Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New old bike for X-mas

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Cheesehead, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Got myself a X-mas present.....

This how I got her from the shop:

With some carb's...

Just to prevent me getting bored..... :wink: :wink:
  2. Let me be the first.........well done.
  3. Nice man, cant wait to hear and see what is done with this....nice rear wheel :grin:

Good job
  4. cool looking project. looking forward to seeing it develop.
  5. Well, so far I only managed to get a tractor's seat pan from a clubmember....which I have to pick up at his place offcourse.
    Meantime busy with with wallpapering my girlfriends' house and whitening the ceiling. Things you do.....
    Next week is spend on a sailing trip, than more things to do with paint, than a week in the country (with her) to relax...and than, maybe, I've got some time to spend on the bikes... By than it will be March and almost springtime here and so the rally's start...again.... :wink:
  6. I've been wondering since you started this thread....What Make/Model bike is it?

Andy. :grin:
  7. Okay, back on the forum again. Meanwhile...what happend: I got married, moved from a suburb to downtown (bar at 150 steps from the frontdoor:beer: ) sold ´75 Honda CB400F, and the ´84 Kawasaki GT550, scrapped the ´87 Yamaha XJ900.
    Last year I made a few rides with the chopper. Discovert that ´repairing´ the oil leak in the oilpan was a total failure.
    I tried this but it worked not that well:

So, in order to spill not too much oil on the chain (automatic lubrication, works perfect) and the reartire, I improvised with an empty beercan:

Made a ´funnel´ to guide the oil:

Tie-rapped and used siliconkit to attached it on the bike:

And so I rode several km´s (± 1.000) untill I got fed up with it. This solution did prevent most of oil for getting on the reartire but as soon as I stopped for gas the warm oil was leaking out as if this whole contraption didn´t exist at all!
    This was how it looked, btw it used to be a ´79 Suzuki GS 750:

So, one who has patience gets stuff for almost free... a friend of mine noticed an advert for two Suzuki´s GSX750. After some negotiation who could pick them up for a bottle of single malt scotch and a case of beer. Done deal!
    I got the one bike which already was stripped.
    Last weeks of February I was unemployed and the workshop here has a slow time, so 1+1 = 2 and I stripped her!

Than I took her to the workshop, claimed a lift table and started working. With the ´new´ engine came the carbs, cable wiring, coils, speedometer, rpm meter and Marshall-exhaust.
    After taking out the old gas-suggling engine and putting in the ´state of the art´ GSX-engine this ermerged:[​IMG]

Does this ´81 GSX engine fit in a ´79 GS frame? Eeehhh yes and no. Two bolts did fit quite well, but one needed some ´adjustedment´ for which we have a 13-year old kid with a welding-addiction and so a solution:
  8. More stuff bolted on:
    Rear break pressure cilinder had be displaced because of some bolt which wasn´t there on the old engine:

Always handy to have some iron laying around:

Not a perfect match but I go for ´near perfect´. Bike on the Dynojet: 70bhp on the rearwheel, topspeed of 210 km/h:

Nice thing those Marshall´s but it takes up space, so I cut the forward controls in two:

After two weeks (this always takes longer than you expect) the project is finished!

After donating 400 eur (including new chain and gears, ultrasonic cleaning and synchronising of carb´s, Dynojet-run, usage of lift table, tools and lending a hand to the regular mechanic) I got her out on the street again.
    For a short ride back to the garage. It is still winter here and coming weekend will be quite cold with wet snow.
    Plans are to take her for a ´empty the gastankrun´ when is above 12° C so I know what the gas-usage is.
    Black paint for engine and exhaust will be applied later, as well as the bags.
    This bike is for rally-use only!
  9. Thats a lot of work my European friend!! You must like tinkering with bikes. We would never get away with these sort of modifications here in Aust. We would have to get Engineers certificate to do this.....then the red tape to get it through a roadworthy would make it too problematic.
    I have a cousin in law in Finland who rides cruisers. They have a clubhouse where they tinker with all sorts of bikes. They have a fully stocked workshop out the back with lathes, milling machines, welders, ect, ect. Then comes winter and temperatures plumet down to 30 below.....and the bikes get put away for 8 months :) I`ll dig out the photos of the bikes they modify and post them up here later.

10. Hi Randall, nice bikes they are building there. Although the panhead is doing something nasty there....
    Regarding the 'red tape' this surprises me. In this country a lot is allowed as long as it is made 'safe and roadworthy'. For instance, I am allowed to place a 16-valve engine in a bike which used to have an 8-valve engine. Because it has some 5 bhp more, it should be offered for examination by the State department for traffic. Should. Because the bike is 34 years old no cop will ever notice that engine and frame are not a perfect match.
    They just don't know. Even police on motorbikes just determine that it's Japanese but make and model?
    Same here with old Harley's. Those shovel's and panhead's broke down a lot so some folk replaced the engine with a BMW-engine. Also two cilinders and 750 cc, just as it says on the registration. That is the trick here: on the old registrations is no mention of the serial number of the engine, only of the frame.
    Because this is Europe, every country has different rules regarding 'build it yourself' and adjustments. In Germany everything has to be proved and numbered ect. In Swiss open pipes are absolute forbidden. In England almost anything goes. In Sweden you must have approved lights and brakes but extreme long front-ends are no problem. Most roads there are straight. Here you are allowed to build your own bike, just download the necessary information from the department of traffic, make a plan and get to work! Just don't call them too soon for approval and registration, they have some selfbuild-enthousiasts in their ranks who will call to make an appointment before you know it.
    When you know what you are doing, approval and registration is no problem. If they find a problem, they will report it and you have all the time you need for adjustments. This costs some money, but not that much.
    I just stick to rebuilding my bike. As I was told today that my temporarly job could turn into a steady one, time will be scarse. And I like riding the bike even better than building.
    Winters in Finland are notorious. But you can buy tyres with spikes for your offraoder and still ride around. Some have skies on the sides of their bikes to get around. Offcourse, these are not the newest and prettiest bikes. For a few years I attended a winterrally in Norway in February, half of the bikes were equipped with spikes and/or side-skies. The sidecars had wintertyres.
    Anyway, this week was nice with +15° in the afternoon, next week winter returns with wet snow, 0° at day and -5° at night.
    Those Klan heated gloves make their money worth on my rides to and from work.
  11. I have a better understanding of the system in the Netherlands now :) I believe my cousin in Finland doesn`t worry too much about registration with the bikes they rebuild/modify....they just ride around the local area without worrying about cops :) Its nor so much about the riding with them, its more about the actual build process (and drinking lots of beer) that they enjoy. They have a fully stocked bar and pinball machines. (refer to photos :) ) P6270906.JPG P6270909.JPG P6270914.JPG
  12. man....i love this guy....we need more of him and his people.
  13. Hahahahaha....yep, I thought the same :)
  14. Heres some more photos of the clubhouse in Rovaniemi in Finland just for fun. P6270913.JPG P6270915.JPG P6270917.JPG P6270919.JPG
  15. As you can see, they have very good taste in Bikes....theres some awesome stuff in there!!!

16. i'd sell your bike...and move there....now.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ha ha ha ha! There are some advantages for living in Finland... the bikes offcourse and they have gorgeous women. Long straight roads, lots of dirtroads (that's way rallycar drivers from Finland are so good), lots of forest, deer crossings just when you are speeding, beer at reasonable prices (Norway +200% Sweden +150%, the Euro as currency, long winters and warm summers with almost no time to sleep because the sun sets at 22.30 and rises at 2.30.
    Helsinki is a nice town, very relaxed atmosphere. And snowscootering in the winter.
    So you move there and have: 1 car for the summer, 1 car with for the winter (with connection for electric heating cause it won't start otherwise) 1 bike for the meetings, 1 dirtbike for fun, 1 snowscooter, at least one dog and maybe a wife and some kids. Before that you have to learn Finnish. And that could be a challenge.
    Finland is fun!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Been there a few times...Helsinki is awesome!! Also stayed in Turku in the south west and also up the top in Rovaneimi. My wife is Finnish but moved out to Australia when she was 12. Only been to Finland in the summer when the sun doesn`t go down. (That is hard to get used to :) ) I do like the Saunas....I like the fact that everyone over there goes in naked :) We stayed with a few younger folk and the girls were a total treat for me :) The beer is good. Reindeer was tasty. The language is so hard to learn so I give up!! Most Europeans speak English very well anyway. The bikes are a bonus for me over there. I love exploring their clubhouse, there are interesting things in every corner. They even have beds there if they drink too much and cant go home late at night!!

19. eh i learnt how to tie my shoes....how hard could finnish be?!:p