Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Jacket Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by River, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Hi all Netriders,

I'm looking at purchasing a new jacket soon, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I'm not interested in getting a leather one (no offence meant to anyone that has one) :)

I ride in Nth Qld so any jacket that has great ventilation would be fantastic, as would something that is waterproof. :cool:

Looking at a budget of $500 to spend.
    Thank you for taking the time to read my post :)
  2. Hmm, not sure if there's jackets that are ventilated and w/proof AT THE SAME TIME. You can get waterproof jackets that are ventilated, but when you open the vents or take out the w/proof liner, they would no longer be waterproof.
  3. I got my textile RSt from The Melbourne motorcycle Expo last year for $99. ..Altho it gets pretty hot sometimes, even with the liner taken out.
    There are quite a few online stores about for jackets. :)
  4. I`ve been using a 300 denier textile jacket that is waterproof and breathes. They are ligher weight and comfortable. Leather can be heavy and until you break em in, stiff to wear. I recently read some good reviews about this jacket: http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Ja...kets-Mens-Pokerun-Drifter-2-Motorcycle-Jacket
    and have ordered one which is currently in transit from the States. It has that classic bomber style with all the good stuff to stop losing bark if you take a slide.
    I personally always prefer the proper fit of a jacket with no flapping around. This website have the inch measurements to get the fit just right. They look the goods but if your interested, I`ll post up a review as soon as I receive it and go for a test ride.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I your location I'd go for a Mesh Jacket and back it up with maybe a light rain jacket under your seat. You'll probably need mesh in Summer anyway so might end up with more than 1 jacket if the mesh doesn't work out in cooler months (it should).

This is the Mesh jacket I have http://www.bikersgearaustralia.com....TY4NQ==&Txid=a60d589aed1ca1ce186f91d517600e0b
    It has a liner and is supposedly waterproof with the liner but I haven't tested that. I'm too lazy to stick the liner back in so just swap jackets when it's cooler. Sometimes wear a different jacket on the same day on different rides during the day/evening.
  6. I have one like that too and it's not really waterproof, more sprinkle resistant.

I also have a cheap (sub-$150) "breathable" waterproof winter jacket. It's properly waterproof but not really breathable, and anything above 25C starts getting unpleasant. Not what you'd want in the tropics.

I've had good experiences with my Goretex hiking jacket in pretty much all temperatures (with appropriate layers underneath). You can get Goretex riding gear, too; it's expensive, but gets good reviews. e.g. something like this http://geezerwithagrudge.blogspot.com.au/2009/02/product-review-aerostich-darien-jacket.html
  7. water proof and breathes = gor tex = expensive.
    most of the big brands make them. just sort the range by price highest first.
  8. I know you said not leather, but I live further north than you, ride all year round. Purchased a new perforated kangaroo leather custom tailor fit jacket from Comet racing leathers for only a $100 above what your looking to spend. I ride in the rain, hot, cold, what ever. Rode everyday in it when I recently rode half way round the country. From around 8c to just over 40c plus humidity. My mate has one similar, same story.

The airflow is brilliant. I only use the zip in vest in the rain and some leather conditioner.
  9. I've worn an Alpinestars mesh jacket in Borneo and it was great. Stuck waterproofs over the top when it rained.
  10. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'm going shopping this weekend to see what is available :cool: