Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New member, old rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by 51Modelbloke, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Greetings, I joined Netrider this afternoon in my research for a bike, was chasing reviews on the soon to be released Ducati Scrambler. Granted, I havent really been in the saddle for about 20 years, my last bike being a Kawasaki 750 GT. A friend of mine a has a collection of old bikes here in the Blue Mountains, and has been encouraging me to get back riding.

Next year, I'm planning to buy a new bike, I'd prefer something a little younger than my mates collection of Matchless'es, Montgomery's etc. I quite like the look of the Royal Enfield Continental GT and my son is pressuring me to check out the Ducati. I'm not after a jet rocket but something a little more sedate, more in keeping with an old bloke. Any thoughts?

Looking forward to reading others experiences etc, and getting back on two wheels again. Know where I can get some training wheels?

Cheers,
    51Modelbloke

2. Welcome, not sure I am much help with choosing a bike, I have not been keeping up with current models. Usually we say list your requirements, touring, commuting, weekend rides with mates, pillion (although you won't have that to worry about for a while)

3. Welcome. It sounds like you might be looking for similar to what I was, though I'm not quite your vintage :)

20 years ago when I last rode, the speeds we'd do routinely would get you on the tv news today (at least out here in the bush). And the bikes themselves have only got faster!

So I wanted something that would be fun to ride at moderate speeds. I also wanted to avoid anything in the 300kg weight class.

I ended up getting a Guzzi V7 but the others I considered (based pretty much on reviews) were:
    Triumph Bonneville - a little heavier and somewhat more powerful than the guzzi
    Yamaha Bolt - seems a pretty good all rounder for a 'custom' though ground clearance still an issue
    Harley sportster - but none of them really grabbed me and ground clearance
    Yamaha SR400 - I had a 500 that I loved but the 400 just seemed too little power and a highway robbery price - the MT03 is a better buy

I'm enjoying the Guzzi but think I might be tempted by something a little zippier to go with it... A mate who's working at the local Ducati dealer reckons he'll see me next year. But I don't know, I'd have bought a Sport Classic without thinking twice, but there's nothing in their line up these days that really grabs me except perhaps the Scrambler and I'll wait and see about that.

Cheers, sorry to rabbit on...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gday
    We seem to be the same vintage and I have returned to riding a few years ago. When I was young I rode small bikes because that was all I could buy. When I started again I promoted myself to a BMW 650. I still have it but I found that the design was compromised. They had put a smaller engine into the same size frame as the bigger models so it felt heavy and underpowered. I eventually learned why older blokes ride big twins instead of more modern designs. The reason is you don't have to change gears as much because they have more torque at low revs. It means if you haven't changed down when you enter a corner you can save yourself just by twisting the throttle. On a high revving Japanese style bike you have to work harder and pay more attention. I gradually got over my attraction to older style bikes because modern bikes are really a much more reliable way to go. I have noticed several other people I know who have bought one of the retro style bikes and then swapped it for a modern one because as their skills improved they got tired of the clunky old way of doing it. My new years resolution is to only ride bikes from the 21st century.
    The other thing that matters to me is the riding stance. I like to sit upright., anything that involves leaning forward with your weight on your wrists will get tiring quite quickly, and when you are tired you are a danger to yourself and others because you will make mistakes.
    One more thing is fairings. The wind chill factor on a naked bike means that you will be exhausted from sitting in a 100kmh wind in a pretty short time, it's like you were in Antarctica, so you have to wear more gear, travel slower, and avoid bad weather. That all adds up to much less riding. To carry a fairing a bike needs to have a bigger engine. The big cruisers that are fashionable now mostly don't have fairings and weigh a lot, although the weight is down low which helps a lot. A full fairing is probably too much to start with so you may have to consider changing bikes as you develop more skills. A good compromise might be something like a Honda VFR about 800 cc or so. They aren't fashionable any more so they can be bought for reasonable prices.

5. Welcome back to riding...

I presume you still have your licence?
    It maybe a good idea to do a one day training course as well.

6. Try the Kawasaki W800, if you're not on a restricted licence.

Reliable retro...

7. Another vote here for the W800, lovely bike and they are good to ride too.

8. welcome aboard :]

9. Hi 51Modelbloke, and welcome.

Aye, back then I, too, had a Kwaka 750 GT.

I test rode the wee BMW of the time, a 650 LS, and went for the Kwaka 'cos it was heaps faster, and lots cheaper, too.

How are you doing for licence?

I'd still like to know what you'd be wanting to do with the bike, and also so hints about how much money you might be prepared to throw at the bike thing.

The "old" bike business, or cheap club rego, is changing ever year....a Kwaka 750 GT is now in the bracket of "Historic" bikes....rego and green slips, cheap as chips, but you are a wee bit limited in where and when you go places.

The "collectors" item type bike....<shrug> doesn't appeal to me, but......a Kwaka 750 Turbo should be just about due to be considered "historic".

Dunno about you, but the modern bikes, with all their electronics, somehow don't really appeal to me.

I also don't fancy dumping twenty plus grand for a new motorbike, when there are heaps of really nice, second hand bikes that can be picked up for about half that.

Sorry if this is a bit of a vague ramble, but you don't really give enough hints of what you really fancy for yourself.

10. Yep, still retain the licence, having said a refresh is probably worth considering

11. Thanks for the thoughts, hmm, maybe an earlier Beemer twin

12. Welcome to the Forum! Lots of help on this site!