Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Melbourne Learner

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by RockRiffRoger, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Long time pillion passenger getting ready to move into the rider's seat in a couple of weeks.

I'm booked in to do the Learner's course with HART in Tullamarine. Very much looking forward to it.

In addition to being a newb on the bike, I'm a bit of a newb in the forums world too. Am hoping that I can dig up some good info here on getting started. The site looks good so far.

On the bike front, I've been looking at the Ninja 300 and GT250R on the sports side, and the VTR250 on the naked side. I prefer the look of the faired bikes, but have heard that I'm likely to drop it and be up for some expensive repairs during the first few months.

I'm hoping the bike will become my daily commute (from northern suburbs to South Melbourne), but I also want to have some fun with it on weekends.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Cheers,
    RRR.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Howdy & Welcome to NR!

3. Hi RRR, you'll see I'm brand new to biking too, haven't even got a bike yet, doing my L's this weekend. Your post made me realise, I'm looking forward to traveling into the city, for the first time for years! On a bike it should be so much more 'exciting', hopefully for all the right reasons. I'm 47, should have done this decades ago...

4. Welcome mate, there are a tonne of threads on this site regarding bike choices for new riders, covering old vs new, budget, type, height/weight of rider etc. So I suggest you pile in and read them. When you've done that you'll likely have a better idea of which ones you want/like. Then go find them in shops, sit on them, get a feeling for them. Finally go ride those that you're keen on and see what floats your boat.

Happy hunting...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks chillibutton. Am digging in. So far have narrowed to exclude single cylinders... it's a start :)

6. Agreed! No more train platform blues. Will just have to keep upright and keep the bike working.

7. Hi and welcome to NR!

8.  Top
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. G'day and welcome to Netrider, RogerRoger.

10. Welcome RRR,
    Enjoy.

11. WWelcome to NR..

Saturday practice is the place to be...

12. welcome aboard :]

13. The smallest bike I've ever had was a 600cc sportbike (an R6), so I'm not as familiar with the "beginner" bikes. Go for something that will cooperate and work with you. Sportbikes are usually designed for performance at higher speeds. They're shorter and sit up higher, thus the center of gravity is higher. When you first start to turn it feels like you have to put some effort into it, but then it gives a sensation of "falling" once you've got some good lean. Also ask about the compression ratio and powerband of the engine. High-compression engines often "spike" in power when the RPM's get high. So, the bike feels a tad sluggish when the engine is at lower speeds; then (if you're still in the same gear) the bike suddenly gets this boost of power in the higher RPMs. Sure, you can get used to it and learn on it, but you'll thank yourself if you have something where the amount of power is pretty consistent.

I hope we're on the same page when it comes to definition of bike categories. A "naked" bike is like a sport- or dirt bike, but with no fairings. A "standard" is basically a small cruiser. Between the two, the standard will actually have a more solid feel at low speeds. As you move up in bikes, psychology plays a factor. Bikes with an upright riding position (standard, naked, some small cruisers and a few "sport-touring") encourage an alert mindset. Cruisers have a relaxed feel, and crotch rockets have an aggressive riding position which make you want to dominate the road and show the asphalt who's boss.

14. Hi KatanaBart,
    Thanks for the info. I've read that the Honda VTR250 has a fairly linear power increase. Also that it has a fairly upright seating position, which is good for slow speed maneuvering. Looking more and more like the winner.
    Then I can look at a 600 - 750ish for bike no. 2... But learner's first. Baby steps :)

15. The VTR250 doesn't have an upright seating position, but then it depends on how tall you are. I'm 5'1" and I'm in a pretty forward position even though it's lowered to cater for my 'shortness'. It's a very forgiving bike being a V twin. I don't have to rummage around the gears too much when doing the really fun stuff.

16. It was pretty upright to me. Certainly more so than something like a CBR, but not like a cruiser..

But a cruiser is a completely different kettle of fish bc it has a forward foot position.

17. Don't buy the Hyo.

Welcome.

18.  Top