Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Melbourne rider

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Raeynn, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,

I've been lurking for some time and thought it was about time I introduce myself. I got my license a few months ago but hit the road block of taking a long time to decide on what protective gear to purchase. Now that that's done with I've become more active as I read up on bikes which I am sure will take me even longer to decide.

I am trying to keep the price low for the first bike (or at least stay with something that will retain a decent resale value over the next year or two) and as I am 6'4, many bikes have been too small to remain comfortable over longer rides.

In any case, I hope to get something sorted out soon, start meeting riders and becoming more involved in the community.
  2. Welcome to Netrider, and the agonizing decision-making process.

One of the curses of the LAMS template is that low-end bikes cost far too much. You can buy a 1000cc sports bike second hand for cheaper than a clapped out LAMS machine. The up-side is if you look after it you stand a reasonable chance of getting a fair bit of your money back.
  3. Welcome to NR. (y)

Have you thought about the sort of bike you are interested in? Sports, Cruiser, Tourer etc?
  4. Welcome to Netrider Raeynn. What part of Melbourne are you from?
  5. welcome to NR, pop down to sat morn prac sessions and talk to people about their bikes, couple of tall people there!! might help you decide which bike takes your fancy
  6. Hi and welcome to NR
  7. I'm leaning towards sports/touring but I'm fairly open as I am sure I could put up with anything during LAMS. More focused on price and size. I'm living on Royal Parade, so fairly CBD - where does the Saturday group meet, I'll swing by on my pushbike.
  8. Marine Pde Elwood behind the BP petrol Station.

See this thread.