Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New motorcycle parking bays in Newcastle.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by rourkster, Aug 12, 2006.

1. I noticed the other day that Newcastle Council has marked 4 "Motorcycle Only" parking bays in Hunter St nr the corner of Bolton St and opposite the old Post Office. They are marked at a 45 degree angle to the kerb and were wide enough for my saddle bag equipped Vulcan to fit comfortably between a BMW F650GS and an R6. From memory, I don't believe they had a time limit on them and you didn't need to pay anything.

I got talking with the bloke who runs the newsagent just up the road (who rides a SV650) and he told me the council have put them in on a trial basis and are monitoring them for usage. Depending on how often they are used, the council may consider installing more in other areas.

I know it's not much, but it's a start, and I'm calling on all Newy riders to try and patronise these spots whenever you're in town.

2. It is good that councils are starting to appreciate the need to provide motorbike parking.

3. I may be cynical but I'll bet if they do prove successful they'll be charging & the total cost of all the bikes will reap them more than cars for the same space! I have seen some specified bike parks in the CBD but from memory they couldn't fit a car in them anyway! Hope we never get specified bike parking to take off if it means we lose the right to park on the footpath for free!

4. You bloody ripper. I reckon we're one step closer to getting a bike only spot marked for us along warf road for me Sundays in the sun.
    All sounds a bit Aussie of me dont it?

Nice lookin out Si