Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Learner Laws (3 years or 1)??

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by ~eM~, May 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey guys,

    Sorry if this hve been mentioned already somewhere in the forums.. but ive tried searching and cant really come up with anything.

    My main question is regarding the new law where riders have to complete 3 years of Ps, rather than 1 which will be implemented in June.

    I have just completed my Ls, (before the implementation of the new law)
    However, do I fall under the old law where I only require to do 1 year of Ps?
    Or do I fall under the new law.

    Take into consideration that
    I do not fall into the mature age category
    I have completed my Ls test before June
    But I will not be eligible for my Ps test until after June.

    THanks for your help guys
  2. The new laws apply to the Provisional system.

    Thus, unless you get your Provisional licence before they come into effect, you will be on the new (3 year) system.
  3. Thanks for clearing that up mate
  4. According to the RTA:

    "Provisional rider licences issued before June 2009 will not come under the new system."

    So you come under the new system if you haven't got your provisional license yet and wont be able to get it before June.
  5. Unless: You have already done your Provisional time in a car, then you only need to do 1 year Restricted on your motorcycle.

    Do you have a full car license?

    That's how it works in vic...
  6. but not necessarily how it works in NSW. I haven't heard anything about the RTA giving car drivers reductions in their P time.

    I believe its to be: <25yo 3 yr, >25yo 1yr.
  7. I think in NSW, it works by having a full Cars lisence and also being over the mature age of 25.

    My situation here will be... im currently 23 on my Ls.
    I would probably get my Ps say about 24.
    Which means although I will be under the 3 year law, I will hate mature age (25) in one year, and having a full lisence already.

    Would that just mean I'm going to be on my Ps for approx 1 year or so anyway?
  8. Sounds like it :)
  9. Yep, it's true. You can upgrade your license to full, when you're 25 and with a full car license.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.