Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New laws target outlaw gangs

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dan, Jun 9, 2005.

1. from http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2005/s1385901.htm

Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Broadcast: 06/06/2005

New laws target outlaw gangs
    Reporter: Mike Sexton

KERRY O'BRIEN: For most people, a bikie turf war is a case of "out of sight, out of mind", but a series of violent incidents in the past week has police concerned that innocent bystanders could be caught in crossfire. In Sydney, a battle between the Rebels and the Nomads bikie gangs resulted in two arson attacks and a near-fatal assault. And in South Australia, police fear simmering tensions between the Rebels and the Hell's Angels gangs could erupt into full-scale war after shots were fired at a black-tie event last week. On another front, police intelligence suggests these outlaw gangs are infiltrating the security business as a cover for drug dealing. And now the South Australian Government has passed controversial new laws covering the licensing of crowd controllers which it hopes will curb the growing influence of the gangs. Mike Sexton reports.

MIKE SEXTON: It's Friday night in Adelaide. The nightclub strip in the city is filling up. And as much a part of the scene as bright lights and loud music are the bouncers or crowd controllers, whose job it is to keep the peace.

PHIL TSIPIANITIS, SECURITY MANAGER: You need someone that's confident, someone that even in a situation that might seem a bit scary, a bit tense, he can still sort of hold himself up and deal with it.

MIKE SEXTON: But recently, a sinister shadow has been cast over the security industry in this state, with reports that a significant number of crowd controllers are linked to outlaw bikies.

MICHAEL ATKINSON, SA ATTORNEY-GENERAL: The police tell us that eight out of 10 licensed venues in the central business district have crowd controllers supplied to them by companies associated with outlaw motorcycle gangs.

MIKE SEXTON: According to police, two bikie clubs, the Hell's Angels and the Rebels, are linked to a spate of violence, including shootings, bashings and bombings. Now they say the clubs are involved in providing security for some city nightclubs, which has created a new front in their turf war - something that reached a flashpoint last month at a black-tie function, at the Adelaide Dance Music Awards.

REPORTER: Furniture was upturned and shots fired at the music awards on Monday night after up to seven men stormed the building in front of hundreds of shocked guests.

REPORTER: Police in Adelaide have named the Hell's Angels and Rebels motorcycle gangs as being involved in Monday's brawl and shooting at Football Park.

POLICE SPOKESPERSON: This stems from a dispute between the clubs involving their association with two nightclubs in Adelaide.

MIKE SEXTON: The government is convinced bikies use their presence in the nightclubs as a front for selling drugs.

MICHAEL ATKINSON: Amphetamines and other drugs have been sold inside these premises. Very little is going over the bar in alcohol - a lot of water is going over the bar to dilute the effect of the drugs - and the crowd controllers are there to protect the trade in drugs by that gang.

MIKE SEXTON: Are there blokes who are crowd controllers who shouldn't be?

PHIL TSIPIANITIS: Look, that's - I can't say that there's not. I mean, in any industry, whether it's security or whether it's - whatever it may be - taxi driving, for example - you're going to get a few rotten apples.

STEVE WILLIAMS, FORMER GYPSY JOKERS PRESIDENT, SA: I think it's foolhardy and another desperate grasp at some sort of vote-grabbing. What do they call it? - grandstanding again.

MIKE SEXTON: Steve Williams is the former president of the Gypsy Jokers Motorcycle Club in South Australia. He's no longer involved with the club and now works as a security consultant and believes bikies are being unfairly targeted.

STEVE WILLIAMS: He seems to pick these areas where there's no particular spokesperson or no union or anything like that to answer back as a whole and paints a picture of these social bogey men - "We're going to get 'em, we're going to get 'em."

MIKE SEXTON: As a result of the drug allegations and the violence, the South Australian Government has introduced new laws designed to clean up the industry by taking away the licences of those considered undesirable. Under the new law, crowd controllers can be fingerprinted, subjected to random drug and alcohol tests and, most significantly, in a similar way to the old consorting laws, could have their licence rebuked if they're known associates of criminals or bikies.

CHIEF INSPECTOR ASHLEY LANGE, SA LICENSING ENFORCEMENT: Yes, we will target specific people in that industry that our intelligence holdings would suggest that they need specific attention to be paid in relation to those.

MICHAEL ATKINSON: No-one has a right to be a crowd controller. They're so important at our venues that I'm willing to take the risk that 1,000 or 2,000 of them will be removed from the trade and that indeed we may have a shortage of licensed crowd controllers for a period to clean up the trade.

MIKE SEXTON: Phil Tsipianitis believes the key to a bouncer being effective is experience, knowing who's who and anticipating trouble. Part of that is getting to know patrons, including bikies.

PHIL TSIPIANITIS: I've been in situations where there happens to be a certain person in a certain club, inside there having a drink and I know that when another mob sort of turn up, there's going to be fuel for fire there. In doing so, in sort of knowing what's what and what's happening, I have averted a lot of trouble sometimes.

MIKE SEXTON: In theory under the new laws, a crowd controller could lose his licence for that association. The Law Society of South Australia has written to the Attorney-General, Michael Atkinson, arguing that the legislation risks going against one of the foundations of the legal system - the presumption of innocence. Mr Atkinson concedes that the law runs the risk of removing innocent crowd controllers but believes it's a risk worth taking.

MICHAEL ATKINSON: We're going to crack down through this legislation and bring in a law that, on its face, could be quite unjust in its operation. Many of these people we're targeting are cleanskins - they don't have any convictions - but nevertheless, they need to be removed from the trade because of their association with the gangs.

STEVE WILLIAMS: They could take your licence and not even tell you. This guy's just writing up the rules as he goes.

MIKE SEXTON: Lou Klement runs a pub in the centre of the city and employs crowd controllers for his busy days. He hasn't had a fight here for three years but worries that that will change if the predictions that thousands of bouncers will leave the industry come true. He fears such a dramatic reduction will leave him with inexperienced guards on his door.

LOU KLEMENT, HOTEL MANAGER: My personal opinion, I don't think it will help in any way. I've had the same security company here for a number of years and the guys that I've had working here, I don't know them personally, I don't know their history or background. As long as they're doing the job right here, I'm happy with those particular individuals.

MIKE SEXTON: Tonight clubs will be open and crowd controllers will be on the doors. How many will continue to work will be a test of the government's tough stand and the intelligence it's based on.

STEVE WILLIAMS: It's going to affect the guys who are bringing home the bread and butter for their families there.

MICHAEL ATKINSON: These gangs are engaging in a war with one another and the danger is that members of the public will be harmed in the crossfire
  2. So a crowd controller
    The old consorting laws were a great success, weren't they? (Not - that's why we don't have them any more.)

Anyone here think this is fair or reasonable? What does "association" mean? What degree of association is necessary before someone is "removed from the trade"? Who makes that decision? What standards do they use? Is there a right of appeal?

Why do I get the feeling that a lot of people who are keen on "law and order" have no idea at all what the Rule of Law means?
  3. yet another example of pollies and beaurocrats that can't get one original idea between them all.

if in doubt... legislate .... don't think about it, don't study the history, don't involve the participants and don't dare to ever "look outside the square" just burden the population with more unenforceable laws. We're already over legislated.

Then again, there is ALWAYS more to the issue that the ABC (or any group of journalists) ever show. IMHO (and experience) the ABC is just as one eyed and biased as any of the Packer/Murdoch owned media.

4. as my very wise old dad used to say,

"If you throw a stone into a pack of dogs, the one that yelped is the one you hit."
  5. So hypothetically... if I happen to be riding along the road one day... in Adelaide and happen along a Patch Club member riding the same way and we get seen together, am I associating? Will I be targeted if I go on a Toy Run that has heaps of support from patch club members? If I go around to my cousins place for a visit and stay the night because we get rolling stollickin drunk (as you do), will I be targeted because he is a Patch club member? God forbid... I would be a real bad person obviously... :evil: :shock:
  6. I think talking tough about "association" is just that - a pollie trying to sound like he is on top of the crooks, making up rules as he goes along. I doubt a court in this country today would convict a person with no proirs for associating with bad types.
  7. I for 1 feel that most of you on here are safe, as you wouldnt be seen dead with one of those big,mean, ungly,unwashed, uncouth, neanderthal bikers. so wot you all worryin bout.

and guilty by association has been round for many years now, just ask the west coast eagles footy players
  8. I've heard the main thing thing they are trying to acheive with this law is for employers (esp government employers) to be able to sack people with criminal records (various offences) or who have "associations with biker groups", not actually charge you with it. They claim to be trying to clean up the docks and the baggage handlers.
  9. Your right Bob I dont even know anyone who rides a Harley!!
  10. Just as a smith-aside... how do you get a negative post total?

11. Gods I hate this.

Adelaide's a grungy town, not prettified and fake like Sydney or Melbourne. I could walk down Hindley St and know that even though it wasn't the nicest place to be at least it wasn't full of sodding Nike billboards. It was, for lack of a better word, "real". About the closest you can get over here in Melbourne is the grungier areas of Little Bourke St.

And Adelaide's pollies and media people are continually trying to 'clean it up' and make it just another sanitised "World City". Just give up, lads, you're a big-assed country town full of all the good and bad things a country town has.

12. In the earlier days of Netrider when there was not as much space to store the forum on some of the older post's regulary got deleted and some days (unless you had several posts per day) you would see your post count going backwards, hence the -10
  13. So, in SA at least, don't bother to try and "go straight" if you have a criminal record, cos the government wont employ you.

Don't choose your own friends either, big brother wont like it.

The anti discrimination courts are gunna have a field day with this one.

14. yep, because it is still proposed legislation, it'll fall dead flat on it's arse - and the pollie who put it forward should be sacked for incompetence under the Stupid Legislation Act 1965.
  15. Dan ,Dan ,Dan. mate time you hit the real world son, employers have been able to sack you if you have a criminal record esspecially the government employers for many years. they have and will continue to do crim history checks, security firms have been conducting crim history checks as well. I work in both industries and have seen many a good man loose his job because of a criminal history dating back over 10 years but none since but because it is on your file you loose your job.

funny thing is they employ you and conduct crim history check, as or after they employ you then when it comes back tarnished then they sack you.
  16. A lot of agencies also ask on thier forms if you have been convicted of any criminal activity.
  17. I work as a security guard in adelaide, Im a static guard at a foundary where they caste wheels for Harley Davidson and some oil pans for holden and ford.

The place is full of bikies, one of the blokes who rides a expensive looking bike to work in the morning aparently is incharge of a Hells angels chapter.

He seems alright I guess.

The wrost bikies are the ones who dont own a bike, the pledges/newbies who go around causing the trouble most of them drive old shitboxes.

As for crowd controlling, Im not interested in doing it, the award in this state is $20 a hour flat on sat,sun and public holidays I earn $40 a hour doing static guard work on a sundary and I pretty much do shit all.

No wonder crowd controlers are all dead heads the money is shit house.

As for which clubs are bikie run Ill tell you

Heaven has a hells angels influence
    Cargo has a rebels influence

The dance awards which were shot up a week or so back happened because the heaven night club invited hells angels to the event then some rebs came and shot it up.

Its easier to get a pill than a beer at heaven or cargo.

Keep away from the joint if your from adelaide or visiting.

As for the association laws, well they may go against federal law, Im not sure but Im not worried because I dont know any "one percenters" and being a static guard Im exempt from the breathe & drug testing.