Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD New learner rules

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by oldcorollas, Jul 26, 2015.

1. has this been posted yet?

Tougher rules for Qld bike licences | SBS News

Queenslanders may soon find it harder to get a motorcycle licence under new rules being considered to combat a spike in road deaths.
    The state government is thinking about introducing a learner licence practical test and extending the period riders spend on their L-plates and restricted licences.

There have been 32 motorcycle-related deaths in Queensland this year, a rise of 60 per cent over the same time last year.
    Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey is seeking community feedback after launching a discussion paper and an online survey on Sunday.

"It's in the first three years of getting their licence that the greatest risk is there for motorcycle riders," he said.
    "We're proposing a number of measures that we'd like to hear from the Queensland community about."

Car drivers who want a motorbike learner licence now do not have to sit a practical test.
    There is no minimum period before learners can take the practical test for a restricted licence.

They can graduate from the restricted licence, which has a zero-alcohol and no-passenger requirement, to an unrestricted licence in one year.

Motorcycle Riders Association of Queensland president Chris Mearns said a "pre-learners" exam would bring Queensland into line with most other states.

"At the minute what we're doing is giving people a learners' permit and saying, 'Here go and play on the road,'" he said.
    "Would you give your kids a new bike and say away you go?"

No Cookies | The Courier-Mail
    New laws to tackle ‘unacceptable’ spike in motorcycle deaths

MINIMUM learner periods for riders, an extension to zero-alcohol limits, and new mandatory tests and courses would be introduced under sweeping changes to motorcycle laws being considered by the state.

By July 23, there had been 32 motorcycle-related fatalities in Queensland this year, a 60 per cent increase on the same period last year, according to a discussion paper issued by the Department of Transport and Main Roads.

Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the spike in deaths was unacceptable.

The State Government is looking at a range of options, including a new minimum learner licence period for motorbike riders, an extension to the restricted licence period, new assessment requirements, and an overhaul of Q-Ride.
    There is currently no minimum period if riders take a Q-Ride course before taking the practical test. According to the Centre for Accident Research and Road Safety — Queensland, the median learner period is 27 days.

The Government is also considering creating a new mandatory pre-learner off-road course. An extension to the restricted licence period would also involve extending the time riders must adhere to a zero-alcohol limit and no passenger restriction.

In 2014, there were more than 190,000 registered motorcycles in the state, and more than 16 per cent of the state’s road toll involved motorcycle riders and passengers. Less than 5 per cent of vehicles were motorbikes.

“We want to ensure novice riders are better prepared for riding on the road and are provided with more opportunities for skill development before moving on to an unrestricted licence,” Mr Bailey said.

“Off-road practical training and assessment would ensure new riders gained basic riding knowledge and motorcycle-handling skills in a safe environment.”
  2. I think the statement at the top is wrong. It's implying that QLD learner's can go and get a permit and "play on the road".

QLD learners unlike other states require supervision and cannot ride on their own which the other states do.

I don't think it's accurate and blips in statistics like this can happen with no real link to the licensing system.

What they needed to present was:

1. Number of rides killed with respect to their stage in heir riding career. Are all these new deaths in those within 3 years of their licensing?

2. What proportion of the deaths were due to speed?

3. What proportion involved other vehicles and who was 'at fault'.

4. What were the ages of the killed motorcyclists?

That would ge a start. Otherwise they are really using what might be a random blip in the statistics for a knee jerk reaction.

The real answer might be to have an education campaign about road motorcycle awareness for drivers and toughen up car licensing for example. It might be increasing levels of inattention due to mobile phones and a need to crackdown on their use.

It's classical knee jerk, problem-reaction-solution government action.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Not only those questions but how many of those people were licensed in the first place or riding disqualified?

I do agree though I think more training is needed. I'll be honest here, my wife was able to get her opens after two Qride lessons and maybe a total of 10 days of riding over the spance of a year which is just crazy.

4. The Gold Coast City Council used to run SMART. It was a rider education course supported by HART and endorsed by Mick Doohan to help address the motorcycle fatalities that were escalating in the South East Queensland. Along came a new Council and they canned it because of the cost. How much can the buerocrats put on saving a life? Will changing the Learner program have the same effect, I doubt it!
  5. How many of these decision making people actually have a motorcycle licence? I am often told that I can never understand parenthood if I don't have children. I suggest it is truer to say that one can't understand motorcycling without a licence. Have they even heard of the phrase SMIDSY?
  6. No....don't extend the restricted period until at least after January '16!!!

Then, do what you like. :)
  7. Well, I got my learners permit in NSW in 85 and could then ride on the road by myself. In Qld, as a young person, you have to have done 12 months on your P plates, then pass a theory test on line. Then you can only ride with an open licenced rider who has 2yrs on their opens. Or you do the Q-ride. So I think at least in Qld currently people have more road experience than when I did mine. My son got his learners a few weeks ago but is yet to get on a bike. He'll do the q ride and then I'll take hims for a few weeks. I've told him to get off his arse and get into a course ASAP.
    I'd prefer they subsidized a Defensive rider course for after they get their P's, I reckon people would get more out of that than longer on their L plates. I'd sign my son up in a second
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. What's the root cause of the spike?

Seems like an over reaction.
  9. may be an over-reaction, but perhaps just wanted an excuse to bring the learner system up to the same level as NSW and now Victoria?

10. Is a spike, just, but the anomaly is actually the very low figures for 2014. Naturally they are going to spin crap with that apparent percentage increase.

Full pdf ound here: https://www.webcrash.transport.qld.gov.au/webcrash2/external/daupage/weekly/roadsense.pdf

Anyway, people can have their say here:
    Motorcycle licensing discussion paper: improving road safety for motorcycle riders in Queensland | Your say | Queensland Government
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Thanks for the link, questionnaire done
  12. These ridiculous laws in Queensland make my blood boil. fcuk this government.
  13. Motorcycle licensing under review as Gold Coast cops crackdown on Hinterland fatalities

World Champion Mick Doohan is pushing for stricter licensing in Queensland.

THE State’s motorcycle licensing needs to be brought in line with international standards to stop carnage on our roads, says five-time MotoGP world champion, Mick Doohan.

The racing legend’s push comes as the State Government reviews the structure around bike licensing and as Gold Coast police crack down on dangerous and inexperienced riders. Last year, 15 motorcycle riders died on south-east Queensland roads – 80 per cent of them on notorious Gold Coast Hinterland stretches. That was more than double the seven riders killed in 2014 and three times the five in 2013.

Doohan said the criteria around licensing was much more stringent in other countries. He said big changes would need to be made to address safety issues in Queensland.

“Until there is a legislation change in the licensing process there won’t be any change,” he said. “There needs to be a strong level of competency before riders hit the road. Most riders won’t go and do high-level training because of the time and the ongoing cost. I totally believe we need to up the levels required before a person is even given a licence.”

Doohan said inexperienced or returning riders were getting into trouble on high-powered bikes.

“Even if you rode 20 years ago, some of the sports bikes today are better, or as good as some of the grand prix bikes I was racing decades ago,” he said. “It feels like you can get away with a lot on these bikes but you still need to have the skills to get out of situations. The only way you can really test yourself is on a racetrack or going to advanced rider training courses – it’s money well spent. The roads are not a place you can take risks – there are too many obstacles and dangers.”

No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. All well and good but you still need less official training to drive a car, a bit of equity would be nice. All the rider training in the world won't stop a smidsy from some numpty who learnt to drive and got bad habits from their dodgy driving parent/gran/etc.

Cost of these courses would be (and are) prohibitive to me, much as I'd love to do some. So unless they were heavily subsidised Bike licences could sadly become out if reach for many young people.
  15. Out of curiosity, does Q'land still have the business of renting wee scooters to folk with only car licences?

The last time Angie and I were in Port Douglas, and it was only for a week, there was at least one fatal involving a car licenced renter of a scooter, and I found it really scarey seeing folk riding scooters when they obviously didn't have the foggiest idea what they were doing.
  16. Yes. And yes, it is scary. Mopeds are worse though. I think it is more that people are doing something they are not used to doing while on holidy than a problem with being allowed to ride them. I know of a couple of people that use an 'under 50cc' scooter on a car licence regularly who are competent. Many parts of Europe are the same, so I guess it could be said that QLD is ahead of the rest of Oz in that regard.
    I saw a guy on an electric bike (with pedals) in Melbourne years ago. Looked just like a scooter though, complete with room for luggage. He said he regularly got pulled over until he went to the cop shop and had them check it out and recognise it as legal. Was only wearing a bike lid too. He was riding it because he lost his licence for drinking. Not the safest rider on the road, I observed, as he rode off.
  17. Aye, I had forgotten the term "moped".

Sure there are probably lots of folk who do know what they are doing, but renting to holiday makers, some of whom my be confused by driving/riding on the "wrong" side of the road, some may not really know where they are going at times..... seems a recipe for getting hurt.

I know that, in Greece, the number of folk hurt riding rented mopeds and scooters eventually go so bad that the government clamped down and insist that a person must have a bike licence to rent one of those things.
  18. That actually might be a good thing. It might even make them better cagers.
  19. I reckon if kids started their road experience on mopeds or low powered scooters in daylight hours, restricted to town use only. They might develop a better understanding of the road before jumping in a car that does nearly everything for them.

People might be more considerate of bikes on the road if one of them is their kid( slim chance I guess).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. This makes me think of learners of all vehicles, not just bikes. I wonder how many of the incorrect actions taken by learner drivers under the supervision of their parents are simply learner mistakes or incorrect instructions.
    Here's a can of worms... compulsory road rules testing for licensed supervisors; you need to prove 25 years down the track that you will teach your fledgling correct driving/road rules.
    • Agree Agree x 1