Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Melbourne Member!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Danielle, Jan 21, 2007.

2. HONDA NSR150-SP (is this a crazy mans bike???)

0 vote(s)
  3. HONDA CBR250R

0 vote(s)

0 vote(s)

0 vote(s)
  6. Suzuki Accross .. or did i already list it?

0 vote(s)
  7. Honda VTR250

0 vote(s)
  1. Hello all :)

I got my bike license a year or two ago, and still havent got one! It is definitely on the cards for 2007 and the purchase will happen some time this year as I am working! I previously got very close to buying a bike (in fact i had a deposit on a suzuki accross) but then chickened out.. (given this was before i could drive a manual car).

I am somewhat closer to actually becoming a rider in the physical sense now.. i can drive a manual car, have got full riders license , and completed an advanced course over at HART (the people were all very nice.)

I am trying to establish what the best bike would be for me to purchase. Something easy to ride, not too heavy, oh and colour is very important (I'm a girl :p) So feel free to add your views to my poll!

Hopefully you'll see me on the road sooner rather than later!! Oh , and without my dog (see netrider albums > misc > pets) cos i dont fancy attaching a sidecar to my fully sick bike (to be.)

The END! :dance:
  2. Go the ZZR. You can also look at rhe GPX as well.. Oh and welcome to the forums..
  3. you already got your license one year ago? Why stick with 250?
  4. Hi, Danielle,

Welcome to the forums. Have you done your research and narrowed it down to the bikes on the list, or are you looking for other possible suggestions?

Conventional wisdom is that you should avoid fairings for your first bike. There are two good reasons:
    1. You'll drop it, and fairings are expensive to fix.
    2. Fairings give crosswinds more to push against.

If you haven't got your heart absolutely set on one of the bikes you listed you might want to give us an idea of your budget and get suggestions for a few naked 250s.

In any case, we can only give suggestions. You're the one who'll have to ride whatever you buy, so make sure you at least sit on it. Better yet, test ride it if you can, but at the bare minimum sit on the bike with both feet up.

Best of luck getting your first bike. I'm sure you'll love it. :grin:
  5. Hi Danielle,

Being in the enviable position of already having a full licence, you may find yourself very quickly becoming bored with whatever 250 you buy, so my suggestion would be to buy something inexpensive and save ya big brass for the 600 you will start dreaming about once you start riding.

All the bikes you mentioned are fine, my personal preference is towards the zzr250, but I am a biased Kwaka fan.. My second choice would be the spuzuki across, mainly due its engine/gearbox strength and its ability to carry a six pack of JD & C's and a small pizza in the tank, or alternatively Vodka Cruisers and a quiche... :p

Happy hunting and safe riding
  6. Welcome Danielle - good luck with your bike choices. Make sure you ride each of them and go with the one that does the most for you.
  7. Welcome Danielle.

You need to sit on each of them first, this may help you eliminate choices i.e because the bike may feel too heavy or light, or have an uncomfortable seating position.

I have an Across and I find it really easy to ride and the boot is very handy when you need to carry stuff. However given that you have a full driver’s license it might be worthwhile looking at some 600 as well. You might find that you get bored with a 250 after awhile.

Good luck with the search. :grin:
  8. welcome danielle, i too waited some time between getting my licence and getting my bike......no matter what u get u'll have a ball

9. NSR NSR NSR :p

Fouling up the plugs is a pain in the arse, but you get used to it. & it gives you more reason to rev the guts out of it at the lights & look "really cool." Having said that though, I always feel like an idiot.

& Welcome Danielle!!!!
  10. I believe the VTR250 is the best learner bike out there.
  11. I would look at getting a cheap 250 because once it has served it's purpose (learning on) you will be looking to get something a bit bigger.

How tall are you Danielle? You could look into getting a grey import in a 400.
  12. vrmmm vrmmmmmmm

Wow. what a response! Thanks everyone. the shortlist of bikes isn't hard & fast, from the advice thus far, i am well inclined to go for a naked bike. I kinda thought a 250 might get boring but when i was at hart i rode a CB250 and it was nice and easy. i got on the 600 (hornet , i think) and i felt like it was going to fall on top of me sideways, it was soo heavy and hard to control at low speeds (and what a silly head i'd look if i dropped my bike while trying to get the stand down)

seeing as my on road experience was a half hour stint driving the wrong way down a one way street in bali, on a scooter, i think i need to buy a 250 until i get comfortable, then upgrade later. i am looking to spend around 4k so i have plenty money left over for a decent helmet, jacket etc... (maybe i can get one in PINK!)

the bike i always drool over is a hondacbr250..../

Cruisingal: i am 167cm tall, and i would consider a 400

loz: the vtr seems a nice bike but its too cruiser-looking what i am looking for

chani: i have heard many conflicting opinons about the NSR150, i dont really know what fouling up the plugs mean but i assume it means the spark plugs jumping out of their little sprockety things?

kezza01: thanks for the support :D i have been working up my courage for a while!

shambles: thanks for that, i test drove an accross, and the little storage thing seems pretty nifty . i'm thinking about a non-250 , but putting safety first, it might be better to stick with the little engines

Mithel thanks :)

nobby thanks for that, i think that might be the go... especially if i have a big fall and then chicken out for riding for the rest of my life.. i wouldnt have wanted to spend up big on a bike.. a cheap 250 is the best starter i think... so far :)

El Damo very helpful! my research has just been pretty much on ebay/ bikesales looking at pictures and going "oohhh pretty" or "um no" so i am open to suggestions from those wiser & more experienced. i dont wanna be told "i told u so" so i may go naked or semi-naked bike..
    my budget is around 4-5k, but if i can get something in the 3k range, even better!!

blue12: thanks :) the zzr seems to be winning from that list.. but why does no-one else see the greatness of a cbr250? are they overrated or something, seen as the commodore of the bike world? not that i dont like commodores.. *hides*

Cash & MG basically cos i am unco and i dont want to be an idiot who first gets on the road with a bike too powerful for them, and crashes and breaks things (very scary) i am well aware of my own lack of skill so.. i need to start from the start..

the end :biker:
  13. The VTR isn't a cruiser, it's a sporty naked bike, and it's very friendly to ride, and can do just about everything you want when you're getting started.

There's nothing wrong with CBR250s, but they're race bikes and they make shitty learner bikes. You first learn this when you can't work out why it's so hard for you to do a u-turn when your mates are whizzing around feet up and you're squashing your thumbs against the tank.

But plenty of people have ignored this advice in the past and plenty will continue to because they want a bike that looks fooli sik. Go bananas, buy one if you want, but to me the silliest looking things on the road are race bikes ridden by dopey newbies. I reckon you're best off getting a bike that accereates your learning by making things comfortable and accessible and giving you confidence.
  14. dopey n00bz

Hey Loz,
    thanks for your insights. i think i can forgo looking "FOOOLY SIKKK" for having a bike thats suitable for my current needs. ... i can always get a high powered hot pink fulli-sick sports bike with lots of bLinG when i've learnt to ride on something easier.. your comments are very helpful, i've come here for advice and to avoid being the dopey n00b on the streets holding up traffic and dropping the bike on their toes. so the vtr is now added to my list of 'bikes 2 consider'

The end :)
  15. Re: vrmmm vrmmmmmmm

zzr's are more comfy. cbr's come in prettier colours. it's a girly choice option thing.
  16. Nah, fouling up the plugs is getting too much petrol (I THINK, open to correction on that) in the plugs. I don't know the technical reasons & so forth.

Because it's a two stroke, you have to "ride it like you stole it."

I was advised, always in a lower gear than you THINK it should be & attempt to get around town in first. Where possible of course, it gets up to around fiddy in first, so most short trips are fine.

I dunno, it's rather tempramental. Sitting at the lights from a freeway where you've been riding in third & come back to first, it'll stall, but some days it won't.

I don't know, but after a few rides you get used to it. Plus, it goes faster than two fiddys :wink: I mean... It's a nice girls bike :wink:

Oh, it's also a little shorter than the CBR250, I don't know how tall you are, but if you're like me & have short legs, it's a good height.

Ahhh... That's all I can think of right now :)
  17. Very good advice, I have a VTR and love it to bits. You should be able to pick one up within your budget. Dont forget get some good gear as well.

Welcome to Netrider Danielle. :)
  18. So you know i'm biased, i've had a GPX for a year an a bit now, and totally love it. I've said the same thing in a few places around here, but the ZZR an GPX are basically the same bike, they just have different fairings, i'm fairly certain the engine an frame are identical. I think they're a better learner bike than the 4 cylinder options, like the cbr an the across, because the power curve on the twins is a lot smoother, meaning theres no point where you get a big burst of power, you just have power anywhere on the rev-range.

That's also the big drawback of the nsr and any other 2 strokes, there's always a point where they go from barely moving to accelerating maniacally. Being a first bike, if you're not exactly comfortable to start with, it's probably better to not complicate things by getting a bike than can honestly be a bit scary. Also, a mate of mine has an RGV, which is a suzuki 2 stroke 250, and he always seems to be having engine troubles with it... that could just be because he doesn't really look after it that well, but i have heard from people that 2 strokes are more unreliable and harder to start. That said, once you get used to the way a 2 stroke works, they're great fun. It's just the 'getting used to' part that makes things a bit scary.

I would say the best in the list would be the gpx or zzr, being basically the same bike, then the across because of the boot, the cbr is less comfy than either of those, but definately good fun, an i can't remember what else there was now. Who ever it was that said you'll drop your first bike is almost definately right, so the non-fairing option is probably a smart one... one other thing you could consider though, is getting one of those korean 650s, the hyosungs? I'm not sure that they're available in victoria, but in NSW where licencing works differently, you can get the 650s as a 'learner legal' model, which has something in them to calm them down a bit, which can be removed later at a small cost, changing your learner bike to a real 650. They come full, half faired, or naked, and i gather they're not that much heavier than an average 250.
  19. Fairing??? Or No Fairing!!! I love My lil' baby Bandit...& She's Naked!!!
    I can sympathise with You Danielle :shock: I had never driven a manual car either :? I had no concept of using gears :oops:(I sure do now) \:D/
    I think the VTR or similar are great bikes to learn on...the more upright & roomy in the steering department the better!!!
    The advice I received was: Buy a cheap bike...learn to ride it...sell it fast & buy a BIG ASS TOY...:biker: ...Oneday :rofl: ...lol :dance:
    Cheers :beer:
  20. +1 (Great Learner Bike or even to have some fun with)

You are on the money, you can drop them in your driveway and almost no damage, sometime a brake lever, but thats on $20.