Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

New Honda VTR250F

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Nooky, Aug 8, 2008.

1. I don’t know if it’s been posted yet but this is the new Honda VTR250F
    At first glance it looks the same but it actually has a much more modern design with the new headlight + cover and exhaust etc. FI is also a welcome addition, hence the “F†in the name…

I still prefer the Ninja 250R. Yamaha is also joining the fight.

2. Hmm so more than 15 years ago the Japanese manufacturers battled over the 250cc market producing bikes with up to (and unofficially in excess of) 45hp.
    Now with fuel injection and other supposed advances in technology we're going to get 250s producing 32hp or so?
    Yay for progress. :roll:

Seriously if there is such a supposed demand for 250s in the UK why bother tarting up the VTR when there's a perfectly good fuel-injected, 4-cylinder, 40hp, 250 Hornet still being produced. :?
  3. Because in the UK, learners can have up to 33hp (not a power/weight ratio; absolute power).

The VTR250, with its mighty 32hp, squeaks in nicely.

I think the new one looks pretty neat. A bit more streetfightery. :)
  4. I would think the power is down because its a twin cylinder- loads more torque, should be a lot stiffer and lighter than older bikes.

i do hope it ends up 6 speed in the end.
  5. Ahh I see - guess that limits options in this country a bit as far as new learner bikes go then.
    If the Yamaha, Honda, and Kawasaki 250s are all going to be producing identical power outputs then I guess choice is really just going to come down to price and looks.
  6. Yeah I realise it's a twin but given how much the output of larger v-twin engines has increased over the last decade you'd think the smaller engines could have increased by at least a couple of hp. Fit fuel-injection to a '91 Spada and you'd actually have a far more advanced bike.

Oh and I think you'll find a p-4 250 does in fact have more torque than a twin - just not as broad a torque curve ;).
  7. Yeah, Australia's sorta stuck between a rock and a hard place for motorcycle options, especially with the no-parallel-import-for-vehicles laws set up to protect our local motorcycle manufacturers (ah-hah-hah-haaah) and our tiny tiny motorcycle market.

The 33hp UK/Europe power limit is a huge market compared to Australia, so it's no surprise that bike manufacturers are making models tailored to those requirements.

At the end of the day, the minimonster's 32 horsepower did me just fine when I was learning. What it loses in top-end, it makes up for with a (for a 250) pretty strong midrange and low end, and sheer width of the torque curve. Lots of pulling power from 5000-6000rpm up to redline. :)
  8. Yeah there's nothing particularly wrong with the VTR by any means - but for those that plan on doing a lot of highway kays on restrictions (like I did) a larger, smoother, more powerful 4-cylinder has definite advantages.
    Just be nice if people actually had that choice when buying new - without coughing up 10k for a CB400.
  9. *chuckles* oh yeah. I'll be the last to defend the VTR250's freeway comfort. The novelty of riding a VTR from Melbourne to Geelong and back sorta wore thin after 8 months. :LOL:

Very much a bike for romping around urban environments and twisty roads.. not so much long-haul superslabbing.

On that note... (and wandering off-topic for a moment) it's a real pity that the Deauville made itself non-LAMS with its extra displacement and power in recent times. Deauville would have been ideal for learner touring enthusiasts.

Edit: Come to think of it, what 'sport-touring' options are there for the LAMS crowd? GS500 faired, perhaps.. Any others? :-k
  10. Might be a pity, but it's understandable. Deauville needed a bigger engine to be a better bike for its intended purpose and if that placed it outside LAMS, who cares? Australian (and not even whole of Australia at that) LAMS market is a drop in the ocean, of no concern when it comes to global planning for Honda or any other manufacturer. Yes, it's a pity but that's the reality of the situation.

As for this VTR... why still only 5 gears?!? And I can't tell from the above picture, but I really hope they resisted the temptation to replace current gauges with some stupid digital display...
  11. Fuel Injected 250cc bike. Is that the first we've seen in Australia? I know the Ninja 250R is available in fuel injected form in other markets.

I like the idea of fuel injection, because it'll give better mileage, easier cold starting, more stable idling and less maintenance. But if I was in the market for a new 250, I'd still go the 250R. The Honda looks ugly without full fairing. And freeway riding will suck.

Why is it still five speed? Even my 1993 Honda 250 is 6 speed.
    I like the idea of a 142kg dry weight though.

Also knowing honda, this bike might end up being expensive?
  12. In defence of the 5 speed 'box... It doesn't really NEED a sixth gear - the revs fall nicely from gear to gear and line up well with the shape of the torque curve, it doesn't have enough power to go faster than ~150kph anyway...

IMHO a sixth gear on a VTR250 is just dead weight, wasted acceleration from added rotational inertia, and a frustrating extra gearchange crammed into a well-spaced gearbox.
  13. I think the fuel injection is more to do with emissions control, along with the catalytic converter. I hate to think what this will add to the new price of a VTR which is already, what, $8K?. The CB400 would end up looking like a bargain.
  14. Yeah they won't have much room to move with the LAMS CB400. I suspect they won't raise the price of the VTR much anyway, its already a fair bit more expensive than the nicer looking Ninja 250r (which is what, $7k onroad?).
  15. looks good, nice to see they've modernised it & continued the new design ideas through all models now
  16. It's not about going faster, it's about lower revs at steady legal-or-thereabouts speeds when you're just droning on down the road - something we do a fair bit here in Oz. (I mean 6th gear would be overdrive). I agree that extra gear is not necessary but it would just make the bike more useable in our conditions... every now and then a question comes up, 'can you tour on a 250cc?' Well, yes - you can, and things like overdrive 6th would make it more comfortable.

I know from experience that when I did a 500 kilometers+ days on my CB250, I spent a fair bit of that time wishing I had this extra gear...
  17. *nod* I've done several 800km days on the VTR250, so I know where you're coming from.

But I'm unconvinced that it would benefit from a taller top gear. Peak torque is 8500rpm, and at freeway speeds it's 'ticking over' at 7700rpm or so. If its freeway cruise rpm were much slower, it wouldn't have the power available to maintain speed on a gentle incline or in headwind situations.

I found the bigger issues for me touring in the VTR250 were legroom (I'm f'n tall), seat comfort, and avoiding dehydration. But, YMMV.
  18. You're right - it probably wouldn't. That's when the gearbox comes into its own - you downshift :) The point is, you have an option of using a 'cruise' gear when the conditions are appropriate for cruising. Nobody forces you to use a tall gear when it isn't appropriate...
  19. i would buy one.

really though, the chaissis, engine and running gear are no different.
    arguments over 5 vs 6 speed box have been covered so many time on this forum, there are advantages for it being a 5 speed box believe it or not.
    so far as power, if you want more power from a twin buy a spada, they put out 38PS, the old VTR250F (the one produced in the 80s) put out 36PS. if you were an uber knobber you would be able to get similar figures with this model with a can, power comander and raising the rev ceiling.

strengthened head stock is a good improvement, the old ones would fatigue, even start to crack with hard riding and many kays.
    also amazing they kept the weight down with FI and a friggen catylitic converter.

if you you want to associate a sore arse with long days, sure this probably isnt the bike for you, but let me tell you the VTR250 will happily sit on ten grand all day doing 130.
  20. As it's a model update you can't compare the cost against the current model. Just because the Ducati 1098 has much more to offer than the 999 it replaced doesn't mean it went up in price. With the fancy electronics, display, bigger engine etc. it is actually cheaper ($25,995 compared to the 999 which cost $28,995 as a new model).

So the VTR250f should cost no more than the current model. and I'd suggest since our dollar is stronger against the Yen, compared to when the 1999 vtr250 was released, Honda Australia should be able to secure a better deal for the new model and offer it to us for a lower price again.

$7,000-$7,500 on the road should be a reasonable figure.

Interesting is the news of a strengthened headstock on the frame. Might this suggest more loads are expected on this element of the frame? If so it might give a clue to a faired VTR250 in the pipelines also, which requires a headlight/fairing mounted to the headstock. A sports VTR250S perhaps?