Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New KLR owner

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Latelifefun, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Hi I have had a new KLR650 NE for a month now and looking to join up with like minded over 50s in the South East Melbourne for Adventure rides. Forum sound s like a great way to get the word out.

2. Welcome, there are a few adventure riders on here among the road riders. Hope you can catch uo with some of them.
  3. Welcome to Netrider mate
  4. Gday KLR fun and welcome, you got a good machine there im a bit partial to klrs and was seriously considering one not too long ago. Have you done any mods to yours
  5. At this stage only some crash bars and derestricted by dealer. Next is the stay tune exhaust and gps
  6. #6 dobbo, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Hi mate & welcome.

I have been into the adventure scene for quite a few years now, I have a DR650 capable of 700km on one tank of fuel.
    However, I dont post much on here regarding my rides/setup or gear. As I have found most here are into the blacktop travel scene.
    you'd find plenty of helpful tips here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32

In my opinion, the first thing I'd invest in is crash protection, bash plate, alloy bars, barkbusters, pannier racks. As you are destined to drop the bike, but beyond cosmetic damage (which I dont even bother with, if you intend adventure riding) is the ability for your bike and you to continue.
    A broken clutch lever can cause a lot of hassles if in the middle of the Vic high country.
    I have never bothered with a staintune, as I need reliability and fuel economy, you will need atleast a 400km fuel range for most places of the beaten track (it's good to have a spare 100km left in the tank).

7. #7 dobbo, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
    Sorry mate, added and extra link but each time i posted it, it would change to the netrider web address.

Just google. Aus Touring
  8. Thanks for the suggestions. Crash protection is definitely the way to go
  9. Theres accesories galore for the klr650 and sites like wolfman luggage saddlebags and touratech to name a couple have all sorts of goodies. Lot of guys get staintunes it does help them breathe a bit more. May i suggest an alternative to that too, theres a guy in QLD called Terry Kelly who makes TK Pipes and does them for all the bigbore adventurers. They sound really throaty and in my opinion less tinny than a staintune but im not sure if hes still operating, just google tkpipes i bought gear off him few years ago now. He ships stuff out real quick too even before you make payment top bloke
  10. Yep I guess the natural progression will be towards overnite soon and the saddlebags will be a must. Right now looking to get on rides with riders in my area and get some miles up. Thanks for info
  11. Did you buy your klr new what colour is it
  12. Yes bought brand new and kermit green.