

Great bike.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thanks for the reply I plan on doing mainly trail riding and some road, looked at dr650 this arvo and I reckon I'll go that way.

12. Probably 70% off-road 30% on

13. Yeh had a look at one this arvo, it's 2006 with 6000km and looks really clean, no dirt work for$4500. I think I'll go that way.

• Like Like x 2