Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Purchase...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dejavu, May 5, 2011.

1. Hey guys,

I am in the process of selling a car that I own and rarely ever drive, in favour of something I have always wanted to do... own a bike. Something to keep me entertained on the weekends :)

I am not sure exactly the best bike to buy though.
    Being 6'3" and of a heavier build, I wouldn't want to buy something and look like I am too big for the thing. In the past, people have suggested the Suzuki GSX-250F Across.

Given theres new rules, and you can go above 250cc on your L's, would there a better alternative?

I am basically looking at spending about $5k at this stage.

2. Hmmm I believe this is in the wrong spot! Could a moderator move it to the right spot for me?
  3. hyosung gt250r and gt650rs are biggish but apparently have reliability issues, and most of the newer 650 learner bikes are out of your price range.

maybe a gs500f but i hate those bikes they look weird
  4. I will be able to pick up a Hyosung GT250R for dirt cheap from a mate, but I have definitely heard mixed reviews and I'd prefer to stay away from them

I wouldn't discount a 250cc though
  5. You might be able to find a pre-owned KLR or DR650 at that price point, if dual sport is your thing.

Good choice for taller / heavier riders, and if you're going to ride mostly weekends these bikes will go almost anywhere and are highly customisable to the type of riding you want to do.

If you prefer street only, sv650su or gsx650fu are both reasonable sized bikes ... larger than the Across, anyway. Just not sure how you'd go within that price range.