Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Law About Riding Illegal bike size!

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Shiftt, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It has been awhile since i have posted or been on here.. but work tends to keeo be busy:( But hello again folks!
    Ok so anyways just recently i went for my full lic (passed) The instructor told me that come July 31st There is a new law coming in with people riding bikes past there cc limit. Rather then just being a 100 and something doller fine and no points. It will be a $300 fine and 3 points!
    Has anyone else heard about this?
    cheers!

2. Makes sense. With LAMS coming in there'll really be no excuse for riding something not on the approved list anyway (other than the usual "I'm better than everyone else so the rules don't apply to me" attitude).

3. Yes, this is consistent with the other LAMS states. However it is a bit funny.
    Why?
    In NSW if you hold a full drivers licence (over 5 years) and are over 30 years of age you qualify for the mature age rider scheme. It means after you do you full licence test first no P's and you can ride any cc bike (but no pillion for 12 months). If you don't qualify, then you need to wear your P plates and getting caught oversize is what you mentioned.

I believe in SA it is $300 and 2 points.

I not sure if VIC will have the mature age scheme.

4. 1. There are absolutely no plans for a mature rider scheme in Victoria.
    2. NSW and other states are considering dropping their mature rider schemes.
    3. While it is very likely that there will be increases in fines and that you will lose points - NOTHING is settled as yet. If anybody says it is definite then they are talking crap. I don't care who they are or what they claim to know - that is absolute fact.

At the last VMAC meeting the news on LAMS was that it is on track for implementation on July 1 2008.

5. I don't know why NSW would be considering dropping the Mature-Age scheme; in my opinion other states should be thinking of adopting it....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.