Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New laws for P plate drivers

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by vic, Apr 18, 2007.

1. I can't see how it'll help save lives by preventing people from driving some of the better handling and crash tested cars on the market. :?

In terms of power alone as a factor, of those younger drivers killed, how many died directly as a result of driving those specific cars at a higher speed than can be reached in a 6cyn family Commodore? My guess would be nearly if not zero.

Until they provide some evidence that these restrictions would help, then I would have to suggest it's nothing more than P plater bashing. After all, we've had vehicle restrictions in place for well over 10 years now. Surely if there was any value in them, they'd have been enforced during that time. :?

Sounds to me like political safety is the main issue. If people no longer see P plates on cars that look fast, it may create the impression that the hoons have been taken care of. :)
  2. Short answer: nope.

The restrictions aren't going to be significantly more different than the current laws - perhaps just easier to enforce (and therefore fine :p).

Out of interest - do the old power-to-weight and capacity-to-weight laws still apply? Anyone for an S2000? ;)
  3. I think restricting high powered cars would help, I know for myself when i first got my car i was a inexperienced maniac.

I did not need to be in a faster car.

Then again my view is bias i have been on my full license for a couple of yrs now, so the laws don't affect me.
  4. Also my friend license was suspended for driving a high powered turbo charged car.
  5. At least the Victorian Safetycrats have excluded the tiny turbocharged 3 cylinder 689cc Suzuki Cappucino and the 4 cylinder 659 cc Daihatsu Copen Convertible from these restrictions.....unlike the idiots in NSW when they adopted similar laws. (they have since excluded them after the expected uproar)

Personally, I can't see a problem with the current power to weight law..... :?
  6. Well we've done it in NSW, and ... oh, what's that?

"It's done f*** all" you say?

Oh dear, that sounds like an awful waste of time then. I sure hope at least the same or a smaller number of kids have killed themselves on the road since they brought the laws in.

"More" you say?

Hmmm, better make it 300 hours on their L's then...
  7. Yeah, it's had as much effect as double demerit points on holidays etc..... :grin:
  8. A mate of my little brother has got an exemption he got his car a few months ago before it was announced and got a Lexus Sorer (6 Turbo) and then that law came in and he can't get his P's before 1/07/07 so he went to Vic roads and they gave him an exemption slip. Also if your family only has one car and it is over you can also get an exemption. So if daddy drives a 911 GT3 you can drive that on your P's :grin:
  9. So was I, but I was much safer at speed in my V8 Falcon, than I was at the same speed in my Corolla. And given than your std Falcon, Crummydore 6cyl (which is still legal) is more powerful than most ~pre 2000 V8, what's the point really?
  10. WTF. So Victoria is going to drop the power/weight limit which at least makes some sense and adopt the NSW policy of "anything with a turbo is bad" even though a turbo Saab/Volvo/Mercedes/etc. is probably the safest car a P-plater could drive.
    Clearly the Government thinks it's far better that p-platers go out and buy a RWD 6-cylinder sedan - even though the last few p-plater fatalities that I've noticed in the media have involved just such vehicles losing control on corners. They may not be turbo or v-8 powered they'll still go pretty damn fast given a long enough stretch of road and simply aren't designed for cornering at speed (especially with an inexperienced driver that thinks they're an experienced one). A car's engine and/or power output is only part of the equation - there's quite a few cars that come in under the "approved" category that are definately not suitable for p-platers (mid-engined cars for example).
  11. Didnt this come out years ago and know one took too much notice of it..
    Now lets see Turbocharged and V8's and whatever else...

My BF II XR6 in the wrong hands could cause just the same amount of trouble.

If they want to be serious they should make it 4cyls only, thats a start. Then you must pass an extensive advanced driving course as part of your licence test. And finally if you are caught doing something stupid on your probationary (which means probation) licence, then too bad mate you loose it, dont get it back and have to wait at least 12 months then start again. That means sit your L's and go through it all again..
  12. Not really, a mid-engined 4 cylinder for example is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a AWD or FWD turbo/V8, especially on a wet road. Something like a Lotus Exige may be out of most p-platers budgets but a Toyota MR2 or MGF would be easily affordable for many. Even 2nd hand Honda S2000s are getting cheap and those produce more hp than early Aussie V8s.
  13. Derrr, don't you know, teaching people how to drive properly makes them more dangerous drivers! Don't you ever listen to the government? Geez!

Which is, as you pointed out, why Victoria's new laws are bloody stupid considering all those types of cars were banned before.
  14. Not in NSW unfortunately. The family car in my case was a VT SS, the RTA's exact words were "too bad," so to date, no cage license for me. The only way they would grant an exception is if you have a shitlisted 4WD, and you live in a rural area.
  15. only one way to actually solve the "problem" they're trying to fix.

instead of a list of restricted types of engine/vehicle, have a list of specific vehicles that you can drive. I'm sure it would effect market values on such cars and things, but there are too many variables with cars. Like in Japan, tax on big motors, they make small fast ones.

I'm not 100% on how LAMS in NSW works, but a similar thing could work, (not reducing fatalaties but having the desired outcome of restricting P plate power), giving P platers a list of acceptable vehicles.

It's not as specific in Victoria, but when you get a bike on your Ls or Ps, you're on a 250, that's the way it is. So for them to do what they intend, on your Ps? you're in a pulsar or corolla or something.

It's not something I would like, or choose, but IMO the only effective way to acheive their desired result.
  16. The Government would never go for that idea....it actually makes sense.
    Restricting them to sedans and hatchbacks would also make it easier for enthusiasts to find an early Japanese sportscar that hasn't been riced-up or wrapped around a tree by some "fully sik" 18 year old ;).
  17. Didn't do jack schit in NSW. Its just a knee-jerk reaction instead of investing in better roads/better driver training.
  18. although thanks to them blokes front cuts are cheap.... oh.... and i charged a mate $400 to convert his skyline to RWD. He happily paid, "sh!t that's cheap it's a fair bit of work!"... so after removing the fuse that "converts" it from AWD to RWD...... I felt guilty and gave him his money back.

It did nice burnouts though.
  19. :LOL: Too true. Always find it amusing (and a little scary) to look at the cars parked at the Uni each day - particularly the number of RWD cars (mainly Commodores) that all have identical vertical dents in the left rear quarter panel.