Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Rider 3 Questions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Big Bri, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Hello, I have a few things somebody might be able to help with:

* In 1st or 2nd I find I kinda am jerky. So say in a car park in 1st, then when I slightly touch the throttle I am really jerky, same even in 2nd ?

* Next when I come to a small roundabout I stop take off in 1st but obviously I cant go round quickly in 1st and I guess I dont change to 2nd in the roundabout.

* Last one, going around left bends is fine but right bends for some reason I go real close to the centre and find I go much much slower around the right bends. Sometimes I just pull up wait for cars to go then go because I think i will be much slower on the right bends.

I have a 250 hyosung, its not the bike its me.

Thanks for any advice.
  2. Just keep pracicing. It's all about throttle control. You will learn how your bike feels and how it responds and you'll gradually get smoother.

As far as roundabouts, only drop back to 1st if you actually come to a stop. change up to 2nd fairly quickly & early before you actually turn to maintain adequate control. 1st gear is too jerky to stay in & really only best for taking off. Very difficult to actually control a bike smoothly in first gear!

You'll also get used to roundabouts & direction. You'll learn the correct lines to aim for as you gain confidence so don't avoid it, just do it! Don't rush. Go at a pace that comfortable and you'll soon find roundabouts won't be an issue. So what if you're slow. You have an L or P plate so people kinda expect it.
  3. Another Big guy.

Thanks Big W, so then its that 1st gear is jerky. see I thought it was just me. Doing a Uturn I dont have a problem usually because I keep the clutch in and just try to be smooth.

Any ideas on the right hand bends ?
  4. ^ Wot he said.

Practise, practise, practise. It'll get better pretty quickly. My first noob "mini crash" was a right hander out of the end of my street. Headed straight for the gutter, grabbed a handful of brake, and laid her down on the left side (I was still standing).

I've been riding a year, and I STILL take those tight roundabouts pretty slow. Especially if I have to take off into them from a standstill. I change up to second as soon as I can - VTRs are pretty jerky in 1st too.

You'll get there.
  5. all 3 issues you listed are very common for new riders. Don't panic, just keep practising. Big W has already mentioned how to deal with most of that.
    You're issues with right hand turns is also very common. I had the same issue. In the end, I found that the issue comes from the fact that when you do a slow right hand turn, your bars are closer to the bike on the right hand side (note, if you turn faster, it'll be opposite). This "squeezes" your throttle hand, and makes it feel very strange. If you are doing slow right handers (i.e. tight round about) try leaning the other way (a little bit). So, the bike is turning right, you lean left (a little bit). This will open up the space for your hand again. NOTE (again) this is for SLOW manoeuvring. You may find it easier also to keep the revs up to a reasonable level, and use your clutch and rear brake to control your speed.
  6. These are just my thoughts, others feel free to widely discredit me!

I like to slow down and change into a low gear for corners regardless of if I might want to change up a gear during said corner; I just deal with it after and fang it once the corner starts to straighten up. :) This will all become a faster, not so fluffy process as it gets into my head to give it more lean in the corners and not wuss out. Reason for the low gear - usually 1st, sometimes second at a bigger corner/roundabout when I can see a gap well in advance - is to better manage if I may need to stop, or can verrrry slow ride for a moment while another vehicle passes (if I'm at a give way) and then proceed after them, or so that I'm already down in the low gear and don't get a fright from changing down late and letting the clutch out too quickly sending me to the other side of the road (this happened to me day one getting my bike, very first corner. Just managed to avoid the gutter/tree).

Others may disagree with what I do but I think it's kinda cool that on the bike I don't stop very often :) and am in the right gear to power on through that gap in the roundabout as soon as it is there for me.

Gears and jerkiness - coming back on the throttle is where you probably find it jerky. Throttle and clutch control. I'm a freak for the clutch in the car, and a bit on the bike too. At slow speed you can hold your revs constant and use your rear brake + clutch.

Don't you hate those turns running wide? I take a left turn out of the car park where I work and nearly kiss the centre line, every time. I needa get down to a shopping centre car park sometime for some practice. Practice! :)

Have fun fellow noob. ;)
  7. At low speeds as in carpark speeds, don't slow down by closing the throttle (Unless you're trying to actually stop) slow down by adding some rear brake and keeping the throttle where it was.

Same with u-turns - don't pull the clutch in. Ride the rear brake and keep some throttle on. User more or less brake to alter your speed, not the throttle. While the throttle is on and the bike is pulling it's much harder to drop it.
  8. I'm a total newbie myself but I find dragging the rear brake around roundabouts in 2nd gear is a big help.

Try to keep the throttle even and control the speed using the brake.

And finding a nice quite car pk etc to practice slow speed stuff helps build confidence in slow speed control too.

Good Luck
  9. What I found for me is that keeping the revs up helps with the clutch control. Also having a higher rev say 4 - 5k helps the feel of the clutch and ensures smoothness. You're also not having to deal with the bike stalling.

And you can go faster in first but very smooth control of the throttle is necessary or the bike will lurch due to the very high revs and fully engaged gear. You can always get into 2nd and just rev it higher with clutch input. Just remember smoothness is key to both clutch and throttle.

But as the guys above said, with practice and once you get used to the bike, you'll be taking those roundabouts in 2/3rd gear.

Also you might find that nerves are causing your wrist to tense up and when that happens smooth control and turning inputs are harder. Try to loosen up and flap your arms.

EDIT: I also had trouble with right hand bends ... I think it was right and not left.. either way it was because I wasn't looking up enough and wasn't looking at the exit. I believe having my throttle arm abit stiff then also contributed to the lack of 'push' input.
  10. 250 Aquila, Heathers,

From stopped, she said she takes off and puts it into 2nd to go around the roundabouts,
    It wobbles too much in first gear,
  11. Keep your forearms parallel to the ground and the palms of your hands behind the handle bars. This should stop you getting cramped on the right hand slow turns.
  12. Thanks for the replies. I think i have to practice only done 800 km so far. But i have to practice right. I really like the bike it has enough power and handles good.

But it was the jerky 1st & 2nd that was getting me down. Like just toucbing the throttle in
    1st & being thrown back and forwards. I will try using the rear brake see if that helps.
  13. And grip with your knees.
  14. Look up all Heathermacs threads and posts,

She has just got come off Lams, and learnt from scratch to ride her bike in 21 months.

250 2009 Hyosung Aquila, Cruiser, same as yours,

And a lot of her Learner ride comments and fears and instructions, Etc Etc. are written there,
  15. I'm a new rider too and I'm going through the same issues at the moment but it's getting better day by day. All I can say is ride every day and relax yourself on the corners. It's a lot easier when you relax. As for the jerkyness it just gets better every day same as when you learn to drive a car.
  16. If you are putting weight on the handle bars then the throttle control will be harder, the (lack of) power-to-weight in the higher gears hides the poor throttle control. This might not be the problem you are having but it is a problem I had...
  17. Dont even think of starting off under 3000 RPM,
    I didnt ride it much,
    But it may have even been about 3500 RPM to start off,

Any less and it will stall or be jerky.

Basically, you have to ring its neck to get it moving, Its very sluggish,

100 KPH is some thing like 10,000 RPM. In top gear,
  18. A higher gear will smooth jerkiness but if the underlying problem is that You are being jerky rather than smooth, then a higher gear is treating the symptom not the cause.

At some stage get your self into a large empty car park and practice going from no throttle to a reasonable amount and back Without jerking. It really is just practice and you will get better with time.

Until then try changing up to second earlier, although not so early that if you give it some throttle it won't pull away.

You haven't said where you are but if in Melbourne of Sydney try getting your selves to the weekly learner practice sessions.
  19. its probably mostly caused by you not being used to the pick up of chain slackness and also general throttle control.

Just takes getting used to, just like driving a manual car, in time you just become good at it.

I wouldnt even bother trying to specifically be smooth in carparks etc, just ride around as much as you can on the roads, maybe at night so its quiet.
  20. Thanks. Yes, I want to treat the cause and as yu all said practice.

Is this something that most new riders find, along with backing off on bends ?