Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider - advice

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Manz, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Anyone had a major crash? Looking for fellow riders who can give me some advice.

I'm looking to find out more about how riders got back on the bike, etc after having a major crash.

How'd you deal with it mentally?... Physically getting back on seems to be the easy part.
  2. After my "big one" I didn't walk for three months and the the mates turn up, pick me up and put me on the pillion, still remember it but the fear only lasted about 2 mins.

Best thing anyone could've done for me, still riding 34 years later....

Get back on.
  3. Did you ever consider giving it up?

My mate is in a bad way right now... even though everyone says he will make 100% recovery he seems to be struggling with the concept of riding again... he wants to ride... do you know if there is anyone or anything out there that he can contact to talk about the accident?
  4. i have a silly but usefull suggestion... Get your mate to drive you and your mate out east aways, kick your bike out of the trailer, kick you in the nuts, take your cash, and then leave you with a fuel voucher, a map, and a prepaid phone with $0.50 worth of credit(For an emergency txt). And no water or food. Eventually your going to get on that bike. Whether you like it or not.

The above, May or not be usefull to getting over your fear, and it would be less painfull for you to go back and do the low speed cruising stuff around the backstreets to build back your own self confidence. Life is not pre-ordained, you do not have a set number of Km's until you stack it. Get out and live life, if you can't get back on the bike, I'll give you a latte, and a lamington for it. :p
  5. I wrote of my Suzuki GS500 almost 2 months ago, wasn't a huge crash to be honest, but if I hadn't of reacted the way I did at the time I would have had a head on with a 4wd instead of 'just' a street sign. (speed limit sign of course!)

Physically, I wasn't too harmed. But I'm still having trouble getting my head around it all, not to mention regaining my confidence.

I am finding myself a little nervous and over cautious, and I have definitely lost some of that 'edge' I used to have. Trusting your machine definitely helps, I can't really offer much as I'm still trying to figure this out for myself, but I do feel reassurance helps.

Just do what I do and get on your bike as much as you can, the confidence will come back, and you will have that mindset once more.
  6. it's just crazy how on one side you have the "i could've died" vs the "what more could i've done" followed by the "how will i ride again"....

rehab is so long and there's way too much time to keep analyzing and re analyzing the whole thing :(
  7. I had a 50 km/h crash last monday.

I am fine physically, bike will rooted.

In breif, corner to fast went wide and wheels hit dirt and went down head and shoulder first.

I am a little worried that when I get my next bike that I will have trouble with the power (will be getting a bigger bike) and that I will be to rusty etc.
    Basically I will probably do a refresher course before I get my bike to get up my confidence and on someone elses bike :p
  8. When i had my big crash ( well, biggest crash so far ) i was on a YZF-600 "Thundercat" in 2003. It rocked me that much, it took me 2 years to get the nerve to sit back on another bike ( i got hit by a drunk driver hooning, whilst stopped at an intersection, was in a short coma and it affected me more mentally coz i had other issues at the time ). Had to start from scratch again, on a ZZR 250. That was 6mths of nightmare and backstreets before i bit the bullet and bought my current bike.

Physically was certainly the most easiest part of the process, though i had a broken collarbone, hairline fracture to my pelvis and a few broken fingers. I was still "freaking out" just putting a helmet back on. And i swear i can feel it in my bottom everytime i see a Torana pass me by

Slow and little steps worked for me. Hope this helps

:) :oops:
  9. I only asked myself two of those questions, in hindsight though, I think I did the best I could have done with my limited experience in 60km winds!

I never asked myself How will I ride again though, love it way too much to give it up :)

10. Rehab sucks the big one :) no use re-analyzing it, will it re-freak u out abit, or depress u? How could u know what to do when its all happening so fast? Remain positive and dnt give up, and get ur bum back on ur bike soon! Could u take a trip down Vic Park to all the bike shops for new gear as incentive to get back into the swing of things? :grin:
  11. Well he needs to consider how much his approach to riding contributed to it - is it such that he is highly likely to have a bad one again because of that? If so, maybe he should give up. If his riding style is fine, and if he loves it enough it'll be great to see him get back on and I'm sure he'll find a way. Sounds like it might help to talk to a counsellor (I take that from your reference to 'talking to somebody'), both now if he's suffering enough trauma, and later when its time to think seriously about riding again. The hospital should be able to help him out now with a counsellor; there's also services such as the free Lifeline telephone counselling service; or he could see a private counsellor face to face later on. As long as he gets one who (as they all shoudl be) is neutral about his choice and is there to help him simply work it out in his own terms, then I suggest he might find it quite helpful, even a single session would do the job if he gets a good one. Especially given the real dangers of riding (next time could be paralysis, for any one of us) I personally would not enthusuastically encourage / push anybody about a certain preference, except insofar as I was simply encouraging a decision which they'd firmly made and clearly communicated.
  12. 17 years ago, while riding an old KL250 along a dirt road I hit a cow. Well I guess it was a cow, my mates saw one off the side of the road where I came off.

All I can remember was riding along and then being flat on my back and being unable to breathe. I damaged one of the bones in my back but, after a night in hospital and 7 weeks of light duties I was back on a bike again. I was very steady though and even now I am among the last o the group to arrive at the destination.

Last year on the Australia day weekend I wrote off my 3 month old SV1000. Didn’t hurt myself apart from some bad bruising. After the insurance was sorted and I had a brand new SV1000, I headed back along the road I came off on. I had to prove to myself I could ride the road.

I was worried I would hurt my back, if I came off again, after the first crash. After the second crash and being able to stand up and walk away, I am now more less worried about hurting myself than before the second crash.
  13. I had 2 1/2 years before being able to walk and bend properly.
    Decided that prior to getting hit, I loved riding way too much to let it go.
    About three years after the hit I happened to spy a very clean 2nd hand GPZ900R at a dealers yard.
    The bike dealer was reluctant to let me test ride (and I don't blame him, I was still wearing a back brace and not walking too well).
    First ten minutes or so I was shocking, scared shitless, looked like I had never ridden before but the longer I rode the better it felt and confidence gradually returned. I took the bike back to the dealer after about an hour, feeling confident, grinning like a Cheshire cat, hurting something terrible, but put deposit on the bike with a short list of a few thing I wanted sorted, back following day, paid and took possession.
    For the next couple of years I was terrified of any vehicle coming up close behind me, so I learnt to just go faster. :) :)
    The "fear" of anyone hitting me from behind lasted for over fifteen years (still is there to a degree after 23 years).
  14. Had an accident only about 2 months ago; hit a bloody manhole cover sticking out of the road due to roadworks.

It wasn't a 'big' accident per se, but I was definitely shaken up. I've never broken a bone before, or had a serious accident, but this time changed that. I hopped away with a broken colarbone, and a lacerated knee which required stitching, and will probably never be the same again/will definitely leave a nice chick-attracting scar.

Throughout my recovery all I could think about was getting back on the bike. The closer that day came, I started having second thoughts. They didn't last long though; I'm passionate about riding, and hell, anything can happen to you any time of the day or night.

You need the right mindset for riding. Yes, shit can happen. And it can hurt. But if you're passionate about it, and do it for the love of the ride, don't let the odd accident stop you. You'll find it hasn't me, and the majority of people on this site.
  15. i think for some people bikes are in the blood, no matter how bigger crash they have had, whatever the end result of the crash they just can't give it up.....others one crash is enough to turn them off it for good, maybe for them the pleasure it's not worth the risk....i guess he needs to decide what side of the fence he wants to be on.

Best of luck and hopefully he makes a full recovery :)

16. OMG we need to print this up and have a way to make it legally binding, I want to give it to my mates and make them sign it and me sign it so if i ever say "nahh its too scary" they till bonk me over the head and leave me somewhere like that!!!!!

BTW my bike is a write off, just heard today.

CBR600RR COMMING MY WAY!!! (hopefully)
  17. 1 more time for the dummies since u posted this a million times on different threads..

18. Just crash more often.

Then you get used to it.