Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New member/rider Melbourne

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Dionikon, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Greetings all

I'm from Melbourne and am new to riding, haven't even got a bike yet, but that should be happening in the next couple of weeks. :)

I've been wanting to get my bike license for years and have finally been given the go ahead by the financial controller (aka my wife) so it's full steam ahead before she changes her mind. :p

The bike I'm looking at getting is a Ducati Monster 600 (or 620 if I can find a LAMS one for the right price). I know they're not a terribly fast bike but I want something that sounds good, is reasonably multi-purpose, and is a little unusual (ie not Japanese). If anyone has any other suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Apologies in advance for any dumb questions I may ask. :)

2. Hi and welcome....

Right bike is the one you're happy with...
    But imo, if you're after something larger than a 250, the gs500(f) or cb400 are probably the two of the best lams bike around...

Good luck with whatever you choose...

3. welcome mate

4. Welcome! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay! When you get a bike you should come along to the Tuesday night learners ride and Sat and Sun day ones to! I hear they are amazing! I know I'll be going as soon as I can! Might see you there :)

5. Welcome aboard

6. Welcome to Netrider.
    Great bike choice, good luck with the search.

7. Welcome to Netrider, and the (soon) joys of riding motorcycles :).

8. Hi Dionikon and welcome to Netrider.
    Great choice of 1st bike. My brother dreamed of a similar bike whilst on his L's and ended up with the Ducati 620 LAMS. To this day he 'misses' it :)
    Enjoy and best of luck with your upcoming bike purchase and ensuing fun on it.

9. Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

After some lengthy discussions with someone whose opinion I trust (who owns a CBR 1000 and a Hypermotard 1100) I've decided that the 620 is the go and not the 600, and I think I might have found a suitable steed.

So all that's left to do now is to turn the screws on the price and see what happens. All going well I'll have the bike this weekend. (being fairly optimistic I know but hey, I'm excited)

Then I'm set to do my test next weekend (earliest booking I could get) and I'm off and riding. :)

10. Hi and welcome to NR

11. Welcome to NR :D

12. Welcome to you mate,
    oh and for a first bike, I wouldn't exactly call the monster slow mate, that things got more then enough power for you to learn to control for at least a year or so ;)
    Hell my 250 is pretty god damn fast..

Im a big fan of the monsters, was going to get one except my misses ended up wanting a bike too so I went with two honda vtr250s for cost reasons (mini monsters basically). Would highly recommend one for a first bike, they definitely don't look generic and are stupidly fun to throw around the twisties, with heaps of get up and go torque.

13. Hi Dionikon, welcome to NetRider. Good luck with the big purchase!

No such thing as a dumb question mate, everyone here is keen to help :)

KN

14. Well the first part of my evil plan is complete.

I am now the (very) proud owner of a 2005 Ducati Monster Lite in Matt Black with Termi pipes (the stock pipes came with the bike and will be put on while I'm on my L's). It's done quite a few k's (25K) but is in great condition as far as I can tell and seems to be very well looked after.

Can't wait till next weekend when I get my license so I can get it out on the road.

:D

15. Hey Dionikon,

I was looking at a Ducati Monster Lite on bikesales on Monday and noticed it was no longer advertised today! If that's the same bike, congrats it seemed absolutely awesome!!

Good luck with your license next weekend, I'm doing mine at HART same weekend too.

Cheers,

16. Hey Comrade,

The 2 bikes I was after are both still on bike sales so it's probably a different one.

Doing the course at Somerton? If so, me too! Might see you there.

17. Wot he said

Welcome to the forummm

18. Welcome on board Dionikon. Where in Melbourne are you?

19.  Top
  20. Looks like we are booked on the same weekend mate! I'm doing the 2 day course as I'm a complete newbie! You will recognize me easily enough, I'll be the one that is nervous as all hell.

see ya soon