Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New P plate laws working!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by typhoon, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Drove home down the M5/Hume today in the new car. For the first time in memory, I was passing green/red P platers! :shock:
    They were all in the left lane doing 105 km/h, driving sensibly, that is, not whissing past me at 130/140 km/h, cutting back in violently one car length ahead of me, tailgating etc(no I don't drive slowly, I usually travel at 10% above posted limits).
    One vote for the new laws here.
    *edit for horrible typing*
    Regards, Andrew.

2. EDIT: how this message got posted twice??
  3. It will work for a while. Then everyone will become complacent. Just like double demerit points. Everyone was careful when they first came in. Then people became complacent, forgot about double demerits and returned to their ususal driving methods. The Police have complained about this.

I hope that I am wrong and no young people will become complacent.
  4. Spot on. It won't last unfortunately. I too agree with the new laws, but then I am not a P-plater. But then again, I never got booked when I was either!
  5. What is the gist of the new NSW laws?
    In vic, the two-stage license comes in today, then people will wonder why the p-plate road at fault/not at fault accidents rise as people are on p's for an extra year... I'm looking at you, "monash research".

How long before it becomes mandatory to put ten kilos of cotton wool around the car?
  6. Can't be far off - bad enough they're already fitting electronic stability control to small FWD vehicles (along with all the other "idiot proofing" items like ABS, traction control, reverse parking sensors, etc etc).
  7. At the risk of sounding like a bof, the way some P platers drive/ride, ten kilos isn't nearly enough.

RBT has proven effective, and its impact hasn't diminished.....
  8. Maybe when P-platers are no longer proportionally over-represented in crash statistics?
  9. You must be joking! I (and alot of other people) wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for idiot proofing like anti lock brakes. Hearing that system kicking in behind you freaks you out alot less than just hearing a roaring squeek, not to mention it saves your bacon :)

Idiot proofing is necessary because people are idiots.
  10. Doubtful, given that a huge majority of the population think ABS is just something that helps you stop in a shorter distance. Actually teaching people how to drive is a far, far more effective means of reducing crashes than just fitting electronic aids which might save them - but which they're more likely to just become dependent on.
  11. lol I'm sure plenty of P-platers did overtake you, just were not displaying plates at the time...
  12. Had to laugh this morning, in Stoopid Cheap buying some stuff, father and son asking the sales person where the P plate holders were, now that they've changed the law on displaying P plates!
    I just had to tell them that, and boy did they look miffed!

Regards, Andrew.
  13. hope you don't mean NSW or the joke is on you as before today P plates in NSW could be in the front and rear windows.
  14. What special rules must I follow?
    P1 drivers must:

Have P plates (red P on white background) displayed conspicuously at the front and rear exterior of the car when driving. The letter P on the plate must not be hidden. If towing a trailer, a P plate must be on the back of the trailer.

This means not in windows, and this is the same as the old regulation. Clearly visible does not mean inside a window, nor does exterior........

Regards, Andrew.