Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Melbourne Rain Radar

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pvda, Oct 3, 2007.

1. I noticed the Laverton radar is back on line and with some snazzy new functions including 64, 128 & 256 km range screens, 6 screen loops in place of the original 4 loop version and a Wind Doppler radar function.

You can also scroll down the screen a bit further and add roads, railways and rivers to the map.

2. It's taken them this long to get it back online?

They erected it months ago.
  3. They need to do some fine tuning, I think. There's been that scatter pattern around (particularly just east of Healseville) unchanged for more than a couple of days now. That's definitely not an accurate reading.
  4. Noticed the upgrade last night. She's a wee ripper.
  5. huhuhuh, you said erected.

:cool: :LOL: :cool:
  6. Its been going for some tome now i believe.. :?
  7. I like the new radar, it's been up for a little while now... Interestingly, I've noticed that it's ALWAYS raining around Healesville... it can't ALWAYS be raining around Healesville ?????
  8. Forecast for Thursday:

7:00am - Fine.
    7:30am - Rain.
    8:00am - Rain and Windy.
    8:30am - Windy.
    9:00am - Fine.
    9:30am - Rain.
    10:00am - Rain and Windy.
    10:30am - Windy.
    11:00am - Fine.

9. my work is highly dependant on weather.
    we dont use BOM anymore, but use eldersweather.
    it puts all the raw data from BOM and generates zoomable, statewide or aus-wide radar.
    very handy when you are tossing up between heading to gippy, or heading to west wyalong at 5:30am in the morning :)

10. Common for radar to have areas of permanent clutter, which is why it's good practice to use another radar to look at the same area from a different angle. Clutter can be caused by birds, local reflection off high hills, sea clutter etc.
    Non doppler radar cannot see through heavy rain, so you really don't know what's behind it unless you use another radar.

Regards, Andrew.
  11. The old radar didn't suffer from the same artefact though...

The elders site rocks!