Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New look speed cameras

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by movin, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Dont know if this has been posted before but got this email today.

Beware the new style of speed camera,s being used.

There's one on Maroondah Hwy in Croydon between Croydon and Dorset Roads – a few hundred metres along from the bottom of the big hill.

Just a heads up on a new speed camera system they are testing

It's a cylindrical pole about 2m high with 3 Perspex stripes on it (I assume they hide cameras, one for each lane of the highway), and there's some matching sensors on the far side of the road in the gutter.

Here's what it looks like :

Pq8FoFA.

aV9IVl9.

More details on how it works here if you're interested.

http://www.ceos.com.au/products/tirtl-content.htm

2. Nice spotting... I first noticed the big stripes in the gutter a few months ago, but haven't traveled that way in a while... will be sure to keep a closer eye on the situation. :)

3. This again? I thought we determined they weren't being used for enforcement....?

4. yep i thought the last thread came to that conclusion as well.... might go see if i can dig it up

5. Yep. They're heavy vehicle monitoring cameras: they record height and number of axles to compare to relevant speed limits.

Best part?

They've already been vandalised and taken out of service for repairs :grin:

Wonderful. Should be more of it.

6. +1, i was going to say, these things are heaps easier to spray paint then the standard ones. They have you climbing up poles, swinging from bridges, all sorts of time consuming shit. These, hell, feed your dog spray paint and he'll piss on it for you! :grin:

7. I thought these were the new speed cameras for Victoria? Made to look like a counter.

03122008054_1024.thumbnail.

But not

03122008053_1024.thumbnail.

8. hmmm, one's i've seen like that all have traffic survey written on the side in spray paint. I'm hoping so...
    i'm thinking the spray paint was a last minute ditch by the operator in a hope that they don't get destroyed by stray lumps of wood and metal...