Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Des, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Hi all, just signed up - I use fireblades.org quite a lot but thought I should find an Aussie forum and this one looks the best.

I'm currently in the UK but plan to move over late next year, all being well. Great, another Pom right? =;

At the moment I have a 1998 Fireblade and a battered 1988 VFR (it was nice until I fell off!)

CIMG4395.

CIMG3601.

I'm not planning to bring either bike with me, though.

See you all on the forum

2. HiDee HoDee & Welcome!
    The inevitable question is, so which bit of the wide brown land are you eyeing up as your destination? Just be aware that which ever city you name it WILL be flamed, not you though - just the city, it's the Australian way lol

3. Welcome mate, when u get here, smile for the cameras :)

4. Hahahaha Goz !

G'day Des and welcome to Netrider, soon to be Australia as well.
    Cum to Mehico..we laik hombres wit rapido motocyclettas ! :D

5. Welcome, and don't discount the idea of bringing at least one of your bikes - I just got a new boss at work (he was CIO of Severn-Trent Water prior), and he's spewing that he didn't bring his... Apparently he was told it was too hard/expensive, but has since discovered it's neither.

6. I'm fairly sure that you don't have to pay import taxes for bikes older than xx years (or bikes built before yyyy - not sure which). I know this because when we came over mum didn't have to pay for her bike but dad had to get import documents, etc...

Dad didn't end up getting his bike, because we had been screwed over by the immigration advisors who told us we didn't have to organise anything (but it turned out we had to organise everything).

I was only young at the time, so I can't go into more specifics than this... just make sure you get the right advise or find out yourself from a reliable source (ie. government website).

P.S. I love your avatar j3st3r! :D

7. Cheers - we're heading for QLD, not sure where yet - got a trip booked to take a look around in a few months to decide.

Flame away!

8. Thanks for the welcomes.

9. Thanks for the advice - I've not ruled out the export idea for definite. I won't bother with the VFR, just not worth it. For what it would cost to export the FireBlade, I could probably buy a similar one over there.

The thing is, I don't really want a FireBlade any more!

10. Welcome Des. Those old VFR's sure still pull!

Cam

11. Thanks - and yes they do, great engines, good for surprising people too! :D

12. Ohh ok, fair enough. You could probably sell them and buy a different bike then :p

If you do decide to import it/them, it seems you'll need the following websites.

Australian Customs and Border Protection Service

Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service

Department of Infrastructure and Transport

I haven't read them all, but they seem to be all you will need.

The Customs website has a step-by-step type thing of what to do.

Anyway, it's all up to you. Hopefully you make a good decision :)

13. Thanks for the links, much appreciated.