Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New (ish) riders for group discussion paid $80

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' at netrider.net.au started by Lauren, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently Learnt to ride (past 2 years)?

We are conducting discussion groups with riders of motor bikes and scooters in the Richmond and Narre Warren suburbs of Melbourne and would love your input. These discussions are conducted as an informal group (about 5 people) and last 2 hours, the topic is about the learning to ride experience, support, courses available etc… your input into what the learning experience was like.

All respondents are thanked with $80 for their time to contribute and we would love to hear from you.

These sessions are being run in the evenings the week of the 20th August.

Additional Information - in response to some queries
    These groups are of up to 6 people per session
    The research is being conducted by Ipsos on behalf of Monash University’s Institute of Transport Studies (not MUARC)
    We are looking to find out more about people who have recently learnt to ride about their learning and riding experiences, including what led them to take up motorcycle or motor scooter riding in the first place.
    It’s a qualitative study using discussion groups to help develop a questionnaire in the future but all responses are anonymous in that findings are not attributed to individual who take part. The research will be conducted in line with the university’s own ethics committee and the Australian Market and Social Research Society’s privacy guidelines.

If you are interested in participating, please contact Lauren on 0451 159 411 or email Lauren.Brewin@Iview.com.au

*THANKS!!

2. Who are you ?
    What happens to the information gained ?
    Who's paying the $80 ?

WHO ARE YOU WORKING FOR ??

MODS isan't it about time this was stopped ?

3. Paging Flipper...

4. Poster asked for permission and was approved by admin.
    She will add more info as it comes and she is well aware about our wariness when it comes to surveys.

5. As Smee has said the poster has asked permission so we can only wait for the additional information. I would say:

Please outline
    - the size of the focus group.
    - the methodology of determining results.
    - Your organisation employers.
    - The organisation that will receive and use the information gained.
    - The purpose for which the information is being gathered.
    - Will the report be made public in its entirety.
    - Will statements of uncertainty be made on the results in line with standard statistical practice.

6. tell them nothing

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wtf and wtf plus really WTF ?

8. After my experience with a focus group, with a trained facilitator working to a script, manipulating the conversation to suit the proposed point/objective of those paying for the focus group, I'd be very wary of such groups in the future. They are not consultation.

If this is something different to a focus group, then I'm interested to hear more about it.

9. Hi Everyone,

thanks for the comments and feedback. Some additional information to answer some queries:
    Additional Information - in response to some queries

These groups are of up to 6 people per session

The research is being conducted by Ipsos on behalf of Monash University’s Institute of Transport Studies (not MUARC)

We are looking to find out more about people who have recently learnt to ride about their learning and riding experiences, including what led them to take up motorcycle or motor scooter riding in the first place.

It’s a qualitative study using discussion groups to help develop a questionnaire in the future but all responses are anonymous in that findings are not attributed to individual who take part. The research will be conducted in line with the university’s own ethics committee and the Australian Market and Social Research Society’s privacy guidelines.

Sorry but we are not aware if the research shall be published once the final stages are completed. This is the initial stage.

Unfortunately I am not hot :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Quick Google search does NOT reveal any direct relationship with MUARC, the psychology faculty, or TAC. There are links to the Dept of Transport (obviously), and most of the expertise seems to be in economics, management and sustainability.

http://www.eng.monash.edu.au/civil/research/centres/its/

"The Institute of Transport Studies (Monash) aims to progress transport knowledge and practice to contribute to the prosperity and sustainability of industry and the wider community"

Can't find anything adverse at this stage. I think it's probably what it claims to be.

11. Deleted - posted in wrong thread

12. You could just get a bike jump on and go for a ride and find out why...

13. Aren't Ispos a research group? So Monash are conducting research for a research group. Who is the one driving Ipsos and why? :-k

Don't ask the TAC then. Riding a bike is apparently an abnormal miscreant behaviour that requires a series of social engineering commercials and strategies to reset the rider's brain to comply with the prevailing safety paradigm.

It's good to ask new riders, don't forget it might also be valuable to ask older riders why they are still doing it, especially those that have had prangs.

A future questionnaire? Of learners? To what end? :-k

We're all hot in our own way.:)

14. "including what led them to take up motorcycle or motor scooter riding in the first place"

Now, why would you want to know that, I wonder?

15. I'm buggered if I know why you'd need a survey to answer that question.
    A. Because its an economical and convenient mode of transport
    Or
    B. For pleasure.
    Job done, a fortune in taxpayers money saved. Anything else you need?

16. A statistic with which to enforce or guide an agenda, presumably..

17. Mornign Everyone,

We are recruiting for the Ipsos team that are conducting the research for the University.

Like the comments re why taking up riding - economic, enjoyable etc very true!

Thanks for your comments and feedback - we've had some good responses but am still hoping a few more people may be interested to participate and contribute in Richmond - we now have extended into next week for discussions on Tuesday.

Thanks

18. yesum! I'm not affiliated in any way with the above poster :)

19. Lol seriously so many crazy reactions in this thread is everyone here 80 years old or something ?

At worst you get $80 and since these things are normally anonymous ....

At best (imo) you get to influence research into motorcycles.

My 2c

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.