Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New member from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by daevilone, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Hi All,

After completing my L's course a month ago I finally got my first bike yesterday - a GS500.

I've lived in Canberra for most of my life before moving up to Sydney 18months ago for work.

I've always been interested in bikes but I'd never gotten around to actually going and getting a license (don't really know why?). My Uncle in Melbourne has always had a very enviable collection of bikes (~30 odd various classics and a few more modern things) that I'd admired my whole life.

My partner and I have vague plans to move over to the UK at some point maybe next year so I thought one day "a motorbike would be a nice way to get around the UK/Europe". Surprisingly, my partner replied with "go get your license then". From there I booked the test ( a heap of fun ) and began hunting for bikes.
    The hunt was rather short lived when one of my mates in Sydney who I knew from Canberra got in touch saying that he was just about to sell his learner bike, he just needed to fix up a few things. Awesomely convenient as I wasn't looking forward to buying a used bike having only ever done the L's course, not really knowing many people in Sydney who ride).
    So I helped him rebuild that, took it for a test ride last week and I was sold.

Picked it up yesterday and did my first ride in traffic and clocked up about 100km and then did the (pretty easy for Sydney) commute this morning.

Heaps to learn but it's amazing how much you learn in very short periods riding. Hopefully I'll get along to some of the learner rides - they look great.

Here is a picture - not the best I might try to take better pictures of the beast tonight.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome along.
    Enjoy the learning. Plenty of great info on here. Homebush sessions are great for tips and meeting people.
  3. Welcome daevilonedaevilone and enjoy your new adventure on two wheels (y)
  4. welcome to Netrider and life on 2 wheels!
  5. welcome aboard :]
  6. Welcome to a lifetime of addiction.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Welcome; the GS500 and variants is near the top of the list as the weapon of choice for naked LAMS bikes.....
  8. Thanks for the welcome!
    Yes, when my mate mentioned he had a GS500 he was about to get rid of I did a stupid amount of reading and they seemed like a pretty good idea.
    Having now ridden it for a few days, there is certainly a lot there for a new rider. More than enough to get me into trouble haha.
    A day late but some slightly better photos.

• Like Like x 4