Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by alewench, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Well Hello!
    I have recently got my learners permit and am keen to get going. I plan to ride as a way of seeing our beautiful countryside, and spending time in nature. I am still researching which bike to purchase - it's been narrowed down because I am only 152cm tall! Am going to check out the Yamaha star 250cc next week. Saw the Suzuki Tu250X today. Love the look but it's lightly too tall for me :( have fun and be safe everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Greetings. Happy riding. take care!
  3. Welcome, where are you from? In Sydney there are learner sessions at Homebush each Saturday.
  4. Welcome to NR..
  5. Welcome Alewench,
    Interesting name choice. A career indication or a past life ?
  6. Alewench... I like it :D

Welcome to NR (y)
  7. Welcome to NR!
  8. vstar 650 is lams approved but heavier than the 250, welcome n good luck with the choice
  9. Welcome.

With a name like that, I love you already! :)

Do you really want a cruiser?

I know they are the most common option for vertically challenged.... sorry... petite ladies, but there are other small motorbikes of a more sporty nature.... Aprilia and/or Cagiva 125's for example.
  10. Welcome alewenchalewench to the freedom of biking and the encyclopedia of all things bike related (Netrider).
    Cruisers are easier to ride, for beginners, being low to the ground and longer in the wheelbase. You can put your feet down and hold the bike upright easily - handy at the lights etc. Just remember a cruiser's long wheelbase, which makes it so stable and easy to corner, requires more room to turn which can be a pain in tighter city riding. Even a 250 class cruiser will weigh in at 160 kgs so you need to be able to "flat foot" when stopped and holding the bike upright.
    Shame you weren't in Tassie as my immaculate Kawasaki Eliminator VN250 is for sale due to an upgrade.:rolleyes:
  11. yamaha produce a bike / cruiser called the 'Bolt' have a look at it, women seem to like it, not too demanding but enjoyable to ride.
  12. many thanks for your replies. I'll check out the yamaha bolt, thanks Goddie. I like the look of a cruiser CrazyCam, but when sitting on them I'm not totally sold - I think would prefer something more upright if that makes sense. At a local Honda salesroom, I was told that the CBR300 could have the seat lowered bit that entails changing the chassis, seat and suspension - and i thought maybe that would affect the integrity of the bike - it just didn't sound like a good idea - thoughts??? East Coast Cruiser, I'll check the kawasaki eliminator thanks.
  13. As for the name, I love beer!!! that's all!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. It's worth noting the Bolt, as a 950cc bike, is not LAMS approved.
  15. Hey alewenchalewench welcome! Go the Ninja 300- sporty, a deceptively good ride and readily lowered to accommodate my height to weight challenged stature (I'm 5'1" and shrinking by the year proportionally to the increase in my girth :()
    Great little learners bike
  16. Thanks Mick M - I just noted that!
    Oldmaid, I'll check it out, thank you.
  17. Hi alewenchalewench and welcome. We're all a bunch of shortasses, and we all like beer! So you're in good company. Lots of people have overcome this issue, and will chime in to help. Seems like the Ninja 300 is a good choice, so have a look at it. Enjoy riding!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ha! I posted before OldmaidOldmaid 's post came through. Must be a good bike!
  19. Hi alewenchalewench , Whatever the bike just make sure you can get your feet flat on the ground whilst still learning. Have a read of FlickaFlicka 's post "ouch" and you will see why. Her outcome could have been avoided with the right bike or height adjustments. Start low , build your skills and confidence then step up to a taller bike if you still want to later. Ride safe