Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New member - Western Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Nug-Nugget, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Hi all, sorry for the late intro. I'm 27 and I'm from the western suburbs of Sydney.

This probably all started when I was on holiday in Vietnam earlier this year. The most fun I had there was riding scooters with my brother along the coast. I loved the freedom of riding. When I got back to Australia my friend let me ride his postie and I felt the same feeling I felt in Vietnam and thought I'd buy a postie. Then things changed when I found out I had to do a pre learners course which would be a good opportunity for me to learn to ride manual bikes, so I thought if they're going to teach me to ride manual I may as well buy a decent bike.

I've been riding a 2007 VTR250 for about 2 weeks now. At first it was very daunting and discouraging but in the last 2 days I have been having a lot more fun and my confidence is growing. I think this might be due to my friend throwing me into the deep end a few days ago. He has a Buell Lightning and suggested we go for a ride around the suburbs during school zone times (!). This was the first time I ever went out onto busy roads and I made a few very embarrassing mistakes. Anyways I've learned from those mistakes and pretty much got the hang of the basic starting and stopping techniques. Now I need to work on leaning and turning corners a little quicker and more precise. I would also like to learn to take off with my right foot down so I can put it in neutral during long stops.

I still get a little nervous on the roads, I've only put the bike into neutral once at a traffic light, and that was in the middle of the night with no cars in sight.

Well that's probably it for now, sorry for the long read. I look forward to meeting some of you and having more fun on the roads.
  2. G'day mate and welcome

Don't know if you've checked out the Sydney Homebush learner's practice session thread --> https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=97506

Feel free to come along.

Most Saturday's at 1:00PM. Location and other details in the first post and up to the day info on this week's session in the last posts.

Fun Ha!
  3. Thanks mate. Yep those Homebush learners sessions have been on my to do list after I first found out about them. Will definitely be going as soon as I'm ready.
  4. Look forward to meeting you then (y)

If you ask in the thread there may be someone near where you live who would be happy to ride there with you. It certainly helped me the first time.

Fun Ha!
  5. Helped me out as well the first time over. AFAIK we've got plenty of people coming in from the West so yell out if you want to come this weekend. "As soon as you're ready" could be tomorrow!
  6. Gday Rs ! Welcome.

7. keep away from that habit, your foot should be on the rear brake even when taking off, always take off with left foot down
  8. Welcome rs cosworth so do you own a cossie as your name implies??????
  9. Welcome!! Glad you're enjoying yourself and getting more confidence.
  10. Thanks for the welcome all.

I'm working the next few weekends so I won't be able to attend any sessions for a while. I will definitely give you guys a yell when I go. It's hard for me to get a weekend off with just the bike, my missus gets jealous of the time I spend with it :?

goz, thanks for the advice re: left foot down.

trent, no I don't own a cossie. A few years back I was obsessed with them and was very close to buying a Sapphire Cosworth but opted for the more "sensible" option in the form of a WRX. I now own a Ford Fiesta XR4. Still love the cossies though. The user name just stuck, I should probably change it.
  11. Welcome to NR.

By the way, we do do other days than Sats on request. If an Ls session midweek would help post up in the Ls thread and we'll get it organised.

12. Welcome, I'm in the inner west, so let me know if you want to meet up for a ride. Wouldn't be anything crazy for a learner, I'm on a VFR afterall and we have a reputation to maintain...
  13. Welcome mate.

Just keep your eyes open and expect any other road users/peds to do something stupid and you'll be fine. It all takes time.
    Good luck