Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New monitor. New video card??

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Aug 1, 2009.

1. I have my eye on a Benq E2200HD lcd monitor, to replace my 5-year-old (but perfectly capable) Samsung 191T.

The resolution is 1920x1080, so with the addition of a TV tuner card, I'll be able to watch ONE-HD in native mode.

BUT, I have an ATI Radeon X550XT video card, and when I "check all modes" it says that it runs at a maximum resolution of 1280x1024.

I appreciate that the tuner card will be outputting in true HD for television viewing, but it would be nice if I could also fit more on screen for the PC side of things, too, DTP, Excel and graphic editing, etc.....

Is this a constraint of the monitor to which it is out-putting, or if I buy the new monitor will I also have to buy a new video card?

2. Is that the "native" resolution of the monitor ? If yes then you'll need to update the video card as LCD's look crap at anything other than native.

3. for a low end budget card hornet go for a HD2600 Pro or XT, a very capable card, should be a good price sub $50 new. I run two in my media center atm crossfired, and they game well, but more importantly run the HDtv tuner exceptionally well. if you want to stretch out to the $100 market there should be more options, but if you want a long time toill uselessness than you will need to spend $250+

4. get a laptop :) :)

i had the same monitor 191t, bloody paid 1400 back in the day, look what u can get for 1400 these days

5. I'm not sure Paul. Some dodgy online shops reckon that this card can cope with resolutions up to 2048 x 1536, but i'd be taking these claims with a pinch of salt.

Where abouts are you checking all modes? If you are doing it where I think you are you're getting all viable modes with your screen/video card combination, as seen by windows. As 1280x1024 is the max of the 19" panel, the resolutions you get will stop there.

Fortunately, if you really want this screen, buy it knowing that you may need to spend ~$70 on another graphics card, and if you don't, its like you just got $70 for free :)

6. Scratch that mate, you should be fine. If my memory from when I ran ATI is correct, while the naming conventions never make sense, cards of the same number designation share the same GPU.

http://ati.amd.com/products/radeonx550/specs.html

Scroll down a bit, and it lists all available resolutions.

edit

Just noticed this on that page:

- Integrated TV Output support up to 1024x768 resolution

You might not be able to do everything you want to...

7. Indeed, I suspected that the highest mode it shows I can USE, is the highest mode it can output to the Samsung 191T. I may get the monitor and a TV tuner card, and see what modes the X550 can run up to, and replace it if I need to.....

goz, I can beat your $1,400; in 2000 or so I sold a customer and new PC. $2,300 for the PC. She WANTED (but did not NEED) an LCD screen, so I sold her a ViewSonic 15" LCD. $2,500!!!

woo-hoo, thanks for that jirf, there it is, 1920x1080 at 16:9 ratio!!!!!

I'm happy to buy a separate tuner card.....

8. lool your slack

9. You're welcome :)

10. I'm pretty sure that Windows shows the maximum resolution the monitor will support, which is what you have there for a 19" 4:3 monitor.

I say get the new one and see how the card goes. As long as you're not concerned with 3D performance (gaming and Windows Vista nonsense) there's only a few megabytes of video RAM needed for 1920 x 1200 (I've got a 24").

It's worth noting though, that newer and/or higher spec cards still generally give a better quality 2D output as well as hardware video acceleration that you might find handy since HDTV/DVD/Blu-Ray and the like are compressed if not encrypted data.

Even so, there are very good cards for not much cost (again, so long as you're not concerned with cutting edge 3D performance). We're talking well under $200 for some potentially quite noticable benefit, like the the card taking workload off the main CPU. The cards that get recommended for a home theatre PC sound like what you're after.

You can start at this monthly graphics card summary but not worry about the gaming performance, which brings you to the lower price ranges. Though for the sake of an extra $20-30 on a new card you can sometimes get a lot more -

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/best-graphics-card,review-31635.html

11. Bit late maybe but:

If your using Windows XP, you can see all the video modes the graphics card supports by going to the Advanced Display Settings -> Monitor tab and UNticking the "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" box. Then go to the adapter tab and press the "List all modes..." button.

Pretty sure Vista would have something similar. Don't know about that newfangled Windows 7.

12. Paul I did some digging around for you, and the x550 chipset, across 4 or 5 different manufacturers of the actual card, are all reporting:

Maximum Resolution: 2048x1536@85Hz

This is of course entirely dependent on the monitor you have it plugged into, as you suspected. I would say go ahead and get the tuner card and monitor, it should all work just fine for you.

I have a cheaper version of an earlier model, and run at a resolution of 2880x1800. Best of luck with it.

13. nice people, all of you, thank you very much :)

14. your welcome :grin: :grin: :grin: :twisted:

15. You know, if you're that way inclined, you should be able to keep your 19in and sit it next to your new panel. Its quite handy.

Oh, would you look at that. One that I've prepared earlier, conveniently sitting on my desk :p

100_0256.

16. I've had a 1920*1200 monitor for about 3 years and i really dislike using monitors that are smaller. I'm extremely glad i skipped past 22" monitors. My dell 2407 is probably the best thing i have bought technology wise in the last 5 years.

1920*1080 would shit me to tears. How would look so narrow compared to what i'm used to.

If i had more money i would definately invest in a dell 30" at 2560*XXXX.

17. You really ARE a geek, aren't you, Josh :LOL:???? I LOVE the little robot clock.

I don't do enough, and enough SERIOUS stuff, with this computer, to justify a big, expensive monitor, or probably, even two monitors side by side (but it does look cool)!

18. hehehe hornet i can run 8 of the one i use for my media center.

19. Well, yes. BUT he's awesome! Believe it or not, it was a present for my birthday last year.

But I think you're looking at this the wrong way. It's not a matter of weather you need it, its a matter of if you can. For instance, In summer the little one has the cricket on it while I use the other one for whatever I'm doing.

Get it and then find reasons for it afterwards, not the other way around.

20. +1 :applause:

you could have the second monitor dedicated to the weather radar, and your excuse could be "Just making sure I'm not going to get wet" or even better you could watch the TV on the widescreen one, while you post on NR on the other.