Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC New Police MInister and SMIDSY

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by twistngo, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Our new police minister seems to be justifying the smidsy defence?

‘‘This is a sad reflection on the community, where someone feels the need to get out of their car to belt someone, just for upsetting them or cutting them off,’’ Mr Wells said. ‘‘Where are the days of just general respect and a polite wave to say, sorry mate, didn’t mean to do it?’’

http://theage.drive.com.au/roads-an...adrage-disgrace-20130320-2gena.html?#comments

2. I don't think that's exactly what he means. Sounds to me more like he's talking about road rage than it being ok to just say sorry for mowing someone down.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If someone hit me SMIDSY is probably the best thing they could say to me (after u ok? Obviously). It establishes fault and certainly better than a lot of other things they could say. It's not what they say, it's that they hit me which is the problem.

Road rage is a serious problem and that's what he is talking about.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Congestion Rage.

5. Whilst one punch can kill, it usually doesn't (especially with a helmet on ;) ). From a harm minimization perspective we should be encouraging people to get out of their cars & trucks to sort out these issues.

6. Don't forget to vote in the poll . On the age link .looks to be a number of comments about filtering/splitting also

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yes, it's more about Road Rage and being tolerant and aware of other peoples mistakes. This could be extended to the SMIDSY and the riders response. In the extreme it could possibly be taken as a request for riders to examine the possible causes od the SMIDSY. If they can be anticipated then timely corrective action may be implemented to reduce the risk.

Or perhaps he simply meant "Don't lose your cool".