Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New newbie in Sydney...

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Clowndog, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Howdy all,

Not sure I qualify to post a hello thread yet, considering I still lack both a motorbike and a license :) The sum of my riding experience so far
    has been various 80cc 125cc and 250cc off-road bikes that copped a thrashing in my youth around various paddocks, national parks, beaches and the odd strip of asphalt as I grew up on and island along the mid north coast.

Now based in Sydney at age 30, I made a booking for my learners next week, and hope to follow up soon after for my unrestricted.

After 12 to 18 months I plan to navigate my way around Australia but hope to make a few trips up and down the coast and possibly inland before then.

The motorbike industry seems to be conspiring to confuse the hell out of prospective buyers. After trying to decipher the difference between
    Dual Sport, Dual Purpose, Adventure Tourers & Enduro's I decided the more adjectives the better and settled on a Sport Enduro Tourer :)

I considered Kawasaki's KLE500 & KLR650 for a while. One is a thumper and the other has only a 15L tank, they also seem to be a little limited
    in terms of accessories and lack a few odd's & end's that could find handy on extended road trips.

I tossed around the idea of buying a second hand BMW F650 but once again it's a thumper and even 2000 models are fairly expensive for me.

After an on again off again relationship with a 650 V-Strom down at my local dealer I finally came to a decision and started the ball rolling on a new V-Strom 650. I found the overall size of the bike fairly intimidating, long, tall and wide, but I think the fairing has to take some of the blame for this. All in all I think it's a fairly ambitious move for a newbie with very limited experience, but, I can flat foot it, I weigh around 85kg and im keenly aware of my in-experience with large bikes and road riding in general, particularly in a city environment.

Anyway, im sure I'll have plenty of questions in the coming months and this seemed like the thing to do.

Cheers, Dan

2. Welcome Dan, I'm tossing up the idea of getting a Vstrom, have had my eye on them for a while.

There's a few people here have 'em and can't speak highly enough of them.

Did you get the free luggage with it?

3. Hi mate and welcome .

The strom is a good all round bike for what your planing and they are throwing in $1,500 worth of luggage too, bargain.

All the bikes feel big at first ,but after a little while ,you don't even notice it and it should be easy to handle for a newbie as long as you can flat foot it ,for the first little nervous rides.

4. Welcome, Dan!

The V-Strom is loved by all its owners, good choice. It's one of the bikes you can ride all day and when everyone with you is collapsing from exhaustion and glad to be off their bikes, you'll be saying, "Aw, c'mon, just a few hundred kilometres more....."

5. Welcome Clowndog... :grin:

Would that island you speak of be Norfolk or Lord Howe?

Good luck with the licence and the bike hunt!

6. Thanks for the welcome guys.

pete.
    Yea the luggage deal helped my decision along. I should be able to pickup the luggage 4 to 6 weeks after I receive the bike.

Stealthassasin
    No it wasnt Norfolk or Lord Howe, it was a place called Mitchell's island.
    Saying I grew up on an island makes it sound a bit more grandiose than it actually was :p . Google map it and you will see what I mean :)

7. Welcome aboard.. :grin:

8. Welcome and good luck with your license! =D

Keep us posted

9. small update,

happy to say I now hold an unrestricted license!

I passed my L's last week and successfully negotiated both the pre provisional course and MOST test today. I even managed to make it to the RTA 10 minutes before they closed. Been a big day and im stuffed :)

Looking forward to picking up the bike in the next week or two, hopefully not off the ground tho :eek:

Almost every question or concern I have had so far has already been delt with somewhere on these forums in the past. It's been a great source of info and im sure it'll continue to be in the upcoming months.

10. Clowndog,
    Congrats on the full License in two weeks thing. I waited 3 months on L's even though I did not have to. If you have been driving for years and had previous experience on dirt bikes, you should be fine on the road. Just take it easy to start. Watch out for the stationary/car park drop, it would be a pity to scratch a new bike.
    K

11. Welcome clown.

WTF-37.

12. Welcome there to the clown .. enjoy your time in the N/Rider Twilight zone... Not another Dan.... how many Dans are there on these forums :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Enjoy your m/cycle courses :grin:

13. MG that thing is horrid!

good to see you're on ya way Dan. welcome, blah blah, etc.

im not on a bike and dont have a license so you wont have any trouble fitting in if i can im sure.

cheers :cool:

14. Picked up the bike 30 minutes ago. 2007 DL650.

Now im going out to ride.

g'damn it's hot today tho :LOL: