Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New rear tyre today - and disaster

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cbr6_rr, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Today I bit the bullet and rocked down to Redwing to replace my unroadworthy rear pilot power.

All was good, especially the $250 price, fitted and balanced. So as usual i get the obligitory warning, 'take it easy for the first 100 K's or so'. I said thanks and trundled down the ramp into the rear laneway, turned right and got the to the end of the laneway, where I again had to turn right into the side street.

This was where it went pear shaped, I think I forgot I was on a new rear, and took the corner as I normally would. Got to about 15-20Km/h, when the rear broke traction, and the bike performed an extremely quick 180 degree spin underneath me - SHIT.

Luckily I got off quite lightly, tore the inside sleeve of my textile Alpine Star jacket, and got a small graze next to my elbow, and a small graze on my knee.

Bike damage was also minor (but a pain in the arse nonetheless). No broken or cracked fairings, but scratched the belly pan, and the sticker on the side fairing (which protected any scratching of the paint). The brake lever is bent, mirror and indicator only scratched, and some pretty big gouge marks in the clutch cover.

So really, the pride hurts more than anything else now, and I live and learn. Just remember folks - those new tyres are hell slippery

2. Good to hear you both got off lightly.

I wish there was a way of at least having some of that slippery crap removed before u get on the bike.
  3. At the track (Phillip Island), the new tyre fitter guy there will buff new tyres a bit with a grinder + light abrasive cloth, just to remove the bulk of the slippery crap.

Can head out onto the track and pretty much ride as you normally would on the road (that sort of speed) and after two laps (10kms) can up it to a pretty aggressive pace, and towards the end of the session (~40kms) can pretty much go at full race-track pace.

Given the propensity for bikes to slide out on new tyres, and their utter dependence on traction to remain in an upright position, it somewhat boggles my mind that regular tyre changing services don't do a similar sort of thing.

I mean, if the guy at PI can scrub off enough of the crap to allow you to ride at normal road going speeds (short of peg scraping antics on your favorite roundabout/twisty road) then why can't the regular tyre changers offer the same sort of service?
  4. yep I agree with cathar....there's got to be a better way
  5. Moreover, why can't the tyre manufacturer's do this? This must be a legal minefield for them, surely?
  6. Whats so hard about taking it easy for the first few km's. Couldn't even begin to guess how many new tyres I've had fitted over the last 24 years. How many times have I dropped my bike due to that. None. Zero. Not once. Its not as if they don't warn you or anything. Talk about catering to the lowest common denominator. If you can't remember a simple thing like that you should reconsider what you're doing riding a bike. Cause you know its gonna hurt if you don't :shock: :shock: :roll: :roll:
  7. Roarin, I too have never dropped my bike due to new tyres, but I'll tell you what I do fear.

I'm taking it easy, but someone forces me to take an evasive action, and when on scrubbed in tyres that would be perfectly safe, even in the wet, but with that slippery shit on the tyres, I've had the bike sliding around on off-camber roundabouts even when taking it very easy (no more than a 10 degree lean).

There's a difference between it merely being the rider's responsibility to take it easy, as opposed to the condition of the tyres making it dangerous to perform any necessary manoeuvers that can happen on the road due to other traffic.

i.e. it's not me that I'm worried about, it's the other traffic that may force me to use traction that I don't have, and that's where it becomes dangerous.
  8. I agree. It's surprising they feel it's okay to let people on the roads with tyres that are bordering on the dangerous until they're scrubbed in.
  9. I can sort of see your point cathar, but I'd say your scenario would be the exception rather than the rule. If I take my own experience anyway. But what I can tell you is the number of people I have either seen or heard of that have gone @rse up due to nothing more than their own stupidity. (not that I would call you stupid cbr6 -heavens no, not me)
  10. Would doing a few Donuts as soon as you get a new rear type fix the problem?
  11. When I got my rear tyre changed the people at Suzuki Raceway scrubbed the slippery crap as much as they could but they still told me to take it easy.

You may have been able to get away with it on a lower powered bike cbr6_rr but on a 600 there's so much power at the wheels.
  12. No, cause the front end doesn't do burn outs (if you were fitting front and rear) and the edges of the rear tyres won't be touched unless you can do donuts laying on your side. :grin: ...(would like to see that if anyone can do it... :grin: )

Besides, it's never a good thing to overheat a new tyre too quickly before it's been through a heat cycle and been properly "roaded".
  13. I see your point Roarin, but let me ask you this.

Which would you prefer if you had the choice. Choice a) Pay $10 more to have the tyre fitter remove the bulk of the slippery crap so much so that you could pretty much take it straight to your favorite set of twisties and start cutting loose, and by 20 corners in be able to go as hard as you dare on the public road?

Or choice b), being much as it is today. Ride out, $10 better off, and then spend in the next 100-200kms taking it easy never really knowing just when you'll be okay to take the tyre near the edge, and so erring on the side of caution for quite a lot longer than is probably necessary?

Don't know about you, but I'd take a) every time.
  14. When the hubby worked at the bike shop he would always get a bit of sand paper on to it...but with the warning to still take it easy till all the gunk is off.
  15. Personally, I prefer the "taking it easy for the next 40 odd kays routine" Gives me a chance to get the feel of the new tyres -especially if I have changed brands or designation. Nothing to do with saving a couple of bucks. Even if the tyre fitter told me they would be fine from the get go I would still take it pretty easy for the first 1/2 hour or so. But thats just me. Same even with cold tyres (although I don't cruise for that long then :LOL:)
  16. Guys at ringwood bm said that the best way of scrubbing in new tyres is to find a gravel road and slowly ride through it because the gravel would scrub it nicely.
    Having said that I think they said it tongue in cheek but there is some logic to that.
    Best to get on a freeway and do 100kmh up and back to get most of the gunk off the centre and "melt the gunk" towards the edges and to then slowly take it on corners.
    Personally never had a problem with slippery tyres but there must be a better way.
    I'm awaiting an american case where some yank may sue for this reason.
  17. Pretty much on the money there smee. A couple of good donuts (figure 8's for good measure :LOL: ) on a gravel road does the trick. But who wants to drop their nice shiny road bike doing exactly what you are trying to avoid? :LOL: :LOL:
  18. It would be nice if the tyre manufacturers performed some kind of scrubbing on them prior to being shipped out of the factory. Surely it couldn't be that hard for them to do, the only downside I can imagine is that they won't look as new and shiny when sitting in the rack waiting to be purchased.

That said though, I am not looking to blame anybody or anything else for what happened.

It was entirely my own fault, and for a split second I did forget that I was on new tyres, and tipped the bike into the corner as I normally would. As with any modern sportsbike these days my bike handles well. But unfortunately the rear tyre was not yet up to the task.

19. Gees i am Lucky to have a Big Brother because he warned me of the new back tyre and traction issues ,so i got out my heavy duty sand paper that i use to get rid of rust before i spray paint my horse floats and i gave that back tyre a darned good rubbing up the wrong way ,absolutly no problems at all, :biker:
  20. I picked up my 12 yesterday with a set of new tyres.
    Pilot power front & hpx rear (cant put a power on rear)
    Riding home down the neapen was not what i would call a fun.
    traffic stopping and starting is not good when you dont now if the bike is good too stop (and i was taking it very easy) proberly slower than the day i first picked it up.
    I would be quite happy to pay more for them to scrub the tyres before i hit the road