Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New member (WA), New Rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Burga_1, Apr 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Hi all,
    Have been lurking for a while and finally joined. Paid for premium member within minutes of joining to support the awesome work mods and admin have been doing.
    I had been sitting on my Ls for over a year, had been looking at road bikes before getting Ls then everthing went cold after getting them. Last week finally got a new fire under my bum, walked into Yamaha and 2 days later I rode out on a brand new FZ6R white with red frame. Love this bike.
    As I left the dealers with my mate who is my guide whilst on Ls, it has been 11 years since i was last on a bike. 250cc dirt bike compares nothing to this 600 and to say I was shi×%$ng a little was an understatement. Left the dealers and headed away from home direction for first cruise. 65ks of pure pleasure. My face was sore from grinning ear to ear whilst riding.
    Ive got the bug back and I love this. Why did I wait so long.
    Now to work on getting my P's, which im told in WA I wont need to display due to my age and how long Ive held my MDL. Time will tell.
    Thanks to all who have contributed to this site there is some much information shared it is going to take me weeks of full time reading to view it all. Everyone's knowledge is invaluable especially for those of us who are new.

Safe travels, rubber side down.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Welcome and awesome :cool:

Bike pics plx!!! ;)

3. G'day Burga_1Burga_1, welcome to Netrider. Congratulations getting your FZ6R! They are an excellent motorcycle - I have the non-faired version, the XJ6 and it has been very enjoyable to ride. Let us know how you progress towards getting your Provisional rider licence - it'd be nice if you are not required to display P-plates.

4. Welcome and I agree, this forum is the bomb! Riders here make it spesh....

5. Thanks for the welcome's.
    I'll endeavor to get some pic's thrown up soon.

6. Welcome to the forum.

I also demand some pictures!

7. G'day Burga_1. Similar to you I have just got my first bike, but at the ripe age of 50 I'm not so much into the crotch rockets, so I picked up a Harley street 500 to cruise around on. I am a step ahead of you in the licensing process having got my "P's" a couple of months ago, as for displaying the P plates (in WA) it is not specifically written anywhere that you don't have to display them.

"During your provisional licence period, you must display P plates in a visible position at the front and back of your motorcycle at all times."
    "Your provisional period ends when you have held a driver’s licence for a period of two years or periods adding up to two years and you have reached the age of 19 years."

The way I read this is if you have held a drivers licence (car or motorbike) for two years and are over 19yrs, then you don't have to display P's. I don't put them on my bike....

• Like Like x 1
  8. Welcome to NR..

9. Welcome to NR from Adelaide

10. Thanks Reckless that is how I had read it as well.
    Congrats on the P's too. I wouldn't be putting them on the Harley either regardless of that rule. :p

11. Thanks Eric & Lazy Libran, overload of information here.

12. Hello and welcome to NR Burga_1Burga_1. Congrats on getting your L's and choosing a great ride. Share some pics please, FZ6R is quite a looker (y)! Once you've got the bug, there's no cure, so it's not surprising that you got back on two wheels. Enjoy and have fun, good luck with your licence test :happy:

13. Yeh..we all get that.

Why did I wait so long??

Good choice in bike and you've got a lot of catching up to do..

Keep riding and keep smiling..

:D

14. welcome aboard :)

15. I shouldn't have taken a 10yr break from riding and i have been sitting on L's with no lessons or bike for the last year until the other week.
    The enjoyment im getting out of riding i wish i had done this 10yrs ago. I'm enjoying the catching up...:)

16. gday Burga_1Burga_1 welcome to NR and your return to riding. isn't it amazing how you can forget the exhilaration of being on two wheels. it is such a great feeling to be back riding you almost wonder how you have forgotten the feeling it gives you.

enjoy your new ride. please keep us updated with your two-wheeled exploits.