Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

new member, new bike, still learning

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by shane2493, Apr 7, 2006.

1. hey
    just got a my first official bike, yamaha xtx660. i've done some riding before, but only dirt bikes on farms and shit like that so i dont have any real traffic riding experience.

and also, its pretty lame being 19 and all and never havng my car licence, so naturally enough im still learning how to operate the clutch/gears properly.

getting off the mark, accelerating is no prob, its just the constant slowing down for traffic, picking the right gear to be in to take off again.

im sorta regretting buying this bike. i love it, its just that it doesnt have the speedodial, its digital... so i cant see the revs or anything. which is pretty screwed up since ive never really drove a car before either.

any tips on just how to know what gear to be in to take off, and creep(?) forward in slow traffic.

2. Welcome Shane to a great community
  3. Welcome Shane, :grin: As my alias suggests, i,ll play the bad guy,,,
    :shock: I,d be avoiding traffic at this stage m8, the biggest issue as i see is your lack of traffic sense,,"and i dont mean that in a nasty sense" Pick your time to ride when the traffic is low, make a pre-determined route, ride it regulary until you KNOW your bike, the gearing will come of its own accord, actually, in direct proportion of how well you KNOW your bike, and a deal of common sense. As for creeping,,,well m8 im short enough in the arse to have a low ride hieght so i,ll walk/roll it forward for small hops, a slow crawl shouldnt be much different to what you may have learnt whilst obtaining your licence. Make your first riding experience a good one and you most likely ride for a long time,,, so ,,,stay out of traffic for a bit ehh? Best of luck m8, cya on the road.. :)
  4. Welcome. Yeah, traffic makes a difference.
    I'm not familiar with the model, but if it's the big single cylinder jobbie, you probably don't need a tacho. It shoulg have a fair bit of grunt down low, and give you plenty of clear indication if you have the revs too low (it will shudder and hop) or if you are taking them too high (the bike will make a lot of vibration, be very reluctant to go much faster, and in the blurring mirrors you'll just be able to make out the flashing red and blue lights. ;) )

(once again I haven't ridden a bike like your's but I'm guessing it would have fairly similar characteristics to a Bimmer F650)
    As a general rule, Always start off in first gear (that's why they call it that!) but you should only need to engage first gear to get the bike moving from a standstill. If you only have to slow down to (like) walking speed in heavy traffic, but don't need to stop, then second gear should be fine. As I said, if second gear is too tall, and the revs are too low, it will go all lumpy on you until it gets up to speed.
  5. hi shane and welcome mate :) I had similar thing with my cbx at first, but i started counting the gears in my head so i always knew which gear i was in :) Dont get down about it and start thinking of selling it, just practice thats all, and you will get the hang of it. Very good advice Reaper has given you, stick with it mate and before you know you will be cruising around like you have been riding it for years :) You can slow ride at walking speed, it is quite easy once you have a few practice goes, keep feet on the pegs, first gear, keep looking up ahead NOT infront of you, and use your back brake to keep you going slow and adjust your clutch so its grabbing but not fully. Hard to describe but if you practice it will make those slow moving traffic easier :) Go to an empty carpark at shopping centre on say a sunday afternoon, and practice slow riding as though your in traffic, just without the danger aspect :)
  6. Whoa...!!!! Before too long, you're going to have the gear thing sorted and you'll love this bike. A supermotard, big single has to be as much fun as you can have with your pants still on. Put sticky tyres on this, some heavier oil in the forks, drop the front and rear a bit (I think Mike Hone Motorcycles did a write-up on this) and you'll be riding a serious weapon.

But all that can come later. Don't stress about not having a tacho. I don't think they're much help to you anyway - just one more thing to distract you when you need to be watching the road. There are plenty of entry-level bikes that don't come with a tacho so you're not alone.

I agree with Moike - this bike has enough torque to be forgiving if you are a gear too high or low. Get out and do some riding, learn the sound and feel of the bike and it won't be long before you've worked out when to up- or down-shift. New housing developments are handy - good roads, little traffic.
  7. cheers everyone

i flew up to sydney today to pick my bike up. i only moved to vic a month ago and couldnt get it down with me.

i picked it up from base and rode it around the area i used to live, vaclause(?)/watsons bay area then got the balls to get on the main roads

im definately not regretting it now. was alot of fun. at a mates place now in waterloo, rode it fairly well i reckon thru the traffic of bondi junction and anzac pde etc. gota get blue slip n rego tomorrow then ride to newie in the arvo.

having a rest tonight tho, dont want to be riding at night just quite yet.

thanks for the tips.
  8. Wise words there shane, from two single-cylinder gurus, listen and learn...

You'll go back and read your first post in a month's time or more and laugh with us; starting out is always scary, even if you have a car licence.

Persevere, practice and don't let anyone point out what you haven't got; just enjoy what you have...
  9. Yeah it all comes down to practice practice practice. A couple of good long days riding and you'll fine it down to a fine art. I personally don't feel that not having your drivers licence before your bike should hinder you at all. Car and bike controls while fundamentally do the same job, they are used in a greatly different manner.

I feel about the only thing you'll be missing out on is not having some of the road craft and sense of awareness about the road that you get from driving. However, i think you'll pick it up quick smart because i find whenever i get on the bike i am much more alert and i notice alot more things then i do whilst driving the car (and i consider myself a fairly competent and alert driver).

Good luck with it all, keep it rubber side down, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!!
  10. yeh todays good 3 hours of riding helped alot. cant wait to get back on it tomorrow and do the ride back home.
  11. excellent shane :) go careful mate, sounds like your having a ball :)
  12. My bike has the same engine as yours, except in a sportsbike frame.

Sweet bike, you'll love it once you get the hang of it.

Regarding revs, as others have said, if it gets too low the bike will start to get really choppy in its power delivery. My bikes carburatoured(spelling?), so its really bad if you get too low.
    Your's with its schmick fuel injection, will be much better. I would say you would have to be going really slow in a high gear to get any bad effects.

One really important thing you should know about the power on this engine- while you can get too low, you can't over-rev it :)
    It's quite softly tuned, and is ultra reliable. You can redline it in every gear, no worries (mabye less in 2nd, definetly not 1st). So rev that bastard hard, and don't give it a second thought.
    Don't be afraid to use the throttle judiciously, and use the whole of the broad spread of power. Then change up to the next ratio. Repeat.
  13. ok sweet thanks

i rode from bondi junction to muswellbrook today. im pretty worn out hey.

the bike held up good. its got about 450 k's on it now so its getting old, ha.

i stalled in once on the pacific hwy near lidcombe haha but i was rolling so it wasnt all bad. the sydney traffic still didnt like it tho. haha they are crazy fcukers.

yeah i dont know how to speak bike language yet. tho im understanding the sound of the bike and what speeds to change gear, up and down. how to idle along, for long distances in shitty traffic.

didnt push it to its limit too much, but on the freeway i punched it to 160 for a bit. fcuking cool feeling. wont go too crazy too early.