Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Ride troubles

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Trij, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I am about to go for my Learner's Permit and am struggling to get the clutch throttle action right. Any tips?

2. Wax on, wax off. Nah just kidding! Think of it like a set of scales balancing some weights, as one side goes down the other cones up evenly. In other words as your releasing the clutch apply more throttle evenly. Just keep practicing and you will get it.

3. Practice...

Give plenty of power (don't over do it though :p) and let the clutch lever out gradually but smoothly.

Let the clutch lever out until the bike starts to edge forward, then slow your action until the bike is moving well and the clutch is engaged.

Once you get the feel of it you'll be fine.

1. Find an empty carpark. Preferably not on a saturday night.
    2. Foot on rear brake.
    3. Decent revs dialed up - try 3-4000rpm. Usually a bit more than you think.
    4. Let out clutch until you hear/feel the change in the engine. This should be the friction point.
    5. Then gradually release.
    6. repeat ad nauseum
    7. then try a slope - multistorey carparks have these. Or if not, can use a gutter.
    Something like that anyhow should get you started. Then you can learn the proper way from the learner course haha.

4. #5 Mahoney, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015

Great advice.

Also, a lot of drivers have no idea what a clutch actually is, and a few people I've spoken with, who were admittedly more technical minded types but late starters to driving, have benefitted from a good explanation on what a clutch is, and what is actually happening when you pull in your lever or push in your pedal.

Here is an excellent explanation, pay attention to the side-on diagram at the 0.30 mark. You need to have enough revs to generate enough power to move the weight of the bike and yourself, and you need to time your clutch movement to balance out the transfer of that power to the rear wheel without the engine stalling.
    If you can couple that knowledge with the practice advice from the comments above, you should be on your way!

[/url][/media]

5. #6 Choofalong, Mar 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    This was one of my biggest concerns, when first getting on my Bike: I hadn't driven or ridden anything with a Clutch before: I found this Vid on Youtube and watched a few times, before trying myself: it really is just about practising, changing up a few gears (there is a part 2 from him)

[URL="
    ]
    [/URL]

I didn't even TOUCH the throttle, to learn the friction point: I done exactly as he done, this was also the way I was taught at the pre-learners: DON'T touch the throttle, until you can get moving, using the clutch alone: We were doing it on Old, Hyosung 125 Cruiser... thingies at the pre-Learners, and my VERY old CM could do it, so I assume pretty much any bike would be able to do so.

Once you get how the bike will work without the Throttle, you can then work your way up the Aggressive Take-offs, by inputting more throttle before releasing the clutch. Finding a Quiet Back street that you know is acceptable for this: your not really wanting to go out huntiing for a Car park without being confident about getting your bike going! Save the carpark for when you want to get a bit more speed up, and wanting to weave a bit more, learning to steer: All you need is 100M of straight road, with good visability(so you can see if something is coming) for learning the Clutch: Just slowly start, then stop: your ONLY goal here, is to learn the clutch itself: FORGET the throttle: if the Bike is moving, or wanting to move, stop it by pulling the clutch back in, plant your feet, remember that your supposed to be BREATHING, and start to slowly let out the Clutch again. You'll naturally add more Throttle, as you get used to the movement.

6. Brilliant. Thanks guys. The instructor I had was pretty good but it definitely helps to have a few other ways of explaining how to get going. I'll keep you updated with how it goes. I don't think it'll be a problem any more (or at least hope). Thanks

7. You'd think so, right?
    You SHOULD be able to let the clutch out and start rolling however, with ZERO throttle.
    Not much good in a practical sense of course - I'm just saying...

Oh shit - Sorry Trij, for the purposes of your question Brmmm is quite right: about 3K RPM should work just fine...

8. Thats how we were taught in the Q-ride by Stay Upright. Basically all you need is a flat bit of tarmac without traffic. Don't even try putting your feet on the pegs. Just practise finding the friction point (you'll hear the engine start to 'chug' for want of a better word when you reach it, sounds like a tractor) and moving a few feet before pulling the clutch back in (disengage) and stoppping. Keep your right hand on the front brake and 'locking-off' the throttle. It'll prevent you doing anything silly with the throttle, just don't grab the brake :)

9. What I did last week was go for a 2 hour private session at Motorcycle Motion in Moorabbin. The instructor I got was a fellow by the name of Hamish. It costed me $130 for the 2 hours, but to me it was money well spent.

10. Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help. I am now permitted to ride my bike on the road... Next step, get a bike.

11. Good on you and congrats, enjoy the ride...

12. +1 to Motorcycle Motion and Hamishh. I got Hamish when I came back to riding and natural thought I knew more than I did. He made stop think and learn the basics agaon. I rekon I'm safer because of it.

13. Sorry, my spelling is not normally that bad. Bloody touch keypad on the phone ](*,)