Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New member from sydney :)

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by toisanact, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Hi everyone!

Just want to say hi to my new family (you guys!) and thanks for the website.

I'm planning to buy a motorbike in a couple of months for some of my commute to uni :)

I actaully dont know much about bikes and am reading alot of forums on what bike to get.

I'm of very small frame, 166cm, 55kg, (i'm asian) so im wasn't sure if it was right for me to get a bike back in highschool, but now I got a job I say ynot, bcos i pedal bike all the time as well as drive.

I might be buying the new ninja, Im not sure if buying a used bike would work cause i wouldnt know how to check on whether the bike is good condition, plus i can afford a new bike in a few months anyway

i welcome all advice XD
    talk to you all soon
  2. Welcome!
    As a side note, don't let not knowing what to look for in a 2nd hand bike put you off from considering them as you're likely to make some biker friends with experience who may be willing to give you a hand and check out any prospects.
  3. Welcome mate, and +1 to what Devo said ^^
    Plenty of friendly, knowledgable folk around here, and for a case of beer, a bottle of scotch or (in some cases ;)) a gift voucher to the local knocking shop you'll find someone willing to give some time and tag along with you.
  4. welcome in bud :)
  5. G'day mate

Fun Ha!
  6. don't buy brand new if you don't absolutely have to. first bike - you're almost certainly going to drop it (= money spent repairing it) or crash it (= much more money spent repairing it) and you want something you can thrash a little bit - as you want a bike you can ride in the wrong gear accidentally or learn mistakes on... and then rectify those mistakes :)
  7. Welcome toisanact, where abouts are you in sydney?

Dont buy a brand new bike and dont let weight discourage you from buying the bike you want.
  8. Welcome on board!

I actually bought a new bike for my first, and I'm glad that I did. What the others say is true, you may mistreat it a little bit at first, but, IMO, having a new bike forced me to treat it very gently to begin with while learning (still learning of course). For me, the reason I went new was that I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be faced with a bike breaking down while I was not experienced enough to deal with it. A new bike can still break down too, but I figured it would be less likely to do so. Having a chain break while learning to ride at first was not what I wanted to have happen. Also, with LAMS bikes, they seem to hold their value well, so, for a few extra thousand I figured I'd get a full warranty with tyre/rim insurance etc. This is just my opinion of course, but, I just wanted to offer a different point of view from the advice already given, just to give you all the info to make a decision with. Anyway, new or second hand, I'm sure you'll have a blast!
  9. Hi and welcome aboard :)