Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New product from Draggin'

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Zdster, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Hi all,

Small backstory: I recently had a low speed off at an advanced rider day - my first off (whilst wearing a pair of draggin's) - and my knee got a little ripped up from kevlar burn/friction from the jeans against my leg. While it was nothing to serious, I wondered if there was a way to stop this from happening again (particularly if I was in a more serious accident).

Since I am located in Melbourne, I thought my best bet might be to head over to Draggin's HQ in Port Melbourne and have a chat to the guys/girls. This is where I came upon a new discovery. After speaking to one of the owners/managers, I was informed that they are about to release (within the next few months) a new product to market that will solve the problem of kevlar burn/friction that destroys the skin.

I was shown a prototype pair of jeans (blue denim) that had the yellow kevlar backed with a perforated silk mesh type material. The material allows the skin to slide rather than 'catching' on the kevlar and burning the leg. The other awesome thing about these jeans is that they have also removed the seam above and below the knee where the kevlar is usually stitched into, so the jeans look like regular denim jeans. The perforated inner liner allows everything to breath (and from what I could tell would be alot better than the regular kind in the summer) and the weight of the jeans is similar if not the same to regular Draggin's.

I was informed that they would probably sell them for around $100 more than the standard jeans (so about $309).

I only got a quick look at them, but I think they will be a good addition to my wardrobe when they come out.

2. Interesting, but that is getting very expensive for "Jeans".

I didn't know you could go in to their office in Melb. Can you try the jeans on there and buy them?
  3. About time; they've known that kevlar burns can be as bad as road burns they are trying to prevent for a long time.

I'll keep my oldies and continue to wear my lycra pants underneath anyway.
  4. well for 300 i think i will stick with me leathers :shock: can't see the being a big seller
  5. I'll be spending $300 on a pair of jeans about the time my ex-wife metamorphoses into something even vaguely human :roll: unfortunately Satan doesn't let his demons regain a soul too often, so I don't like my chances.
  6. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

$300 is a bit rich eh...longjohns underneath and all is well in the world :)
  7. Yeah, they have a place in south melbourne that you can drop into and buy their range.... they also give discounts for cash - and think you may also get a discount for being netrider... (but dont quote me on that one)...

196 Wells St, South Melbourne....
  8. The trouble is it is not just the rubbing of the kevlar on your leg, but the heat generated from the friction of denim and kevlar on the road. So you will still get burns from the heat, but maybe the burnt skin wont be rubbed away.

I wonder if the "silk" is heat proof, or will melt onto your leg?

An improvement no doubt, but it should be there for the same price.
  9. Silk won't melt but Hornet's lycra pants will :shock: Sorry having seen hornet I just hope I never see him changing into his lycra :shock: :shock: :LOL:
  10. I'd be happy if they would just use a heavier grade of denim - I've got $50 jeans from just jeans that have a better quality denim (if only I could get kevlar in them :()
  11. <Hornet reaches for ImagePost link> :LOL:
  12. Try knee pads instead, to protect you from impact.

I have a pair of six six one's.
  13. noooo I beg you :LOL: :LOL:
  14. I thank the good Lord for the human brain's ability to 'block' images :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: @Bluesuede
  15. I have gone to Bohn's instead (same sort of gear).
  16. :LOL: I'm soooo understanding you mate!
  17. You too - eh bud?!? :LOL: